The Student Room Group

Year 12 - revision tips??

I have decided to start making revision materials now while we are all at home but my subjects aren’t really compatible with conventional revision methods like flash cards etc. I am taking English Lit, History and Law. Can anyone give me ideas? Also while we are on the subject how do you stay motivated because I’m going to have to start my coursework and EPQ soon but I’m finding it hard to complete my set work.
If you look at the subject forums on TSR, you will get some good revision tips :smile:
Original post by Ashstudent1
I have decided to start making revision materials now while we are all at home but my subjects aren’t really compatible with conventional revision methods like flash cards etc. I am taking English Lit, History and Law. Can anyone give me ideas? Also while we are on the subject how do you stay motivated because I’m going to have to start my coursework and EPQ soon but I’m finding it hard to complete my set work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCDctD84wDU I take History, Politics and Law and will be making a video on revision techniques soon.

Try not to focus too hard on making notes and be a total perfectionist. Look at notes on other sites or on youtube etc, then adapt it, making your own often take up more time than it should.
Try not to be too colourful. Keep it to three colours, a black pen, a red pen/neon highlighter for very important stuff, and a dull highlighter for other should-be-memorised stuff.
Ideally, write everything in black pen, and at the end of each session (?) highlight the stuff. This force you to think critically 'what's important and what isn't' and to reread everything you have written.
Scribble on your notes, cross stuff out, don't keep it an artwork to be admired (print them out if you're afraid to 'ruin' them)
Try not to do them digitally, except for lengthy paragraphs etc
I'm a science student, but this works for me. Hope it helps you too. I have a friend who got A* History by memorising all the books and sample essays, but most of us ain't doing that I think.
Also, (maybe unpopular opinion) EPQ is a bit useless, don't waste too much time on it. I guess it just a nice one line to have on your PS? You can drop it after getting your offers though.
Original post by Arctic Kitten
Try not to focus too hard on making notes and be a total perfectionist. Look at notes on other sites or on youtube etc, then adapt it, making your own often take up more time than it should.
Try not to be too colourful. Keep it to three colours, a black pen, a red pen/neon highlighter for very important stuff, and a dull highlighter for other should-be-memorised stuff.
Ideally, write everything in black pen, and at the end of each session (?) highlight the stuff. This force you to think critically 'what's important and what isn't' and to reread everything you have written.
Scribble on your notes, cross stuff out, don't keep it an artwork to be admired (print them out if you're afraid to 'ruin' them)
Try not to do them digitally, except for lengthy paragraphs etc
I'm a science student, but this works for me. Hope it helps you too. I have a friend who got A* History by memorising all the books and sample essays, but most of us ain't doing that I think.
Also, (maybe unpopular opinion) EPQ is a bit useless, don't waste too much time on it. I guess it just a nice one line to have on your PS? You can drop it after getting your offers though.

Thanks for the tips, really appreciated😊 But I’m going to apply for Oxford and from what I’ve been told they like you to have shown interest outside of the curriculum in your subject, which I’m doing with wider reading and epq. I’m also going to have to keep it because they cancelled my work experience and idk when I’ll get it back so I need everything I can get right now 😕
Original post by thatcollegegirl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCDctD84wDU I take History, Politics and Law and will be making a video on revision techniques soon.

Thanks 😊
Thanks for the tips, really appreciated😊 But I’m going to apply for Oxford and from what I’ve been told they like you to have shown interest outside of the curriculum in your subject, which I’m doing with wider reading and epq. I’m also going to have to keep it because they cancelled my work experience and idk when I’ll get it back so I need everything I can get right now 😕

I'm an Oxford student so you have that from me :smile:. It's my unpopular opinion, and I do different subject from you so take it with a grain of salt.
I think read as much as you can is the best advice I can give. The more books the better, and try to read about a lot of things, but keep a summary and a 'theme'. For me is kinda like 'I read A, fascinated about B so I find book C about B, I found that D is interesting, so I research about it, and do it as EPQ'
It's unfortunate that we cannot do much about this whole situation, but it has its perks. Write a detailed essay discuss different country policies, economics and government reaction, compare with history (spanish flu, h1n1) and ask teachers for comment. A line saying 'I wrote a 3000 word essay about...' is a great thing to have (can do it as epq, but then you have to do it formally and all that).
If you're bilingual, translate some youtube videos of politicians talking about current issues/ ted talks etc is a great one to add to volunteering column. Or host a covid help group in your college (online) to keep people calm and entertained.
Original post by Arctic Kitten
I'm an Oxford student so you have that from me :smile:. It's my unpopular opinion, and I do different subject from you so take it with a grain of salt.
I think read as much as you can is the best advice I can give. The more books the better, and try to read about a lot of things, but keep a summary and a 'theme'. For me is kinda like 'I read A, fascinated about B so I find book C about B, I found that D is interesting, so I research about it, and do it as EPQ'
It's unfortunate that we cannot do much about this whole situation, but it has its perks. Write a detailed essay discuss different country policies, economics and government reaction, compare with history (spanish flu, h1n1) and ask teachers for comment. A line saying 'I wrote a 3000 word essay about...' is a great thing to have (can do it as epq, but then you have to do it formally and all that).
If you're bilingual, translate some youtube videos of politicians talking about current issues/ ted talks etc is a great one to add to volunteering column. Or host a covid help group in your college (online) to keep people calm and entertained.

Thanks, I don’t think I’m capable of doing half of that though😂 One thing I am doing seen as how I’ve got the time now is entering essay competitions with Law as my subject because I can say it shows I’ve been researching things beyond my curriculum
Thanks I’ll have a look!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending