Movies to rewatch in the best quality possible

Watch
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I’ll be spending more time at home watching movies in the coming weeks. I recently upgraded to a 4K 55 inch TV (before the problems with COVID 19 started) and I want to get the most out of it. So I plan to rewatch some big blockbuster movie franchises in 4K resolution. The ones currently on my list are:

Marvel Cinematic Universe (not all of them)
Star Wars (11 films)
Mission Impossible (6 films)
Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy
Inception and Interstellar
Joker
Venom

Any other suggestions? Which movies would you watch if you were in my position?

Which movie delays are you most annoyed about due to the COVID 19 disruption? I’m sad that we won’t get to see No Time To Die, F&F9, A Quiet Place 2 and Black Widow arrive on time this year.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Congrats on the 4K 55inch.

I'd watch:
Dracula,
Rosemary's Baby,
From Hell,
Harry Potter 1-4,
Psycho,
The Omen,
The Silence Of The Lambs,
The Wicker Man,
Rebecca (both versions)
Pride and Prejudice (the 1995 tv series)
Sleeping With The Enemy,
Titanic,
Disney's animated versions of: Aladdin, Beauty & the Beast and Little Mermaid.
DoritoEvie
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The Lord of the Rings :grin: (get the extended edition tho)
angelike1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Are you planning to buy all of those?
asif007
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Congrats on the 4K 55inch.

I'd watch:
Dracula,
Rosemary's Baby,
From Hell,
Harry Potter 1-4,
Psycho,
The Omen,
The Silence Of The Lambs,
The Wicker Man,
Rebecca (both versions)
Pride and Prejudice (the 1995 tv series)
Sleeping With The Enemy,
Titanic,
Disney's animated versions of: Aladdin, Beauty & the Beast and Little Mermaid.
Haha cheers.

Ooh I like some of your choices. Silence of the Lambs definitely, From Hell is a fantastic film too. I’m assuming you mean the older versions of Psycho, The Omen and The Wicker Man, not their remakes?

(Original post by DoritoEvie)
The Lord of the Rings :grin: (get the extended edition tho)
Oh yeah, forgot about LOTR. Cheers for the heads up!

(Original post by angelike1)
Are you planning to buy all of those?
No, I have other sources.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by asif007)
I’ll be spending more time at home watching movies in the coming weeks. I recently upgraded to a 4K 55 inch TV (before the problems with COVID 19 started) and I want to get the most out of it. So I plan to rewatch some big blockbuster movie franchises in 4K resolution. The ones currently on my list are:

Star Wars (11 films)
Joker
Venom

Which movie delays are you most annoyed about due to the COVID 19 disruption? I’m sad that we won’t get to see No Time To Die, F&F9, A Quiet Place 2 and Black Widow arrive on time this year.
the Star Wars prequels are crap. i'd stick with the original triology tbh.

If you want some older films:

War
Saving Private Ryan
Full Metal Jacket
Empire of The Sun

Crime
Trainspotting
A Clockwork Orange
The Fugitive

Action
Enter The Dragon
Inglorious Basterds
Titanic (dc, it's great)

Comedy
Bean
Team America
Hot Fuzz

Coming-of-age
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Grease
American Pie
Mucush22
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Star Wars (11 films)
Joker
Venom

I think you'd enjoy Leon the Professional
Mucush22
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)

War
Saving Private Ryan
Full Metal Jacket
Empire of The Sun

Crime
Trainspotting
A Clockwork Orange
The Fugitive

Action
Enter The Dragon
Inglorious Basterds
Titanic (dc, it's great)

Comedy
Bean
Team America
Hot Fuzz

Coming-of-age
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Grease
American Pie
Id say to add to the coming-of-age : Moonlight, Ladybird, Call Me by Your Name and Perks of being a Wallflower as well.
If anyone would want to watch Call Me by Your Name heres a free link to it https://engvideo.pro/en/films/call-m...our-name-2017/
Coolfred
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Back to The Future (all three parts) are awesome
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mucush22)
Id say to add to the coming-of-age : Moonlight, Ladybird, Call Me by Your Name and Perks of being a Wallflower as well.
If anyone would want to watch Call Me by Your Name heres a free link to it https://engvideo.pro/en/films/call-m...our-name-2017/
i've heard amazing things about Call Me by Your Name but i imagine it's quite an acquired taste, as many people wouldn't enjoy the subject matter of a gay (almost paedophilic?!) love story lol
octo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not a movie, but over the next few months I'm going to rewatch all of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Over the Garden Wall. Both are absolutely beautifully animated and have some of the best writing I've ever seen. I definitely recommend both -- FMAB is a long haul with 64 episodes of about 30 mins each, while Over the Garden Wall is doable in just over an hour.
asif007
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)

War
Saving Private Ryan
Full Metal Jacket
Empire of The Sun

Crime
Trainspotting
A Clockwork Orange
The Fugitive

Action
Enter The Dragon
Inglorious Basterds
Titanic (dc, it's great)

Comedy
Bean
Team America
Hot Fuzz

Coming-of-age
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Grease
American Pie
Plan is to start with the original trilogy and then the prequels although I may skip Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Revenge of the Sith is my favourite of the prequels.

Ooh some of these are definite additions to my list. Saving Private Ryan, Trainspotting, Team America, Inglorious Basterds, Ferris Bueller: yes. Bean and American Pie I’ll just stick with standard quality.

Forgot to mention, I’m restricted only to the movies I can get hold of. I might not be able to get access to all of these, it just depends what’s available. Thanks for all the suggestions!

(Original post by Mucush22)
I think you'd enjoy Leon the Professional
Yeah that would be a decent watch in 4K if I can get hold of it!

(Original post by Coolfred)
Back to The Future (all three parts) are awesome
Confession: I’ve never seen any of Back To The Future. Seems like a good idea to start with films I haven’t seen before, then go on to the repeat viewings of everything above.
asif007
Rep:
?
(Original post by octo)
Not a movie, but over the next few months I'm going to rewatch all of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Over the Garden Wall. Both are absolutely beautifully animated and have some of the best writing I've ever seen. I definitely recommend both -- FMAB is a long haul with 64 episodes of about 30 mins each, while Over the Garden Wall is doable in just over an hour.
Never heard of these but thanks for mentioning!

TV shows wise I’m heading for The Mandalorian in 4K. A bit different to your suggestions but right up my street. Stupidly I watched it in 720p on a smaller TV before I got my new one, and then I found it in 4K, lol. But it’s that good that it’s definitely worth a re-watch. Only 8 episodes around 40-50 minutes each.
University of Winchester
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not everyones cup of tea, but both Bladerunner 4K Blu Rays look amazing
asif007
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Winchester)
Not everyones cup of tea, but both Bladerunner 4K Blu Rays look amazing
Thanks, I’m adding those to the list.
asif007
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Since I started this thread I’ve thought about buying a sound bar to upgrade my home cinema system a little bit, haha. The ultimate ambition one day is to first have a property of my own and then use some of the space to turn into a proper home cinema with the biggest screen size, best picture quality and most immersive sound I can get hold of, price dependent.

I did experiment with a home projector a few years back. Where I used to live in North London, I had a big white wall which was perfect for watching movies on. I got hold of a 720p projector for around £50 (the cheapest I could find for a good quality item 3 years ago) and used it to watch movies on my wall, somewhere between 100 and 150 inches screen size. It was amazing and I loved it! I remember watching Suicide Squad, Mad Max Fury Road, Jack Reacher Never Go Back and a couple of TV shows. However, I only had the chance to use it for about 2 weeks before I moved out of that house and had to pack it away into storage. I still have it and just waiting until I can find a suitable place to use it again. Where I live now (in a different part of London), I don’t have the same style of wall nor the space, lol. Here’s hoping one day in the future I’ll be able to create my very own cutting-edge home cinema! Perfect for entertaining lady friends, guests or just enjoying the solo movie-going experience in the comfort of your own home.
Last edited by asif007; 1 week ago
Capitalist_Lamb
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Star Wars (11 films)
Joker
Venom

I hope you don't intend to stream this as I heard rumors that streaming sites will be decreasing the quality of their films due to high demand and even that they might decrease bandwidth in some homes. Don't take this as fact as I'm not sure if it's in the UK or completely true, just what I heard somewhere.
asif007
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Capitalist_Lamb)
I hope you don't intend to stream this as I heard rumors that streaming sites will be decreasing the quality of their films due to high demand and even that they might decrease bandwidth in some homes. Don't take this as fact as I'm not sure if it's in the UK or completely true, just what I heard somewhere.
No, I’ll be using 4K UHD Blu-ray discs and/or other methods. I haven’t got a Netflix account anyway cos you have to pay extra to stream in 4K and I CBA with that, lol. Regardless, my internet isn’t always fast enough to stream in 4K.

I’ve heard the same about streaming platforms reducing the quality of programming but only due to higher demand right now while everyone is in self isolation. Hopefully when things pass they will put the bandwidth back to normal.
Last edited by asif007; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (272)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (274)
15.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
9.92%
Isolating with family (123)
7.01%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.5%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (147)
8.38%
Loneliness (174)
9.92%
Financial worries (70)
3.99%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (160)
9.12%
Exposure to negative news/social media (125)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (156)
8.89%

Watched Threads