Coronavirus: Is your graduation cancelled / postponed ?

Watch
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Volunteer Note: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.

So it looks like all that usual hat and gown malarkey won't be happening for some this year, on account of the coronavirus pandemic.

Is this impacting you?

Some universities have announced indefinite postponement of their graduation ceremonies, whilst other institutions have completely cancelled theirs. Meanwhile others have yet to make any announcements.

What has your university told you? :holmes:

Today I've been told that my university will be delaying graduation, and not said when until.

ROC10
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Uni of Edinburgh have confirmed summer graduations are cancelled and that students will have the "option" of attending a rescheduled ceremony in Winter 2020 or Summer 2021 (if those run), attending a "virtual" ceremony or simply receiving their degree with no ceremony. As of yet, there has been no guidance as to whether we really will have an "option" or whether that will be decided for us.
04MR17
Rep:
?
(Original post by ROC10)
Uni of Edinburgh have confirmed summer graduations are cancelled and that students will have the "option" of attending a rescheduled ceremony in Winter 2020 or Summer 2021 (if those run), attending a "virtual" ceremony or simply receiving their degree with no ceremony. As of yet, there has been no guidance as to whether we really will have an "option" or whether that will be decided for us.
Do you think it's worth speaking to your SU to try and get some student consultation in there?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Name:  FB_IMG_1584758304752-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 114
Size:  38.8 KB
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yep :/
Anonymous #1
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by ROC10)
What the hell is a "virtual" ceremony?
ROC10
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What the hell is a "virtual" ceremony?
I honestly doubt anyone knows...
ta97
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
No news yet from Aston uni regarding grad ceremonies
Anonymous #2
Report 9 months ago
Okay I don't get strikes. Can someone explain? A bit selfish, no?

Like students are PAYING for education and all the lecturers just abandon you. wtf is this?
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Volunteer Note: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.

So it looks like all that usual hat and gown malarkey won't be happening for some this year, on account of the coronavirus pandemic.

Is this impacting you?

Some universities have announced indefinite postponement of their graduation ceremonies, whilst other institutions have completely cancelled theirs. Meanwhile others have yet to make any announcements.

What has your university told you? :holmes:

Today I've been told that my university will be delaying graduation, and not said when until.

Don't know yet, but son's graduation on 31st July and I can imagine it will be postponed. I hope not cancelled though, he has worked hard for his degree.
sarskinz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Spring graduation has been cancelled. But summer graduation is still scheduled to carry on with my uni.
04MR17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Okay I don't get strikes. Can someone explain? A bit selfish, no?

Like students are PAYING for education and all the lecturers just abandon you. wtf is this?
Students are paying the university. Members of the UCU went on strike last month over pensions and pay conditions, that strike has now finished. Universities are now going to be delivering teaching online due to a global pandemic called the corona virus and as a result some of those institutions are now cancelling or postponing their graduation ceremonies.
MR1999
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Queen Mary graduation postponed
Last edited by MR1999; 9 months ago
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
I hope not cancelled though, he has worked hard for his degree.
I feel the same way i really wanted the ceremony, the email said cancelled not postponed but i hope they manage to fit us in somewhere
Anonymous #3
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by MR1999)
Queen Mary graduation cancelled
For real? Full out cancelled? I thought they might postpone it. When did you hear about this?
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Loughborough University at the moment has not provided a clear-cut answer regarding this, but they have effectively said that graduation ceremonies are due to go ahead but the dates may change.

Who knows though, with the things so rapidly changing nowadays I would not be surprised if they cancel it altogether as the situation develops.

Extract about this from their recent emails to all undergraduates is below.

I was looking forward to this, so hopefully it is still a possibility. Although part of me wouldn't be too distraught if it is altogether cancelled since I am coming back to this uni for my PhD in October anyway, but the element of celebrating four years of work with my friends and family is something that would be great to have (especially after all this mess!)

Finalists - Please be reassured that we will be able to award degrees this summer. We will also ensure that nothing we do disadvantages a student in respect of their degree outcome.

Similarly, we will ensure that every student has the opportunity to attend a graduation ceremony. We are keeping the ceremony dates under close review and will let you know as early as possible of any changes to the dates.
username2447915
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Exeter has postponed theirs but not actual confirmation of what's going to happen
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Graduation is held in October at Suffolk. It's still some time away so nothing has been said about it being delayed or cancelled.
DoritoEvie
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
No idea. NTU hasn't said anything about graduation, except that dates will probably change.
Anonymous #4
Report 9 months ago
This is the year people I went to school with were supposed to be graduating. I'm two years behind and it's something I kind of worried about (i.e. graduating later than everyone else), but I guess what's happening now is one good consequence of me not graduating this year. Strange how things can change.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.71%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.29%

Watched Threads