232CEC
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Is there any realistic hope of Cambridge for me anymore? Is it no longer a realistic aim?

To outline my situation, basically I finished year 11 2 years ago with mostly 6s at GCSE at an overall pretty poorly performing state school. (Consequence of being lazy and doing minimal revision mainly)

From year 12 onwards I became far more committed to school and setting myself ambitious goals although my original “predicted” grades were only ABB. I ended up doing loads of revision and in the most recent mocks, in Year 13, sat in January I received A*AC with the latter being the subject I’ve not properly started my revision for yet. Was also 2 marks from turning the A into an A*.

My aim for A level was to get A*A*A and hopefully take a year out and apply to Cambridge to study history or political sciences. I hadn’t applied for this UCAS cycle as my predicted grades last year didn’t meet the entry requirements and also my GCSEs were far from Cambridge standard however as far as I’m aware GCSEs become of less importance once you’ve received confirmed A level grades? I was hoping to apply then. Was hoping to surprise my teachers and parents on results day after months of working 24/7.

However my first concern is that my teachers may award me lower grades than I’m hoping for. I’ve not told them my ambitions of A*A*A+ and so I feel as though it could range between AAB-A*AA. Although that’s fairly high it’s not exactly what I’d be hoping for and so it’d feel quite unjustified for me and as far as I’ve heard wouldn’t be the most competitive for applying to Cambridge if it meets the minimum entry requirements at all. Is there any way the government could possibly announce optional exams in sep/nov?

Secondly, since there’s probably going to be a huge increase in students being awarded As and A*s compared to usual will the grades themselves be watered down? As in will competition increase dramatically as the high grades become far more common? How may admissions distinguish between applicants?

Also, considering my low GCSEs and the fact that my grades are only awarded by prediction, are admissions likely not to trust my A level grades? More specifically, view them as a fluke or as potentially unjustified due to the fact that I won’t sit the exam? I feel as though both metrics (GCSE and A level) could let my chances down.

Any advice or clarity on my options is massively appreciated, thanks.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
There will be an optional exam you can take in september if you dont feel like the grades you'll get will be justified enough. I'm not too sure on the rest tho

"We recognise that some students may nevertheless feel disappointed that they haven’t been able to sit their exams. If they do not believe the correct process has been followed in their case they will be able to appeal on that basis. In addition, if they do not feel their calculated grade reflects their performance, they will have the opportunity to sit an exam at the earliest reasonable opportunity, once schools are open again. Students will also have the option to sit their exams in summer 2021."
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
This is how they will probably distinguish students

" Key points are not to make any rushed decisions as there is plenty of support. Remember that uni admissions teams and universities do already know a lot about you from your PS, reference, previous grades and prior attainment. UCAS are currently looking at some sort of alternative assessment alongside OFQUAL and the government. They have planned for scenarios to 'flex the system' for students this may not work for. The have stressed to please ensure your email address is up to date on your UCAS account."
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (157)
14.54%
I'm not sure (46)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (320)
29.63%
I have already dropped out (30)
2.78%
I'm not a current university student (527)
48.8%

Watched Threads