The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

MSc Applied Economics University of Bath.

I’m LSE BSc graduate and signed up for above course (online) at University of Bath as I work full time and have a family to take care. Below is my honest feedback after just taking my first unit and signed up for second unit.

I have decided not to continue with them as it has been clear they do not respect students hard work.They want students to pay for units and submit assignments on time which we have done but results for previous unit are pending and have been overdue significantly. Reason given after asking why there is a delay, the course Director advises it is due to Covid-19 situation. Why are they not proactively communicating this in advance?

When I asked why are they asking students to submit further assignments instead of extending time allocated to the course which will give enough time to academic staff to fulfil their commitments, they refused to reply. We, students, are struggling with work, family and studies during this tough time and yet we have submitted assignments on time. But I think the university thinks only their staff is affected by the virus and not students.

Basically, I believe University of Bath is just interested in financial benefits and as balance of power lies in their hands, they don’t priority students. Therefore, I have decided to treat my effort so far as “Sunk Cost” and not waste time with them as I’m not prepared to be pushed around for next 3 years (duration of the course).

I hope this honest feedback helps!
Thanks,
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Dear Pbh, Please be assured that the quality of our taught programmes (be they on campus or online), along with the student experience, is of prime importance to us here at the University of Bath.I’d like to take this opportunity to respond to you on this forum but thank you for also bringing your concerns to my attention directly last week by email. I would like to highlight that I immediately replied to your email of 21 March (which I think was after your post on this platform) and then on 25 March I sent you a comprehensive response after completing an investigation of your concerns. I explained in my reply to your email that your first unit of study had unfortunately been affected by strike action. The University and College Union (UCU) took strike action nationally which impacted many Universities across the UK, including us here at Bath. This action led to a delay in the moderation process and release of marks of one of the unit's assessments. While the University had informed you and all other students of the upcoming strike action and its potential impact on your programme, we should have also communicated a specific and individual notification of the delay in the release of marks for this assignment, and in my email to you I apologised that this did not happen.The teaching team have worked hard to ensure that the subsequent release of marks for the final assessment task on the unit was back on time again, despite the end of the strike period coinciding with the start of our Coronavirus preparations and the wholesale move of the entire University’s on-campus teaching to online delivery from 17 March 2020. The University is continuing to do everything in its power to mitigate the impact of Coronavirus on the learning experience of our students.​I would like to reassure you again that we will respond quickly and decisively whenever student concerns come to our attention, because high-quality teaching and outstanding student satisfaction are of vital importance to us and always have been.Dr Peter PostlHead of DepartmentDepartment of EconomicsThe University of Bath
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by ppostl
Dear Pbh, Please be assured that the quality of our taught programmes (be they on campus or online), along with the student experience, is of prime importance to us here at the University of Bath.I’d like to take this opportunity to respond to you on this forum but thank you for also bringing your concerns to my attention directly last week by email. I would like to highlight that I immediately replied to your email of 21 March (which I think was after your post on this platform) and then on 25 March I sent you a comprehensive response after completing an investigation of your concerns. I explained in my reply to your email that your first unit of study had unfortunately been affected by strike action. The University and College Union (UCU) took strike action nationally which impacted many Universities across the UK, including us here at Bath. This action led to a delay in the moderation process and release of marks of one of the unit's assessments. While the University had informed you and all other students of the upcoming strike action and its potential impact on your programme, we should have also communicated a specific and individual notification of the delay in the release of marks for this assignment, and in my email to you I apologised that this did not happen.The teaching team have worked hard to ensure that the subsequent release of marks for the final assessment task on the unit was back on time again, despite the end of the strike period coinciding with the start of our Coronavirus preparations and the wholesale move of the entire University’s on-campus teaching to online delivery from 17 March 2020. The University is continuing to do everything in its power to mitigate the impact of Coronavirus on the learning experience of our students.I would like to reassure you again that we will respond quickly and decisively whenever student concerns come to our attention, because high-quality teaching and outstanding student satisfaction are of vital importance to us and always have been.Dr Peter PostlHead of DepartmentDepartment of EconomicsThe University of Bath

Hi Dr Peter,

What about the reply the teacher gave on Covid-19 causing delays. Once I was not satisfied with her response and she didn’t reply to my follow on email, I decided to post this and then email you. She didn’t even mention Union strike.

Anyways, it was nice to be associated with University of Bath for a short time.

Kind Regards,
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Pbh
Hi Dr Peter,

What about the reply the teacher gave on Covid-19 causing delays. Once I was not satisfied with her response and she didn’t reply to my follow on email, I decided to post this and then email you. She didn’t even mention Union strike.

Anyways, it was nice to be associated with University of Bath for a short time.

Kind Regards,

Dear Pbh, thank you, I've sent you an email with some further guidance that you can follow regarding your feedback/concerns.
Reply 4
Original post by Pbh
I’m LSE BSc graduate and signed up for above course (online) at University of Bath as I work full time and have a family to take care. Below is my honest feedback after just taking my first unit and signed up for second unit.

I have decided not to continue with them as it has been clear they do not respect students hard work.They want students to pay for units and submit assignments on time which we have done but results for previous unit are pending and have been overdue significantly. Reason given after asking why there is a delay, the course Director advises it is due to Covid-19 situation. Why are they not proactively communicating this in advance?

When I asked why are they asking students to submit further assignments instead of extending time allocated to the course which will give enough time to academic staff to fulfil their commitments, they refused to reply. We, students, are struggling with work, family and studies during this tough time and yet we have submitted assignments on time. But I think the university thinks only their staff is affected by the virus and not students.

Basically, I believe University of Bath is just interested in financial benefits and as balance of power lies in their hands, they don’t priority students. Therefore, I have decided to treat my effort so far as “Sunk Cost” and not waste time with them as I’m not prepared to be pushed around for next 3 years (duration of the course).

I hope this honest feedback helps!
Thanks,

Hi. I'm interested in finding out more about this course.

I saw online that the workload is approximately 12-15 hours per week. Would you agree?

Also how did you find the level of the first unit compared to that of your undergrad degree? Easy, moderate, difficult etc?
I am in the process for applying fot this course. Does any one have feedback? what the thought of the course and how demanding they found it?

Many thanks
C

Latest