Anonymous17!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi all,

I’m currently a year 13 student who has plans to reapply to medical school this year for 2021 entry. The Department for Education has said that year 11’s and year 13’s this year will be awarded predicted grades which will act as their GCSE and A-Level qualifications. However, I wonder if this system will count for those applying for 2021 entry? This is because year 13’s who want to apply for 2021 entry have the opportunity to take exams next year in summer, so do you think universities will expect them to take still exams next year or do you think they will accept predicted grades as actual qualifications? I’m particularly concerned about medical, dentistry and nursing courses as they are notoriously difficult courses to get accepted on to and i’m not convinced that med schools will accept the grades given under this new system as finite, especially when there is an opportunity for applicants for 2021 entry to take exams next year.

Any thoughts would be helpful as I don’t think enough clarify has been given by the dfe regarding year 13’s who are applying for entry next year.

Thanks,
A very concerned year 13
rummm
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous17!)
Hi all,

I’m currently a year 13 student who has plans to reapply to medical school this year for 2021 entry. The Department for Education has said that year 11’s and year 13’s this year will be awarded predicted grades which will act as their GCSE and A-Level qualifications. However, I wonder if this system will count for those applying for 2021 entry? This is because year 13’s who want to apply for 2021 entry have the opportunity to take exams next year in summer, so do you think universities will expect them to take still exams next year or do you think they will accept predicted grades as actual qualifications? I’m particularly concerned about medical, dentistry and nursing courses as they are notoriously difficult courses to get accepted on to and i’m not convinced that med schools will accept the grades given under this new system as finite, especially when there is an opportunity for applicants for 2021 entry to take exams next year.

Any thoughts would be helpful as I don’t think enough clarify has been given by the dfe regarding year 13’s who are applying for entry next year.

Thanks,
A very concerned year 13
Because medicine is a really hard course to get into, the likelihood is they’ll take into consideration your results from your MCAT, but may then also require you to sit an entry exam to prove that you qualify as they will know your predicted grades don’t necessarily prove what you’re capable of, and now the grade is determined by teachers opinions and assessments
Hammad Dogar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous17!)
Hi all,

Thanks,
A very concerned year 13
To my understanding, the grades awarded this year will have the same exact value as any other year and so if you use them to apply next year (or any year) these would not be considered differently.

Furthermore, none of the boards is just awarding predicted grades. The grades awarded will be based on some kind of evidence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads