The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hey y13 here, great idea for a thread. i think the patient might be suffering from ketoacidosis bc of the acidic blood ph and ketones in their urine (which would also explain why ph is so low even when co2 and hco3 levels are low). i remember that ketoacidosis is mostly due to diabetes but blood glucose is probably too low and i read that alcohol use causes elevated breathing rate which would also account for increased o2/ decreased co2 so i think the patient is suffering from alcoholic ketoacidosis.
Original post by Matthew Qurku
hey y13 here, great idea for a thread. i think the patient might be suffering from ketoacidosis bc of the acidic blood ph and ketones in their urine (which would also explain why ph is so low even when co2 and hco3 levels are low). i remember that ketoacidosis is mostly due to diabetes but blood glucose is probably too low and i read that alcohol use causes elevated breathing rate which would also account for increased o2/ decreased co2 so i think the patient is suffering from alcoholic ketoacidosis.

That may be spot on because it explains the low blood glucose levels
Original post by HumblyBumbly
^^^ just for you @ecolier :wink:

Since you are all off ... thought if any of you are keen to read some medicine before you start your degrees I could put a random clinical case on here each day and we could discuss. Helps me learn stuff too (I am a medic FYI). Any keen beans?

I am a keen bean!
Original post by TriAi
I've looked up what an ABG is and it says that it's a blood test to measure the acidity/pH/oxygen and carbon dioxide levels in the blood from an artery.
It's a way to see how well the lungs are working. Looking at the normal pH levels, this person's blood pH is too low but closer to neutral pH.. I think more co2 in the blood causes pH to be more acidic.
However, what's slightly confusing is that the O2 levels are too high (high partial pressure of oxygen) and co2 levels are too low (low partial pressure of carbon dioxide). So there's too much oxygen in the blood and not enough carbon dioxide.
I also think that the low HCo3 levels also contribute to the abnormal blood pH level as I believe HCo3- ions act as a ph buffer to prevent changes in pH. If there's not enough of these ions then pH can fluctuate, I think.
I'm really not sure about any of these suggestions as I've just looked at the data and tried to apply any knowledge I have from A level bio.

This is not a bad start at all. So you are absolutely right. PCO2 is low and so is oxygen i.e. this person is hyperventilating; blowing off a lot off gas. They are doing that because of the abnormal blood pH. To respond to the acidity of the blood (low pH) the body tries to respond by either increasing alkali (something like bicarbonate) or getting rid of acid. Carbon dioxide can be considered to be an acid physiologically because when it dissolves in water: this happens:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fteachmephysiology.com%2Frespiratory-system%2Ftransport-in-the-blood%2Ftransport-carbon-dioxide-blood%2F&psig=AOvVaw1qlGARxDrJA76Ehoq9kZJ5&ust=1584908353894000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCJDrqe2xrOgCFQAAAAAdAAAAABA7

Original post by harryoke22
Hi there, I am a reapplicant from Ireland. Thank you so much for having this thread. I was considering whether one of the values, the bicarbonate levels, in particular, could explain the other values. A reduction in bicarbonate explains why the ph is lower than normal and could explain the low concentration of carbon dioxide, as bicarbonate is exhaled from the lungs as CO2.
This is also accompanied by elevated ketones, therefore, I suspect a case of diabetic ketoacidosis (I just read about it) which is a complication of diabetes.

Original post by FlawlessChicken
It sounds like a great suggestion and tbh as a yr13 I'm not too sure on what it is exactly either. I don't think it can be something intrinsically wrong with the Hb just because the patient is quite old so if something like that was wrong surely he would've displayed symptoms earlier?

Isn't ketones in urine a sign of diabetes??? Though with the blood glucose level that low je suis stumped!

Maybe it's just that the patient is just suffering from some sort of hypoglycemia?

Sksksk I'd really want to find the answer myself but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to without a whole load of help!

Original post by forbearne
hey a year 12 here - fantastic idea for a thread! We've just covered haemoglobin dissociation curve at school (over an online lesson!) and was fortunate enough to see an ABG carried out on work experience. Looking at figures, CO2 concentration in blood is lower than expected + partial pressure of oxygen a bit higher. Dissociation into H+ and HCO3- is not happening at the rate it needs to - so CO2 is not associating with haemoglobin? Maybe something intrinsically wrong with hb?

So you guys have picked up on what is causing the blood pH to drop - the ketones. And are absolutely right that in diabetes you get raised ketones leading to something called diabetic ketoacidosis.

However @Matthew Qurku is absolutely correct. This is alcoholic ketoacidosis. Well done I will explain both DKA and alcoholic ketoacidosis in more detail in my next post!
Original post by Matthew Qurku

Wow - nice logic. Probably right as well. Does alcohol cause such a significant change in breathing rate though to change PO2 and PCO2?
First getting to grips with ketones:

you guys all know that glucose is a substrate generally used by your cells for generating energy (glycolysis and oxidative phosphorylation etc...). Say someone is starving. They generally don't have glucose and stores of glycogen to last them beyond say 12-24 hours. After that you need to use other substrates. Fats & amino acids are both options. So someone that is starving starts to switch to these. The details do not matter. Part of the aim is to use amino acids from your muscle to produce glucose (and you liver does this quite well). And the reason glucose is important is because your brain and red blood cells can NOT use much else. For example your red blood cells have no mitochondria and so need that glucose to keep them going.

But imagine you are starving for 7 days - your muscle protein can only last for so long, so your body needs to find another way to supply the brain and RBCs. And this is where ketones come in. Happy to answer more questions on this but essentially what happens is your body breaks down your fats into bodies called ketones (which are actually a ketone with a carboxylic acid, although acetone is one ketone body and is the one which makes these patients breath slightly fruity).

And the reason it produces ketones is because ketones are effectively a fast food energy supply - it gives the brain and RBCs a ready access to something it can use for ATP.

Again I can explain this in more depth and more detail with sources, but I am just typing up a rough overview of the basics to give you some context.
So now diabetic ketoacidosis:

this happens in people with type 1 diabetes typically. They do not have insulin so the body thinks glucose is very low, as if in starvation. So they do essentially the same as above (starvation mode). This is a very basic way of looking at it. Now you start building up ketones in your blood. And these bad boys make your blood more and more acidic (as in this case). Because your blood is acidic your body tries to respond by getting rid of carbon dioxide (because carbon dioxide increases H+ as we see here:

https://teachmephysiology.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/co2-transport-1024x505.jpg

and therefore lowers pH. These patients will be hyperventilating hence the low CO2 and low oxygen. We all know homeostasis is there to maintain physiological parameters within a narrow limit.

Now alcoholic ketoacidisos: this is slightly more complicated and actually involves more complex biochemistry. BUT ... essentially alcohol can be converted to ketones. Why is the glucose low? Often alcoholics will not eat regularly and may vomit food that they do eat, leading to episodes of starvation

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 20.43.21.png
@HumblyBumbly so aren't HCO3 and pCO2 levels similar? I'm guessing the HCO3 is the CO2 being dissolved in the plasma at which point it makes me ask the question on why both including both numbers?
Original post by FlawlessChicken
@HumblyBumbly so aren't HCO3 and pCO2 levels similar? I'm guessing the HCO3 is the CO2 being dissolved in the plasma at which point it makes me ask the question on why both including both numbers?

so generally both numbers are investigated in an ABG because they represent different parts of acid-base homeostasis.

CO2 levels are 'controlled' by the lung in a sense - you can get rid of CO2 by breathing it out. The faster you breath out the faster you get rid of it (this is called respiratory compensation)

HCO3 is more an indicator of kidney function. HCO3 is release in your pee mainly, and also produced to some extent in your kidney. So your kidney can respond to a low pH by producing HCO3 to balance the H+ (this is called metabolic compensation)

SO ... they aren't the same because ... even though CO2 dissolving produces HCO3 - that isn't the only thing controlling HCO3 levels
So now diabetic ketoacidosis:

this happens in people with type 1 diabetes typically. They do not have insulin so the body thinks glucose is very low, as if in starvation. So they do essentially the same as above (starvation mode). This is a very basic way of looking at it. Now you start building up ketones in your blood. And these bad boys make your blood more and more acidic (as in this case). Because your blood is acidic your body tries to respond by getting rid of carbon dioxide (because carbon dioxide increases H+ as we see here:

https://teachmephysiology.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/co2-transport-1024x505.jpg

and therefore lowers pH. These patients will be hyperventilating hence the low CO2 and low oxygen. We all know homeostasis is there to maintain physiological parameters within a narrow limit.

Now alcoholic ketoacidisos: this is slightly more complicated and actually involves more complex biochemistry. BUT ... essentially alcohol can be converted to ketones. Why is the glucose low? Often alcoholics will not eat regularly and may vomit food that they do eat, leading to episodes of starvation

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 20.43.21.png

ah so you don't always need potassium dichromate for ketones :biggrin:
Original post by forbearne
ah so you don't always need potassium dichromate for ketones :biggrin:

haha this actually made me laugh. Look up what ketone bodies in biology look like: the main ones are D-hydroxybutyrate, acetone and acetoacetate
However @Matthew Qurku is absolutely correct. This is alcoholic ketoacidosis. Well done I will explain both DKA and alcoholic ketoacidosis in more detail in my next post!

You've picked a very interesting case!

My question for you is, from the information given, why is this not euglycemic DKA.
Original post by nexttime
You've picked a very interesting case!

My question for you is, from the information given, why is this not euglycemic DKA.

now this is an interesting idea and I hadn't thought about it. A few reasons in my opinion as to why this is not as probable (although complicated for A-level students!). a) Euglycemic diabetic ketoacidosis is rare. b) nothing in the history suggests SGLT2 inhibitors which is one factor which might increase risk. Nor is diabetes even mentioned. c) the glucose in this case is actually low d) the cases of euglycaemic DKA I have heard of have very low bicarbonate (<10mmol/L).

Do you not think the distinction is as clear cut? I don't know that much about euglycaemic DKA so teach me!
now this is an interesting idea and I hadn't thought about it. A few reasons in my opinion as to why this is not as probable (although complicated for A-level students!). a) Euglycemic diabetic ketoacidosis is rare. b) nothing in the history suggests SGLT2 inhibitors which is one factor which might increase risk. Nor is diabetes even mentioned. c) the glucose in this case is actually low d) the cases of euglycaemic DKA I have heard of have very low bicarbonate (<10mmol/L).

Do you not think the distinction is as clear cut? I don't know that much about euglycaemic DKA so teach me!

It is complicated, but it is suggested by them above so if you're gonna say they were wrong better say why :wink: I'd just say 'you take a bit more history and she drinks 2.5 litres vodka per day' personally, no arguing with that :wink:

From what you have said though, I am not aware of a reason why it couldn't be. You also don't tell us how high ketones are - could easily be some mild starvation (especially with that glucose) plus any other metabolic cause of acidosis! Though we are getting into two-diagnosis territory here - very common irl , cruel in any question scenario!

Wrt the above: a) Alcoholic ketoacidosis is also rare b) Nothing in the history suggested alcohol! c) slightly low - I'm guessing it wouldn't be ruled out d) I've never actually seen one (you've seen multiple? wow), but I'm guessing that is not a rule :tongue:
Original post by nexttime
It is complicated, but it is suggested by them above so if you're gonna say they were wrong better say why :wink: I'd just say 'you take a bit more history and she drinks 2.5 litres vodka per day' personally, no arguing with that :wink:

From what you have said though, I am not aware of a reason why it couldn't be. You also don't tell us how high ketones are - could easily be some mild starvation (especially with that glucose) plus any other metabolic cause of acidosis! Though we are getting into two-diagnosis territory here - very common irl , cruel in any question scenario!

Wrt the above: a) Alcoholic ketoacidosis is also rare b) Nothing in the history suggested alcohol! c) slightly low - I'm guessing it wouldn't be ruled out d) I've never actually seen one (you've seen multiple? wow), but I'm guessing that is not a rule :tongue:

I have not actually seen any - I was saying cases I have heard of.

Either way I take your point the diagnosis is more complicated BUT !! I think the alcoholic ketoacidosis is more likely from what I said above :smile: but either way the exact diagnosis isn't that important in many ways. I kind of just wanted to show an ABG to them, because I think they are a cool use of their chemistry knowledge and applying it to physiological settings.
I have not actually seen any - I was saying cases I have heard of.

Either way I take your point the diagnosis is more complicated BUT !! I think the alcoholic ketoacidosis is more likely from what I said above :smile: but either way the exact diagnosis isn't that important in many ways. I kind of just wanted to show an ABG to them, because I think they are a cool use of their chemistry knowledge and applying it to physiological settings.

I agree with nexttime, there is really no reason why alcoholic ketoacidosis is more likely based on the details given.

I know you say nothing in the story suggests diabetes, but nothing in the story hints at alcohol use either - it most certainly would be mentioned in a med school or postgraduate exam so it seems a bit unfair not to give that detail in a question aimed at A Level students... Or you should accept the answer of euglycaemic DKA as correct as well, since several people did mention it :smile:
Original post by girl_in_black
I agree with nexttime, there is really no reason why alcoholic ketoacidosis is more likely based on the details given.

I know you say nothing in the story suggests diabetes, but nothing in the story hints at alcohol use either - it most certainly would be mentioned in a med school or postgraduate exam so it seems a bit unfair not to give that detail in a question aimed at A Level students... Or you should accept the answer of euglycaemic DKA as correct as well, since several people did mention it :smile:

But isn’t euglycaemia present with high glucose levels which isn’t the case here.
Great thread idea ! I feel a bit worried since I wasn't able to answer that first scenario . How would you suggest I improve? Do you think wider reading would be useful, if so do you know any good websites? Wow I feel so dumb reading all these posts .
Original post by girl_in_black

Euglycaemia means normal glucose.

The case here had low glucose. Would be a weird exam to diagnose someone with euglycaemic DKA if they have low glucose!

But yeah sure it is a possibility technically. I didn't really care about the actual answer - the aim wasn't that. It was just to talk through an ABG and to discuss what the numbers might mean.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 39

SGLT2 induced DKA would have been my diagnosis. Hence the lowered glucose - they are still taking their gliflozin! We warn all patients we start on these drugs about DKA

And I have seen a case of this and never seen alcoholic ketoacidosis (nor has hubby and anaesthetist here this evening) in many, many years of practice.

For the finer nuances of an actual diagnosis, more info was needed, eg alcohol, diabetes, meds, etc but the science behind it works for either.
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending