The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher French 2020-2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vladimir Poutine
Hi, I’m studying with a teacher - twice a week, online. We just got a suggested list of books that we could be supported on sent out to us and No et Moi (Delphine de Vigan) was the one that appealed to me the most.

It will be nice to have someone doing the same book as me! :smile:
Original post by SchuylerSister22
It will be nice to have someone doing the same book as me!

Cool! I’m yet to pick it up but it looks like quite a good story. I’ve got so much reading this year what with English (4 books), my personal statement and now French... :redface:
Reply 22
anyone prepped for the talking assignment? my teacher made me write paragraphs for a lot of different topics during lockdown, but I haven't started learning any of it yet. also i use google translate A LOT with hw, is this just me?
No, but each lesson we do work out of a textbook and have to record our answers so we can work on our pronunciations, also I use a lot of google translate too so all is good :lol:
Original post by jlc9
anyone prepped for the talking assignment? my teacher made me write paragraphs for a lot of different topics during lockdown, but I haven't started learning any of it yet. also i use google translate A LOT with hw, is this just me?

We’ve literally not started anything yet, we take about a billion years to finish a topic
I use google translate too, I think it’s fine as long as you are using it as a dictionary shortcut. I just use it to get a word I don’t know - not whole sentences since it’s unreliable and phrases can end up mangled some of the time
Reply 26
oh great, happy i’m not the only one using it lol XD
so guys, thoughts on not doing the portfolio anymore? Personally, I'm really irritated because we've devoted so much time since June to working on our book and we've done loads on it :s-smilie: But what can you do lol
Original post by pineapplepink
so guys, thoughts on not doing the portfolio anymore? Personally, I'm really irritated because we've devoted so much time since June to working on our book and we've done loads on it :s-smilie: But what can you do lol

Agreed I don’t see it as good news
Agreed I don’t see it as good news

what I want to know is who they consulted to get to that conclusion :facepalm:
If they were making any changes they should have done it well before this :mad:
what I want to know is who they consulted to get to that conclusion :facepalm:
If they were making any changes they should have done it well before this :mad:

Exactly, SQA always find a way to f it up though. I thought their position on AH courses was that its a lot of independent study anyway but apparently they don’t mind slashing away
Exactly, SQA always find a way to f it up though. I thought their position on AH courses was that its a lot of independent study anyway but apparently they don’t mind slashing away

apparently not :/
I don’t mind tbh because we only started our poems in August and hadn’t started working on the folio yet anyway

My teacher has spent weeks trying to hunt down the movie we needed for our portfolio and managed to find and buy a copy for 20 euros, but now her time, effort and money has been wasted. All a bit of a shitshow if you ask me :s-smilie:
Reply 34
yeah, I started working on it since lockdown so i'm pretty annoyed :/
Original post by thepunmaster.e
I don’t mind tbh because we only started our poems in August and hadn’t started working on the folio yet anyway

fair enough. I just think if they were going to something like this then they should have announced it much earlier because some schools are already going to have done work on it.
My teacher has spent weeks trying to hunt down the movie we needed for our portfolio and managed to find and buy a copy for 20 euros, but now her time, effort and money has been wasted. All a bit of a shitshow if you ask me :s-smilie:

definitely! That has got to be so irritating. Our teacher also spent ages trying to get the film adaption of out book to work and eventually did only for the folio to be removed :facepalm2: but c'est la vie:colondollar:
Hi, I am thinking about starting AH French after summer. (I got an A in Higher). I don't want to study languages at uni. I just want to continue studying French for fun. Is this a stupid idea? Because it sounds likes it is not easy. In addition, I plan on going into the medical field and I don't necessarily need a language to get in. Btw my other subject choices are AH Chemistry & Biology and H Admin. Thanks :smile:
Original post by itzleomoore
Hi, I am thinking about starting AH French after summer. (I got an A in Higher). I don't want to study languages at uni. I just want to continue studying French for fun. Is this a stupid idea? Because it sounds likes it is not easy. In addition, I plan on going into the medical field and I don't necessarily need a language to get in. Btw my other subject choices are AH Chemistry & Biology and H Admin. Thanks :smile:

Hey, personally I was awful at French this year. The jump from Higher to AH was terrible for me, and that was with half the course being taken out. I got 97% at Nat 5 and another A at Higher, however this year I got a C, barely. This low mark could be due to me just losing motivation having to do half the course from home and I had to pretty much teach the course to myself along with one other person because my teacher was busy with the highers. I don't want to put you off doing AH French if you really like the subject and this year you probably will, if theres not another lockdown, being able to do the work at school for the whole year so it should be easier for you. I would recommend taking it if youre good at the translation though as that was the part that dropped my mark so low
Hey, personally I was awful at French this year. The jump from Higher to AH was terrible for me, and that was with half the course being taken out. I got 97% at Nat 5 and another A at Higher, however this year I got a C, barely. This low mark could be due to me just losing motivation having to do half the course from home and I had to pretty much teach the course to myself along with one other person because my teacher was busy with the highers. I don't want to put you off doing AH French if you really like the subject and this year you probably will, if theres not another lockdown, being able to do the work at school for the whole year so it should be easier for you. I would recommend taking it if youre good at the translation though as that was the part that dropped my mark so low

I second this @itzleomoore. I was really good at Nat 5, pretty good at Higher and just mediocre at AH (imo even tho I’ve been predicted an A). There really is a massive jump, and the approach of most teachers seems to be very “do it yourself”. If you enjoy it though you should take it, and you might enjoy sections which were taken out for this year like the folio!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending