Has anyone ever had 80-90% and above in a uni assignment?

Watch
F.h.98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
If yes, how? What is your advice and what did you do?

Edit- I study biomedical science and I'm certain I have inattentive ADHD
Last edited by F.h.98; 2 weeks ago
Matt14451
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
100% in a finance exam in first year. Final exam was pretty similar to the 10 mocks we did to practice.

80% in a reflective portfolio in second year. Followed seminar tutors advice closely. Show drafts.
F.h.98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Matt14451)
100% in a finance exam in first year. Final exam was pretty similar to the 10 mocks we did to practice.

80% in a reflective portfolio in second year. Followed seminar tutors advice closely. Show drafts.
That's amazing, thanks
SatsumaConsumer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I averaged 80% in the final year of my history degree, with marks between 85% and 75%.

In terms of advice, I'd say a few things - firstly, there isn't that much added value to getting above 75, if that, at least on the humanities - in my opinion it's not worth actively chasing marks higher than that. (Or chasing marks at all) Your well-being should come first, and you'll get more out of taking part in societies, trying things out and making the most of your free time than you will working for a high first. I prefer to think in terms of 'how can I learn more and write better' rather than 'how can I get x mark'

The other main thing is that I really believe that different study techniques work for different people - just because other people spend 8+ hours a day in the library doesn't mean you should, and just because other people rush out essays last minute doesn't mean you should either. Try and find what works for you, and develop it. I also would recommend taking all the help from staff available to you, going to office hours and asking questions when you're stuck on things.

What I personally did? Used memory tricks like the loci method for exams, tried to plan my coursework ahead but didn't hesitate to seek extensions when I messed that up (I'm dyslexic and have ADHD). For each essay spent more time thinking about my argument than I did writing or reading - discussed every essay I worked on with friends and family to try and iron out what I actually thought about it. Always read stuff that wasn't on the reading list, even if I hadn't finished the core reading. Picked modules and essays that really interested me, even if they looked more difficult. Accepted that sometimes I needed to take a day, or a week, to look after my physical and mental health, and that there would be some seminars where I wasn't bringing my best - treated that as part of the pattern of my life. For revision, did 3-7 days of 3 hours a day of memorising factual info and historian quotes, and other than that just read around the subject and chatted about the topic. For writing up my diss, I did 2 one-hour slots a day of focused writing over easter - and then mistimed everything and had to pull an all nighter to finish editing.

If anyone has any questions specific to history at uni, or general coping with uni while dyslexic or with ADHD, message me and I'm happy to do my best to answer 😊 (I'm stuck inside rn with the whole situation and bored as heck haha) - I found uni great, and unlike A-levels, I really enjoyed the studying and didn't feel like my dyslexia etc held me back
Last edited by SatsumaConsumer; 2 weeks ago
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I got above 80% in quite a few examinations, though I only got above 80% in coursework (total coursework mark) twice lmao.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I got 84% in statistics module in MSc psych - I have no idea how given I failed it at undergrad....
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes. For coursework I paid close attention to the marking rubric. For exams I studied hard and attended all revision sessions. Nothing particularly special.

My degrees are in Filmmaking & Screenwriting and Biomedical Science.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Didn't dip below 80 in my 3rd year and only did in a non subject-specific assessment in my masters. Dissertations both above 85

Philosophy, was useful for PhD funding and I won a prize at graduation for being top of the year but other than that pretty meaningless

I learnt how to write a good argument and played to my strengths re module choice and assessment topics. No secret formula
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I got 90-something in an assignment in my first year but I can't remember what it was, something mega easy no doubt
Mihaly
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I echo the not worth chasing comments. I had to triple the work and time spent on the essay just to go from mid 70s quality to like 83.
Last edited by Mihaly; 2 weeks ago
bphorn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I got 80%+ marks in quantitative courses for my BSc. in Actuarial Science and MSc. in Financial Management where you tend to have assignments and exams that have objective, numerically correct answers to problems. Outside of those courses, I never received anything higher than 75% on my assignments and exams.

For example: my average marks for my MSc. in Financial Management were 77%, but my average marks for my MSc. in Strategic Planning were 64%. Both were from the same school during the same decade and I honestly don't feel like I had a worse understanding of strategy vs finance.

Maybe I'm just good at maths and underestimate the difficulty of quantitative courses, thus do better in them. Maybe I didn't study mock exams enough or pay enough attention at revision sessions and lacked the insight into fine details necessary for the qualitative courses, who knows. I always felt like I knew the answers on exams but it's much easier to show you know what you're doing when you have to compute tail-end value-at-risk (since whether you get the right answer is binary) vs when you need to give advice to a member of the BoD about a hypothetical merger in an exam prompt.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 weeks ago
In maths and sciences because there's no ambiguity any mark on the spectrum is possible. (if you get everything right - you get 100 and it's as simple as that) I've got 95 in an exam and 100 in a few assignments.

I believe in most places humanities subjects and social sciences are realistically marked out of 80, with 80+ given for phenomenal/research quality work.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 weeks ago
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Got 100% in an igneous petrology exam (40% of the module mark). I can’t explain how - it wasn’t any specific effort on my part. I just found the chemistry and formulae involved and the test structure very intuitive and logical. It was an hour long exam and I finished in 15 minutes. The average mark for the class was 58%.
And 92% for my contribution to a group poster project (field work collecting and mapping data, analysis and presenting results on a poster) in geomorphology (25% of the module mark). The posters were peer marked by the class and our poster came top and was marked at 90% (but because 2 of us did more of the analysis we got 92% and the other 2 group members got 88% - the other 2 insisted that we split the contributions this way). Our poster was the only one that fully and in detail addressed the topic question using the collected data - the rest of the class basically said that they hadn’t understood the topic properly until they saw our poster.

Fwiw I also got 25% in another module overall - I’ve never been good at putting in effort for topics or work I didn’t find interesting.
Milan1055
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I did, when I was in first year. Well, I'm currently in second year, so I might have some more in the close future. (Hopefully)
I got 82% in Maths for Computing (4 exams in a semester), and 81% for Introduction to Academic Studies (only coursework -a report, an essay and a presentation).
I didn't really het high marks for modules like programming and web design, but my average still came out as 73% for the 1st year. I wish it would be used to count towards our degree classification lol
-BSc Computing and Information Systems.

How did I do it? I just attended every single lecture and I was paying attention. I practised a lot, and I spent more time with my assignment.. That's it, there's no secret.
Btw there are some lecturers, where uploading your assignment is like gambling. He/She may like it, he/she may not. Depends on their mood while marking.
Last edited by Milan1055; 1 week ago
octo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
English and Creative Writing -- I got a 92 in an essay in second year and an 85 for an essay in first year. Not entirely sure how either of these essays were significantly better than any of the other things I've submitted, even after going over the mark scheme... but I'm not complaining haha
steamed-hams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
on my course if 80%+ was of publishable standard
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (335)
34.61%
No (633)
65.39%

Watched Threads