The Student Room Group

Rejected from St Andrews (EU student)

Hello
So yesterday I received a rejection from St Andrews for the courses Economics and Management. I am a portuguese student and my current average is 19 (out of 20) and so was my predicted grades. The grades that they asked for was only average of 18 and for IELTS 6.5 (i got 8), so I met they requirements. St Andrews is the university I most wanted to go to and I worked hard to get grades above what they asked and turns out I was rejected anyway, so I was wondering if anyone knows what may have made them reject me?
I already emailed them for feedback but no answer and I don’t think it will change anything, so I’m considering taking a gap year and reapplying next year...
if it wasn’t your grades then it was either your personal statement or your reference. you should see what they come back with but if you do take a year out to reapply then you should really concentrate on perfecting your statement and talk to your referee to see what they could potentially make better, otherwise they’ll just reject you again. sorry you got rejected :/
Original post by hollylooker
if it wasn’t your grades then it was either your personal statement or your reference. you should see what they come back with but if you do take a year out to reapply then you should really concentrate on perfecting your statement and talk to your referee to see what they could potentially make better, otherwise they’ll just reject you again. sorry you got rejected :/

Thank you for answering! I thought so too, although it saddens me because I thought that both my personal statement and my reference were good. Now I realize that probably they weren’t, I’ve been reading a lot of discussions here and all students had help from their schools regarding that and I had to do everything on my own because our schools really don’t know the first thing about UK universities ahahahha. So yeah I didn’t have any professional help and I just asked my Maths teacher to write my reference, which he has never done before.
Do you think I should try to get help from someone in the UK? Don’t really know how to but I’ll have to figure it out
Once again thank you!
Original post by Margoncalves
Thank you for answering! I thought so too, although it saddens me because I thought that both my personal statement and my reference were good. Now I realize that probably they weren’t, I’ve been reading a lot of discussions here and all students had help from their schools regarding that and I had to do everything on my own because our schools really don’t know the first thing about UK universities ahahahha. So yeah I didn’t have any professional help and I just asked my Maths teacher to write my reference, which he has never done before.
Do you think I should try to get help from someone in the UK? Don’t really know how to but I’ll have to figure it out
Once again thank you!

Wait to see what they say.
You can get your ps reviewed on TSR. Shame if you didnt ask.
There is also guidance for referees.
You still have exceptional grades, so theres always ucas extra or clearing, but obviously unless stated otherwise this is the last time for E students as we have left the EU.

There are a limited number of places for EU students, so it may be your PS and reference were fine, just other people has exceptional ones.i.e sometimes you wont have done anything wrong, just that other people did more things right. I can understand you will be gutted. Try a different course.
No problem! I’m an independent applicant from spain so I completely understand how tricky it is to navigate this alone. I’d see if you could get any help regarding your personal statement, maybe from a ucas center if you have any near you? if not, try and contact someone who gas experience helping with statements. As far as your reference, I’d say maybe if you could find a reference online that you like the look of, maybe send it to your teacher so they can get a general idea? Either way, there are many great universities in the uk and if st andrews can’t see what a great student you’d be then its their loss!
Original post by 999tigger
Wait to see what they say.
You can get your ps reviewed on TSR. Shame if you didnt ask.
There is also guidance for referees.
You still have exceptional grades, so theres always ucas extra or clearing, but obviously unless stated otherwise this is the last time for E students as we have left the EU.

There are a limited number of places for EU students, so it may be your PS and reference were fine, just other people has exceptional ones.i.e sometimes you wont have done anything wrong, just that other people did more things right. I can understand you will be gutted. Try a different course.

Thank you for answering!!
I didn’t know that, but you’re right I should have and will if I reapply.
Yes I have been thinking about extra or Clearing although I don’t know if St Andrews does it (I asked on my email so I hope they answer). Even if they do I’m afraid of rejecting my other offers and then still not get into St Andrews and be left with no where to go.
I understand and I’m sure that there are tons of other students just as good and better than me, I’m actually glad the UK left the EU just regarding this topic because that means we’ll probably be qualified as International in the future and I’ve heard they have more spots because of the fees money that is paid straightaway.
I’ve been searching like crazy on google what are the least competitive courses but I couldn’t find anything :frown:
Yes I have been thinking about extra or Clearing although I don’t know if St Andrews does it (I asked on my email so I hope they answer). Even if they do I’m afraid of rejecting my other offers and then still not get into St Andrews and be left with no where to go.
I understand and I’m sure that there are tons of other students just as good and better than me, I’m actually glad the UK left the EU just regarding this topic because that means we’ll probably be qualified as International in the future and I’ve heard they have more spots because of the fees money that is paid straightaway.
I’ve been searching like crazy on google what are the least competitive courses but I couldn’t find anything :frown:

least competitive degrees are Sustainable Development and Divinity i believe, but st andrews doesn't do clearing or adjustment.

Try Durham, Bath, Bristol, Warwick and Edinburgh as other top unis.

Your best bet is to talk to St Andrews admissions and look at the website.
Combine that with the feedback, then post back.
Original post by hollylooker
No problem! I’m an independent applicant from spain so I completely understand how tricky it is to navigate this alone. I’d see if you could get any help regarding your personal statement, maybe from a ucas center if you have any near you? if not, try and contact someone who gas experience helping with statements. As far as your reference, I’d say maybe if you could find a reference online that you like the look of, maybe send it to your teacher so they can get a general idea? Either way, there are many great universities in the uk and if st andrews can’t see what a great student you’d be then its their loss!

Oh that’s really nice, so we’re actually neighbors ahahah Did you also apply for St Andrews?
I’ll search for that, last year I contacted a company that helps with the process but I ended up not going through with them because in our meeting I felt like they were pushing me to universities they had deals with instead of listening to what I wanted. Besides, I knew the process and they were really expensive, but now I realize they could’ve helped regarding the PS and reference.
Thank you for helping and being so nice!
Original post by A Rolling Stone
least competitive degrees are Sustainable Development and Divinity i believe, but st andrews doesn't do clearing or adjustment.

Try Durham, Bath, Bristol, Warwick and Edinburgh as other top unis.

Thank you!
I got rejected from Warwick as well
I was going to apply for Edinburgh but then switched it with Glasgow, and I haven’t received an answer from them yet
I regret not applying to Durham
Original post by 999tigger
Your best bet is to talk to St Andrews admissions and look at the website.
Combine that with the feedback, then post back.

Will do! Thank you
Thank you!
I got rejected from Warwick as well
I was going to apply for Edinburgh but then switched it with Glasgow, and I haven’t received an answer from them yet
I regret not applying to Durham

i would choose Glasgow over Edinburgh tbh, many reasons why
Original post by A Rolling Stone
i would choose Glasgow over Edinburgh tbh, many reasons why

For real? Well I don’t know if I’ll be accepted or not so don’t want to get my hopes up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending