Will I get my post yr 13 mocks 4 A* predictions as actual grades in July?

Watch
Medwizard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
DISCLAIMER : Sorry for the long read, but it's hard to answer questions without much context. I've tried to give as much context as possible so that I can get accurate answers. Please do give your opinion. I'm actually terrified and need some input. Thank you.

Hey all,

I got AAAB in my yr 13 Jan mocks with 1 mark of A* for chem and physics.
This led me to being predicted 4 A*s (my school uses all the evidence since start of yr 12 to yr 13 mocks I think).
For my end of year 12 internal exams, I got A* A* A and A(close to A* - biology). Again I was predicted 4 A*s for these.

However, I am slightly worried about a few things:

* Homework (some not handed in ). This applies to year 13.

* I have missed a few topic tests to attend interviews and I took days off to prepare for BMAT (probably stupid thing to do but I did do very well on the BMAT and it shows that I wasn't skipping school to muck around at home)

* I have done meh in my topic tests (but I guess it was well enough for my teachers to give me the predictions they did)
e.g. Chem: 85 %, 65%, 70% and 90% (recently)
Physics : around 75% but got 90% in recent one
Bio: Got highest in class for one test (71%), then did average(compared to class) on other two(around 65%)
My teacher said that I got A-A* in my topic tests on my report though

Maths : 90% and above in all topic tests

Things that advantage me:

* GCSEs: Top grades in all of 11 subjcts except an 8 in french and english language
This was despite my low GCSE predictions of only four 9s, few 8s and 7s. This shows that I have the ability to imporve by a lot.

* BMAT: 5.9 section 1, 6.9 section 2, 3.5A section 3
(This is a very good score and BMAT has been shown to have correlation with academic ability, hopefully they look at this, BMAT is a cambridge admissions test for medicine). This goes to show the hard work I am capable of and I don't see why it can't be applied to A levels.

* My year 12 went very well. I got 90% and above in all topic tests and topped my class on many occasions. I did very well on mocks we had in autumn and spring (got letters of commendation sent home)

* I have shown a lot more drive since my mocks (e.g. asking lots of questions in class, sitting through past papers with teachers and getting help)

Externuating circcumstances (kind of):

* Death of cousin and classmate during my Jan yr 13 mocks

* University rejection right in my mocks (affected how well I did, had to take days off from revising due to depression).

* Couldn't really focus on A levels during summer, start of yr 13 due to UKCAT, BMAT and interviews (basically non-medics get all this time which we don't).

The only thing that worries me is my bio since I have not consistently scored well. I hope year 12 is considered quite a bit into the equation. My bio teacher did use really harsh grade boundaries to scare us into revising more.

Let me just finish by saying that I go to a grammar school. Our school tends to get top results and my year 13 predictions are not exactly going to be inflated when they are just for us and not for any uni admissions or anything. These predictions were made in January before coronavirus became serious so

Basically, worried about some of the topic tests in year 13 only.
Last edited by Medwizard; 8 months ago
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Medwizard)
DISCLAIMER : Sorry for the long read, but it's hard to answer questions without much context. I've tried to give as much context as possible so that I can get accurate answers. Please do give your opinion. I'm actually terrified and need some input. Thank you.

Hey all,

I got AAAB in my yr 13 Jan mocks with 1 mark of A* for chem and physics.
This led me to being predicted 4 A*s (my school uses all the evidence since start of yr 12 to yr 13 mocks I think).
For my end of year 12 internal exams, I got A* A* A and A(close to A* - biology). Again I was predicted 4 A*s for these.

However, I am slightly worried about a few things:
* Homework (some not handed in ). This applies to year 13.
* I have missed a few topic tests to attend interviews and I took days off to prepare for BMAT
* I have done meh in my topic tests (but I guess it was well enough for my teachers to give me the predictions they did)
e.g. Chem: 85 %, 65%, 70% and 90% (recently)
Physics : around 75% but got 90% in recent one
Bio: Got highest in class for one test, then did average on other two(around 65%)
My teacher said that I got A-A* in my topic tests on my report though

Maths : 90% and above in all topic tests

Things that advantage me:
* GCSEs: Top grades in all of 11 subjcts except an 8 in french and english language
* BMAT: 5.9 section 1, 6.9 section 2, 3.5A section 3
(This is a very good score and BMAT has been shown to have correlation with academic ability, hopefully they look at this, BMAT is a cambridge admissions test for medicine).
* My year 12 went very well. I got 90% and above in all topic tests and topped my class on many occasions. I did very well on mocks we had in autumn and spring (got letters of commendation sent home)
* I have shown a lot more drive since my mocks (e.g. asking lots of questions in class, sitting through past papers with teachers and getting help)

Externuating circcumstances (king of):
* Death of cousin and classmate during my Jan yr 13 mocks
* University rejection right in my mocks (affected how well I did, had to take days off from revising due to depression).
* Couldn't really focus on A levels during summer, start of yr 13 due to UKCAT, BMAT and interviews (basically non-medics get all this time which we don't).

The only thing that worries me is my bio since I have not consistently scored well. I hope year 12 is considered quite a bit into the equation. My bio teacher did use really harsh grade boundaries to scare us into revising more.
Hi there,

I sympathise with your situation. I will be honest, based on your mock grades it is unlikely you would get 4A*s (I would guess that you’d get A*A*AA or maybe A*A*A*A at best) but this is of course just a guess. Of your extenuating circumstances, the bereavement is worth telling Unis but the other factors, although they impact performance, are very commonly experienced by lots of students and so would unlikely be taken into consideration very much.

If you haven’t read this government Q&A yet then hopefully it may answer some of your questions regarding cancelled exams:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...levels-in-2020

Wishing you the best and I hope things work out for you
Medwizard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Mona123456)
Hi there,

I sympathise with your situation. I will be honest, based on your mock grades it is unlikely you would get 4A*s (I would guess that you’d get A*A*AA or maybe A*A*A*A at best) but this is of course just a guess. Of your extenuating circumstances, the bereavement is worth telling Unis but the other factors, although they impact performance, are very commonly experienced by lots of students and so would unlikely be taken into consideration very much.

If you haven’t read this government Q&A yet then hopefully it may answer some of your questions regarding cancelled exams:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...levels-in-2020

Wishing you the best and I hope things work out for you
Those guesses are good enough for me

My offer is A*AA so I think I'm able to meet it.
What do u think?
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Medwizard)
Those guesses are good enough for me

My offer is A*AA so I think I'm able to meet it.
What do u think?
I think you should hopefully be fine and meet that offer, but of course I can’t say anything with complete certainty. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (134)
28.51%
No - I have already returned home (63)
13.4%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.79%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.57%
No - I live at home during term anyway (135)
28.72%

Watched Threads