The Student Room Group

Theory test expires during coronavirus

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StriderHort
Acht they give you TWO years, I think that's pretty generous, and given that no one else seems to have planned for a year long Covid disruption it's no surprise they haven't. Sorry, but I think this is the learners problem, not the DVLA .

No one likes having to pay again for a missed/failed test, but at the end of the day, if a £25 fee is going to put you off, the rest of motoring will be eye watering.

It’s not two years though because for basically the entirety of one year tests were cancelled ! And some people can take a year to learn how to drive depending on the pace they can learn at and how many lessons they do . It would just courtesy of the dvla reimbursed the fee or even half of it to put towards another test.
Original post by Arkansas
I mean they *didn't* give them two years, contrary to what you said. It was unprecedented and so there should be an equally unprecedented response.

The fee is an act of good faith.

That's not the DVLAs doing though? So far the 'unprecedented response' seems to be going the other way to cater mostly essential driver only., so the action is unprecedented, but not what you want.

How do you mean the fee is good faith? I can only speak for myself, but my test centre wasn't a DVLA facility, it was a private business centre and I don't think they provide their services to DVLA for free or good faith.

I get it would be annoying to have to do it again and feel you weren't able to process, but as said, when given 2 years the learner has to take some responsibility for progress and unforeseen events. Yep, some students, me included, do their theory before they start any lessons, but it's a choice.
I mean they *didn't* give them two years, contrary to what you said. It was unprecedented and so there should be an equally unprecedented response.

The fee is an act of good faith.

I can sympathise and I too in that situation would be aggrieved, however, as earlier posts have pointed out it is no one's fault re the pandemic, 2 years from passing the test is quite a long time and information may have not been retained, this is a safety issue for everyone on the road and.... the DVLSA hands are tied as it is a legal requirement.

Saying all that I do feel for you but time to suck it up and resit if the 2 years expire I'm afraid.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Tashax2
It’s not two years though because for basically the entirety of one year tests were cancelled ! And some people can take a year to learn how to drive depending on the pace they can learn at and how many lessons they do . It would just courtesy of the dvla reimbursed the fee or even half of it to put towards another test.

Ok, that still leaves one year? If you've chose to sit the theory first and spread your lessons over a year (Given the ave is about 35 hour's) that's not even committing to an hour a week. I'm not saying you can't do these things, but you need to take responsibility for the choice IMO.

None of these fees are courtesy or good faith, you're essentially asking for a bung from the taxpayer, and frankly there's a pretty big queue just now.

This is all before taking into account that the DVLA simply don't like drivers or giving refunds, well known for it. Again, I get it's annoying and I'd likely be moping about my £25 if it had caught me out too, but I don't see them budging (I think they made a few statements to that effect)
Reply 24
I agree with a previous post. 2 years is given for a reason. If you haven't been driving you forget, and it's got to be safety first. However as part of the reason for you not having passed your test was out of your control, you could always ask for it to be free, but is all the time and effort worth it when considering the price. You could do it for the principal but the time it'll take could be used doing something more pleasant.
Ok, that still leaves one year? If you've chose to sit the theory first and spread your lessons over a year (Given the ave is about 35 hour's) that's not even committing to an hour a week. I'm not saying you can't do these things, but you need to take responsibility for the choice IMO.

None of these fees are courtesy or good faith, you're essentially asking for a bung from the taxpayer, and frankly there's a pretty big queue just now.

This is all before taking into account that the DVLA simply don't like drivers or giving refunds, well known for it. Again, I get it's annoying and I'd likely be moping about my £25 if it had caught me out too, but I don't see them budging (I think they made a few statements to that effect)

Clearly you don’t seem to understand because you’re not in the position, yes that leaves one year and like I said before it can depend on circumstances the average is actually around 40 hours anyway but look above some people had broken wrists etc so that + covid means that two years wasnt sufficient because of covid if covid hadn’t delayed anything no one would be askin for a courtesy fee because it would be their fault but this isn’t. It’s technically not anyone’s fault as it was an unprecedented situation however they should acknowledge that because of that people should at least be given a partial refund to put towards another test. A lot of circumstances can come around which can stop people doing their tests eg pregnancy deaths etc im not saying that’s an excuse I’m simply saying that that paired with covid makes the two years not enough because covid is continuously affecting things. And before you say it’s just £25 of course it is but add that on top of the money you pay for lessons, car, insurance you don’t just see it as £25 as having to pay for it again is an unnecessary cost added on top of necessary costs. And if you don’t seem to still understand then I can’t help you as if you were in the same position I doubt you would keep the same argument
Original post by Hayley Caughey
I understand that they don’t care what has happened in the last 2 years but I think they are being personally unfair to everyone by shutting there centres down yet making people retake their theories and PAY FOR THEM AGAIN as they can’t get their driving test done that’s what I find unfair!! The test expiry date should be postponed just like everything else has been!

Do you realise how much money test centres will have lost as well though, with all the tests being cancelled? It's not like it's just you. It's unfortunate that you've have a tough few years since taking your test, but there is a reason that a theory test has to be recent - because things change, and you need an up to date knowledge of the theoretical side of driving to be as safe as you possibly can be when you finally get on the road.

The theory test doesn't cost a huge amount of money. It's not their fault you couldn't take your test in the year after your theory (and there have also been lots of test slots in between lockdowns etc, the tests have NOT all been cancelled for an entire year - in fact there's a still a chance you could get one before your theory runs out if you keep an eye out for cancellations etc).

Sorry, it's rubbish, like so many other things thanks to covid. But there's nothing that can be done about it, and the only thing you can do is suck it up. Try and get a test booked, but if not, get your theory done again.

It's very annoying for you, I get that, but you'll just drive yourself mad if you keep getting wound up. Look to the future, think how amazing it will be when you can drive, and just go for it :smile:.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Tashax2
Clearly you don’t seem to understand because you’re not in the position, yes that leaves one year and like I said before it can depend on circumstances the average is actually around 40 hours anyway but look above some people had broken wrists etc so that + covid means that two years wasnt sufficient because of covid if covid hadn’t delayed anything no one would be askin for a courtesy fee because it would be their fault but this isn’t. It’s technically not anyone’s fault as it was an unprecedented situation however they should acknowledge that because of that people should at least be given a partial refund to put towards another test. A lot of circumstances can come around which can stop people doing their tests eg pregnancy deaths etc im not saying that’s an excuse I’m simply saying that that paired with covid makes the two years not enough because covid is continuously affecting things. And before you say it’s just £25 of course it is but add that on top of the money you pay for lessons, car, insurance you don’t just see it as £25 as having to pay for it again is an unnecessary cost added on top of necessary costs. And if you don’t seem to still understand then I can’t help you as if you were in the same position I doubt you would keep the same argument

I think I understand fine, I just don't agree with you. :redface:

BTW people ask for courtesy fees and theory extensions all the time, generally the exact same 'I know it's 2 years but..' or 'I know I failed my test but...' And the DVLA is v firm in saying 'No', so in many ways this is not unprecedented. And the fee largely if not 100% for the test itself. which they did deliver in full... whatever happens after you leave that test centre with a pass certificate is a bit of a grey area as far as refunds go.

It's a simple balance to my eyes, "Life can be complicated! VS "That's why we give you 2 years" and I don't see them budging from that, pressure may increase the longer this goes on right enough. But as I said, private profit making companies are also involved, they don't get into the test racket to give refunds

And I can see why you would care about your £25, i'm saying the taxpayer & Treasury as a whole won't. Vaccination drive, furlough scheme, tax revenue plummet, trade plummet....you can surely see how this grievance, whatever merit it may hold, is simply not going to be a priority?.

Oh, and yes, I would keep the same argument if it happened to me, I already said I'd be openly annoyed, but I would kiss that £25 goodbye and be annoyed for leaving it so late.
I’m fairly sure I’ve overpaid on my insurance to a greater value than £25 over lockdown.

Honestly, I’m just glad that I’m healthy and employed. Sometimes you have to put things in perspective.
£25 (ish) for some people is a lot of money when they also have to fork out for lessons. I do sympathise and can understand the argument, however, don't let this stress you out unnecessarily because you may pass your test before the theory expire date.

Wishing you all the luck in the world.
Original post by Bullseye180
£25 (ish) for some people is a lot of money when they also have to fork out for lessons. I do sympathise and can understand the argument, however, don't let this stress you out unnecessarily because you may pass your test before the theory expire date.

It can be, but for context the original poster must have taken their theory sometime around June 2018 and then had some non-COVID reasons which delayed them taking the practical.

Would it be nice to see some goodwill and have everyone refunded/offered a free retake? Yes, absolutely. But I agree with StriderHort in that the priority for funds has to go elsewhere when you are looking at that amount.
Original post by Bullseye180
I can sympathise and I too in that situation would be aggrieved, however, as earlier posts have pointed out it is no one's fault re the pandemic, 2 years from passing the test is quite a long time and information may have not been retained, this is a safety issue for everyone on the road and.... the DVLSA hands are tied as it is a legal requirement.

Saying all that I do feel for you but time to suck it up and resit if the 2 years expire I'm afraid.

I'm a driver myself and I'm not disagreeing - road safety is important. The least they can do is offer a free rebooking.
Original post by Admit-One
It can be, but for context the original poster must have taken their theory sometime around June 2018 and then had some non-COVID reasons which delayed them taking the practical.

Would it be nice to see some goodwill and have everyone refunded/offered a free retake? Yes, absolutely. But I agree with StriderHort in that the priority for funds has to go elsewhere when you are looking at that amount.

That's not the DVLAs doing though? So far the 'unprecedented response' seems to be going the other way to cater mostly essential driver only., so the action is unprecedented, but not what you want.

How do you mean the fee is good faith? I can only speak for myself, but my test centre wasn't a DVLA facility, it was a private business centre and I don't think they provide their services to DVLA for free or good faith.

I get it would be annoying to have to do it again and feel you weren't able to process, but as said, when given 2 years the learner has to take some responsibility for progress and unforeseen events. Yep, some students, me included, do their theory before they start any lessons, but it's a choice.

I want to make it absolutely clear I don't *want* anything. I can drive. I'm trying to put forward a balanced alternative which is fair. I think you're forgetting:

a) Not everyone is in a University bubble and might actually work a 40 hour week? What if they've got kids? It's difficult to find the time let alone the resources.
b) Critical worker driver tests are not taking place like you purport.
c) DVLA isn't a business. It's a tax payer service which isn't providing value.
(edited 3 years ago)
I want to make it absolutely clear I don't *want* anything. I can drive. I'm trying to put forward a balanced alternative which is fair.

I don't feel the DVLA giving out free tests at their expense sounds v balanced or indeed the least they could do, it sounds more like the most they could do?

What are learner drivers going to bring to the table/sacrifice for the DVLA for balance? :confused:
I don't feel the DVLA giving out free tests at their expense sounds v balanced or indeed the least they could do, it sounds more like the most they could do?

What are learner drivers going to bring to the table/sacrifice for the DVLA for balance? :confused:

I'm not sure you grasp the nature of public services. It's not a business transaction - it's a tax payer service which is supposed to get people driving.
I'm not sure you grasp the nature of public services. It's not a business transaction - it's a tax payer service which is supposed to get people driving.

I feel the private businesses providing tests wouldn't see it that way?
I feel the private businesses providing tests wouldn't see it that way?

A private business which receives public money comes with it public obligations - obviously?
A private business which receives public money comes with it public obligations - obviously?

Presumably, I just don't see how that equals bonus tests or pays for them, or as said, that being the least they could do. I'll leave that to the philosophers though, we evidently don't see it the same way.
Presumably, I just don't see how that equals bonus tests or pays for them, or as said, that being the least they could do. I'll leave that to the philosophers though, we evidently don't see it the same way.

We don't. Anyways, safe driving. :smile:
I had my motorbike mod 2 test booked for jan 26th, obviously it was canceled, having passed my mod 1 part of the test last month,

My cbt, theory and hazard perception expires in 2 months,

If these certificates expire I have to retake all the tests again including the mod1

I find this totally unfair, I should get an extension as I had a test booked before the date of my certificates expiring,

I have a full car driving license so I passed the theory and hazard perception to pass that,

So tell me it ain’t unfair, if it wasn’t for corona virus I would have done and probably passed my full motorbike license

I think it’s a massive injustice tbh

Fair enough if it’s a new driver but I’ve been cmdriving cars for the last 20 years

100% feel that people that had a test booked before the certificates expire should get an extension to allow them to get another test

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending