The Student Room Group

Getting into Oxford

Hi, so I am looking to apply to Oxford Uni to do Physics and start in Autumn 2021 (I'm year 12) . I have read some successful Oxbridge personal statements but wanted some advice on what to do to make my personal statement stand out (eg lectures/books/papers/extra curriculars). Also, if there's anything I can do to increase my chances of passing the entrance exams and successfully get through the interviews. Thanks:smile:
I guess writing about something you are genuinely passionate about so that would be good for your PS and interview since you can talk a lot about it and it will flow nicely.
For science subjects the PS is not the most important part of the application. Sure, do your best to make it stand out but it will not add significantly to your chances. Focus on PAT and interview. For PAT, go over all the old papers and get an understanding of the kind of questions that are asked. But also realize that the PAT format is subject to change. For interview, focus on your ability to discuss physics and mathematics. YOur passion and knowledge of the subject should stand out.
Original post by charlypreston
Hi, so I am looking to apply to Oxford Uni to do Physics and start in Autumn 2021 (I'm year 12) . I have read some successful Oxbridge personal statements but wanted some advice on what to do to make my personal statement stand out (eg lectures/books/papers/extra curriculars). Also, if there's anything I can do to increase my chances of passing the entrance exams and successfully get through the interviews. Thanks:smile:

I don't think Oxford cares that much about PS as I never got asked about it in my interviews. However I got asked about what I wrote in Imperial. So I'd say a good PS is still important if you got backups apart from Oxford. I got offers from both.

What I wrote are just something about physics olympiad, physics study tour, extended essay etc., and how I showed my passion with anecdotes like how I asked scientists about something. There is nothing special--I even included my astronomy Instagram account just to show my consistent passion in the subject. So just "show yourself" :smile:

PAT: Just drill on maths and physics. I don't think they are much harder than the school papers (but the 2019 paper has become significantly harder--you should check it out).

Interviews: Be outgoing and confident even if you are struggling. Always think that you will eventually find the answer, and then your confidence will save you from messing up.
Original post by PetitePanda
I guess writing about something you are genuinely passionate about so that would be good for your PS and interview since you can talk a lot about it and it will flow nicely.

Thank you:smile:)
Original post by jassowal
For science subjects the PS is not the most important part of the application. Sure, do your best to make it stand out but it will not add significantly to your chances. Focus on PAT and interview. For PAT, go over all the old papers and get an understanding of the kind of questions that are asked. But also realize that the PAT format is subject to change. For interview, focus on your ability to discuss physics and mathematics. YOur passion and knowledge of the subject should stand out.

Thanks!
Original post by Starstarhk
I don't think Oxford cares that much about PS as I never got asked about it in my interviews. However I got asked about what I wrote in Imperial. So I'd say a good PS is still important if you got backups apart from Oxford. I got offers from both.

What I wrote are just something about physics olympiad, physics study tour, extended essay etc., and how I showed my passion with anecdotes like how I asked scientists about something. There is nothing special--I even included my astronomy Instagram account just to show my consistent passion in the subject. So just "show yourself" :smile:

PAT: Just drill on maths and physics. I don't think they are much harder than the school papers (but the 2019 paper has become significantly harder--you should check it out).

Interviews: Be outgoing and confident even if you are struggling. Always think that you will eventually find the answer, and then your confidence will save you from messing up.

Thanks so much! That's great
Original post by charlypreston

Here is a chapter a successful Oxford physics offer holder wrote about getting in:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=88279630&highlight=Oxford%20Demystified%20-%20Physics

It's hard to say how you should write a personal statement, because it's personal. Just show, with every sentence, why you are so keen on physics. Don't just list a load of books, but say what that book, or that experience, taught you. Or whether your interest in one book led you to read another book or article which proves your point about X. Your extra reading may give you material to draw on for the interview. I know my son managed to divert the interview back to his EPQ a fair bit, but that might just have been luck. You need to show that you are not just reading the recommended books on the list.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending