A Chinese girl's opinin about the coronavirus

Watch
Wuxinyu
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, guys, I am Kelly from China! How is everything going in your countries?
the situation really improved a lot here in my country, many cities have no people infected now, but we are still being locked down just in case. though we are locked down, in my city not so many people are infected so we can go out if we want.(but actually few people go out unless they have to buy sth!)
I just heard some countries have some kind of discrimination about people wearing masks.....actually all the people who go outside are wearing masks in China now, even in some places all of those who wear masks are actually not infected! We just use it to protect ourselves, it is not a symbol that we are infected by the virus!
What do your guys think and do you wear masks when you go out?
I just want to state that not all the people you see on the street, who are wearing masks, are patients, they just try to protect themselves.And I am pretty sad when I heard about the news that some Asians are teased just because they are wearing MASKS!
you know it might be cultural differences, my grandma and even some younger people wearing masks before this disease quite often. And I know Japanese always wear masks when they go out if they do not have make ups, it is just their habit, and respect to others, not the sign that everybody should stay away from them.
I am happy if you have any questions about the situation in my country, and I would like to share some local data and news if you want.Some news we see on social media may not be entire true, like what I saw that people posted on some other forums. u know we should think critically about different sorts of information.
I am an international student who is studying IAL, and am happy to make friends in TSR. thanks,xxx

For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.
Last edited by CoolCavy; 1 week ago
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wuxinyu)
the situation really improved a lot here in my country, many cities have no people infected now, but we are still being locked down just in case. though we are locked down, in my city not so many people are infected so we can go out if we want.(but actually few people go out unless they have to buy sth!)
I just heard some countries have some kind of discrimination about people wearing masks.....actually all the people who go outside are wearing masks in China now, even in some places all of those who wear masks are actually not infected! We just use it to protect ourselves, it is not a symbol that we are infected by the virus!
I just want to state that not all the people you see on the street, who are wearing masks, are patients, they just try to protect themselves.And I am pretty sad when I heard about the news that some Asians are teased just because they are wearing MASKS!
you know it might be cultural differences, my grandma and even some younger people wearing masks before this disease quite often. And I know Japanese always wear masks when they go out if they do not have make ups, it is just their habit, and respect to others, not the sign that everybody should stay away from them.
I am happy if you have any questions about the situation in my country, and I would like to share some local data and news if you want.Some news we see on social media may not be entire true, like what I saw that people posted on some other forums. u know we should think critically about different sorts of information.
I am an international student who is studying IAL, and am happy to make friends in TSR. thanks,xxx
Masks aren't effective - it's been proven.

I've seen two people with masks in the last fortnight - most people are just keeping to the guidance on social distancing.
AnonymousNoMore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How does it feel to know that your government tried to silence the doctors who wanted to report on the outbreak?
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Muttley79)

I've seen two people with masks in the last fortnight - most people are just keeping to the guidance on social distancing.
The thing is, wearing masks all the time makes them ineffective. But that doesn't mean they are useless. The length of time spent at contact points (times and places when you must be close to other people) like shops and public transport are often of limited duration. During those periods, it would make sense, especially for people like shop staff, to wear masks but also for customers. Standing in a shop queue, you are forced to be close to others. These are prime times for catching the virus. Masks would help reduce the risk.

We have an extremely relaxed national approach at the moment, where people are still acting as if things are normal in such situations. The government should be widely testing, they should be making masks available, they should be giving clear do's and dont's - but they aren't.

The result is that inevitably a lot of people are going to suffer really badly who otherwise didn't have to. The virus is often extremely painful even when you don't die of it and it is also quite capable of hurting younger people - there are many cases where younger people did not die but had to be on ventilators and continue to suffer pain and difficulty after 'getting better'.

People are currently waaaaaay too relaxed in the UK. The main reason for this is that Boris and his government are not being serious enough, they are still spinning and lying and misrepresenting, rather than being really firm and unequivocal.
Roseyr1119-20
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I can not do my gcses
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Muttley79)

they ARE effective if people are careful not to touch their faces. look at the comparisons of coronavirus control between the countries where facemasks are common
Roseyr1119-20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
How do you know if it's improved alot in your country. What makes you think the government isn't lying now. They lied to you mere month's ago and started a global pandemic.

Further i don't really want to hear about how great it is in your country, you've decimated our (planet) with your travel, irresponsibility, and poor food standards.
exactly !
OctoberRain7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How do you know if it's improved alot in your country. What makes you think the government isn't lying now. They lied to you mere month's ago and started a global pandemic.

Further i don't really want to hear about how great it is in your country, you've decimated our (planet) with your travel, irresponsibility, and poor food standards.
It's not her fault. Blame the Chinese government if you want to blame someone, or, better yet, blame the virus which is the only thing that's actually killing people
Roseyr1119-20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by OctoberRain7)
It's not her fault. Blame the Chinese government if you want to blame someone, or, better yet, blame the virus which is the only thing that's actually killing people
no one asked for you opinion i wanted to my gcses regardless what !
stereotypeasian
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

name a perfect country then
Roseyr1119-20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
name a perfect country then
Switzerland
stereotypeasian
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Roseyr1119-20)
no one asked for you opinion i wanted to my gcses regardless what !
there are bigger problems than your gcses
Roseyr1119-20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
a-levels and masters ok
Roseyr1119-20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Roseyr1119-20)
I can not do my gcses
Ty for like
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Kelly, glad to hear that things have improved in your country. For one thing, it gives me hope that things will get better in the UK as they have in China.

I don't wear a face mask as I'm not sure they do any good but I would never tease another person for doing so - I think it's largely cultural differences as you suggest and we all have to do what we feel makes us safe. Other people should respect that.

Although the media do make a big thing about Chinese people being bullied for wearing face masks I haven't seen that happen to anyone or heard of it happening widely throughout the UK. There are always a few bad apples and bullies but most people are more sensible than that
Wuxinyu
Rep:
?
You know sometimes I cannot understand why some western newspapers always exaggerate the truth, we all know CLEARLY the virus were rampant some weeks ago, we did not deny and said that the situation in China is pretty good at that time! and there is no hidden of the truth or the fake number of people infected be reported... we have clear number since the beginning of the disease of how many people infected in our local news website, including the amount of people infected, those who recovered, and the total amount of people be tested.Even the detail of those who get punishment , those who get rewarded are all reveals to public. All the people that have been infected, the buses they taken, the places they went, are all report to public,There is no hidden of the truth, and you should know that our country have billions of people, can you imagine there is no protest marches even all the people are locked down? all the schools have online classes and nothing went wrong? the situation really goes better, and I have no idea where you some from, but do you feel safe when you go out of the street? I have to tell you, that I do feel safe, because we all wearing masks, even I am living in the origin place of this virus.
the attachment is a local news website that opened a new column to reveals all datas to public, the red flag means there is no people infected here. you can translate it if you like.I hope you can think critically and not be affected by some rumors made by the social media sites or news papers. they usually have political purposes and is not always valid.thank u
Attached files
Roseyr1119-20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Hi Kelly, glad to hear that things have improved in your country. For one thing, it gives me hope that things will get better in the UK as they have in China.

I don't wear a face mask as I'm not sure they do any good but I would never tease another person for doing so - I think it's largely cultural differences as you suggest and we all have to do what we feel makes us safe. Other people should respect that.

Although the media do make a big thing about Chinese people being bullied for wearing face masks I haven't seen that happen to anyone or heard of it happening widely throughout the UK. There are always a few bad apples and bullies but most people are more sensible than that
id wear a ,mask either, imagine all the gangsters that wear mask aswell.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Kelly

Hope you are keeping well. Its never been the norm to wear masks in the UK - unlike in East Asian countries I've been in. No-one ever sees them unless its a tourist. At the moment its very hard to buy them and people who have them are asked to provide them to hospitals and medical workers whose need is the greatest.

Lots of people would like to wear them at the moment but we just cant get any. It may be that people wearing them are looked at because the people think they should be sending them to medical workers not wearing them for shopping.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
they ARE effective if people are careful not to touch their faces. look at the comparisons of coronavirus control between the countries where facemasks are common
Not the sort most people are buying - the masks need to be industrial standard.
Wuxinyu
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)

Thank you for your understanding, and sorry I have posted the discussion in the GSCE forum by mistake! you know nothing is perfect, we are just try hard to make every thing become better, I do not care about how those people who have stereotypes about my country, but I just gave my own opinin as a Chinese.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (90)
52.94%
No, they should still go ahead (34)
20%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (46)
27.06%

Watched Threads