The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford vs LSE - Employability prospects?

Hi, I received offers from both degrees: the MPhil European Politics and Society (Oxford) and the MSc European and International Public Policy at the LSE. While the MPhil at Oxford is 2 years long, the LSE programme is just one year. The latter also seems oriented towards professional skills a lot more. Which do you think would be better in terms of employability outside of the UK?
(edited 4 years ago)
It depends - laypeople outside the UK tend to only really know about Oxbridge, in my experience, though I think that employers, especially within the policy realm, are very likely to know and value LSE. For what it's worth, LSE has many international students, a great career service, and is supposed the be the best in the UK for graduate employability? But when it comes to brand recognition, I think Oxford has the advantage.

I thikn it might be best to carefully consider the courses themselves - would you like to have a longer course? Which one do you think you'll learn the most from? Between Oxford and LSE there really isn't a 'wrong' choice, so don't worry too much :smile:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by caroline.herlin
Hi, I received offers from both degrees: the MPhil European Politics and Society (Oxford) and the MSc European and International Public Policy at the LSE. While the MPhil at Oxford is 2 years long, the LSE programme is just one year. The latter also seems oriented towards professional skills a lot more. Which do you think would be better in terms of employability outside of the UK?

One is public policy, one isn't, so if you want to work in public policy, that might be an issue. Otherwise, the two institutions are sufficiently similar that it is your own personality and skill set which will tip the balance in the recruitment process, say versus that imagiary similar individual with the other degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending