The Student Room Group

Council tax help !!

I have completed a masters end of last year, was travelling after the holidays, then came back UK. then covid hit the world, and I am unable to find a job due it circumstances. Council tax has started sending back letters to pay enormous amounts of money and i really cant pay it.
Is there a way i can avoid it ? How can I prove I am still a student or a freelance ( does that count ?)

Please please please im in urgent need of help !!
Reply 1
Sorry if you finished university last year, how exactly are you still a student for a year afterwards? To me thats naive, I could still say I am a student even tho I finished my degree 10 years ago ....... But I dont.

No theres no way to avoid council tax, the council are the ones who looks after everything to do with the borough you live in from the bin men to providing a service to the roads amount a few things, that your council tax pays for. The council MAY NOT be perfect and may have a lot of problems and may cost alot. Even as a freelancer you still have to pay income tax and council tax.

I am pretty sure you can pay council tax monthly, the only way to be exempt from council tax at the moment is if you sign on at the job centre and claim benefit. At the current situation I dont think anyone is recruiting due to coronavirus so either pay the council tax or claim benefits
Reply 2
Original post by Evelyn34
Sorry if you finished university last year, how exactly are you still a student for a year afterwards? To me thats naive, I could still say I am a student even tho I finished my degree 10 years ago ....... But I dont.

No theres no way to avoid council tax, the council are the ones who looks after everything to do with the borough you live in from the bin men to providing a service to the roads amount a few things, that your council tax pays for. The council MAY NOT be perfect and may have a lot of problems and may cost alot. Even as a freelancer you still have to pay income tax and council tax.

I am pretty sure you can pay council tax monthly, the only way to be exempt from council tax at the moment is if you sign on at the job centre and claim benefit. At the current situation I dont think anyone is recruiting due to coronavirus so either pay the council tax or claim benefits

I just realised it said exemption on the letters, i am still exempt apparently. but thanks for advising about the benefits. its all too uncertain tho as I was planning to leave Uk bfore covid, but now stuck here and unable to find jobs, so looking for online options. thnx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending