The Student Room Group

Will my SATs affect my gcse results?

The typical student that achieved the same maths grade as me in SATs is expected to get a grade 6 in maths and science, however I’m predicted at least an 8 in triple science and maths and I’m worried that this may affect my calculated gcse result by the exam board.
Reply 1
I would continue doing work towards your GCSEs as there is an opportunity to sit an exam when schools open again, if you are not happy with the grade you are awarded. There will also be an appeals process if you think the process has not been correctly applied to you (although there is still uncertainty over what this process will be) Here is the government's most recent update: www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-cancellation-of-gcses-as-and-a-levels-in-2020/coronavirus-covid-19-cancellation-of-gcses-as-and-a-levels-in-2020
Original post by Cuckcoo
I would continue doing work towards your GCSEs as there is an opportunity to sit an exam when schools open again, if you are not happy with the grade you are awarded. There will also be an appeals process if you think the process has not been correctly applied to you (although there is still uncertainty over what this process will be) Here is the government's most recent update: www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-cancellation-of-gcses-as-and-a-levels-in-2020/coronavirus-covid-19-cancellation-of-gcses-as-and-a-levels-in-2020

The government say that the calculated grades would be the “best assessment of work put in” therefore does this suggest that prior attainment cannot bring results down because they understand that students can excel even with average SATs. I think that if SATs were to bring GCSEs down, this would cause a huge uproar among students. I understand if they are using it to boost the GCSEs of students because this would be seen as an indication of their possible “best assessment”.
Reply 3
Original post by 987hannah789
The government say that the calculated grades would be the “best assessment of work put in” therefore does this suggest that prior attainment cannot bring results down because they understand that students can excel even with average SATs. I think that if SATs were to bring GCSEs down, this would cause a huge uproar among students. I understand if they are using it to boost the GCSEs of students because this would be seen as an indication of their possible “best assessment”.

I suppose the only reassurance I can offer is that the government have agreed that predicted grades are not going to be solely used because they vary greatly in their accuracy (depending on schools/teachers) and students increase their capabilities from when these are set. So if they are agreeing that students can improve from when predicted grades are given (maybe 6 or so months ago), they would expect people to improve from their SATs

Quick Reply