Corona Virus Panic Buying ..are you ..?

Watch
Deborah_C
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TeenRose29)
I work at Coventry hospital and I live in Birmingham, there’s nowhere I can go. I have a 45 minute lunch and that’s all. I don’t know what to do. It might sound silly but I actually cried earlier because I just feel imprisoned.
Okay, you probably need to talk to people at work, your mental health is important here. Maybe you need to talk to your parents too and explain why you need to go for a quick run every so often, even a 20 minute run would do you good.
DoritoEvie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No.
I buy enough food for the week and along the way I pick up a few longer-lasting things. Doing this every week has left me with a nice pile of long-lasting food without emptying shelves.
I went out on a search for toilet paper this morning. Found some, but only bought one packet of 9 rolls (rather than two) because I felt like I'd be a huge ass if I did. At least this way I can last a while longer before buying again. However, I still can't find soap. Using dishsoap as an alternative for the time being... my poor hands.
Last edited by DoritoEvie; 1 week ago
Pugglet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Haven’t bought anything
Got no money so can’t afford food lmao
J3m5
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, not really, I'm just using the opportunity of going outside to see if I can get a little bit for myself. When I'm indoors (makes sense 'cause I'm an introvert) I just do my "school work" (it doesn't really feel like school work, just a lot of homework to do 😒) or just do what ever the heck I want to do.
Last edited by J3m5; 1 week ago
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TeenRose29)
I work at Coventry hospital and I live in Birmingham, there’s nowhere I can go. I have a 45 minute lunch and that’s all. I don’t know what to do. It might sound silly but I actually cried earlier because I just feel imprisoned.
People like you I feel sorry for when scumbags strip the shelves bare for no reason
lightlyblue
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I Am just glad i got enough Tights to last me..
Karisa96
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by miss_ambitious)
THIS!!! Thank you! I don't understand why people are overreacting when it comes to food. It's like they're preparing for an apocalypse
You are so right, I'm sure it's a mind set, that people get into. X
Karisa96
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
People like you I feel sorry for when scumbags strip the shelves bare for no reason
Here here, I completely echo that sentiment.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Alternatively: it shows a lack of faith in our government. Which given their erstwhile strategy of 'herd immunity' prior to last week's dramatic policy U-turn...

Had the government taken decisive action when it was sorely needed to enforce social distancing measures...
Do you not think that the latter might be deliberate?

I think people are completely misinterpreting the supposed "U-turn". I've seen it written that the government realised how many would die to changed their mind - as if you government was incapable of interpreting 0.5-1% mortality for itself? :laugh: The government is still acting exactly as it would act if it were aiming for a herd immunity strategy - they just realised that word was toxic.

I think that when this happens next time - and that will be not all that many years away - one thing the government needs to do is to put a hard fast guarantee (using military resources if necessary) that if you can't leave your home you can get a food delivery from the major supermarkets. I think that would have stopped a lot of the panic-buying (from people who were simply worried that if they go into 2 weeks isolation, who will get food for them?), and would guarantee the vulnerable would be kept safe too.
Last edited by nexttime; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (64)
63.37%
No (19)
18.81%
Not sure (18)
17.82%

Watched Threads