The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by donprima
Hello friends

Need some urgent advice here

if i have already achieved my A level grades do i need to send the unis a attachment of the certificate or does the university have access to results of achieved a level applicants.

If they need it pre-interview, then they will ask for it in your applicant portal, or the admissions team will send you an email. If they don't ask for it pre-interview, and you do receive an offer, then you'll need to show them the certificate later.
Reply 181
I know we have already submitted our applications and I didn't really find this community before (international student), but I'd like some thoughts on my application.

I am a graduate (business) student. I went to the top business school and got the top job afterwards, but I always wanted to study medicine (I couldn't do medicine after school purely for financial reasons).

I am going to sit for the BMAT in November. I chose only one exam and I personally liked the BMAT universities better because of their research year (sound silly to want to do extra years as a mature student, but I'd rather the quality be more thorough and I personally have a lot of research interests and would actually like the science degree as well).

I had GCE (not GCSE) O levels in 2010 (6A1B - highest possible grade was A) and GCE A levels in 2012 (2A* math bio 2A phy chem). I graduated with 80% marks in my bachelors (only 80% graduated from our intake).

I applied to A100 of Oxford, UCL, Imperial and Leeds and Msci in Pyschology at UCL.

Did I make really poor selections? 😓 Did I reach too much? 😭😭😭
Original post by LMaaz
I know we have already submitted our applications and I didn't really find this community before (international student), but I'd like some thoughts on my application.

I am a graduate (business) student. I went to the top business school and got the top job afterwards, but I always wanted to study medicine (I couldn't do medicine after school purely for financial reasons).

I am going to sit for the BMAT in November. I chose only one exam and I personally liked the BMAT universities better because of their research year (sound silly to want to do extra years as a mature student, but I'd rather the quality be more thorough and I personally have a lot of research interests and would actually like the science degree as well).

I had GCE (not GCSE) O levels in 2010 (6A1B - highest possible grade was A) and GCE A levels in 2012 (2A* math bio 2A phy chem). I graduated with 80% marks in my bachelors (only 80% graduated from our intake).

I applied to A100 of Oxford, UCL, Imperial and Leeds and Msci in Pyschology at UCL.

Hi, well I don't know whether 80% on your degree is a good score or not but I would say that The first 3 Unis on your list concentrate very much on the BMAT scores. My only advice is to work your socks off and get the very best BMAT score that you can.

Stay calm and be the best that you can be.
Original post by LMaaz

UCL only takes graduates with UK degrees on the A100 program. I have consulted 2 members on their admissions team. Oxford is going to be tough; there are around 70 applicants per place for international students (someone please fact check me, I'm not 100% sure about this one).
Reply 184
Original post by chri.sky
UCL only takes graduates with UK degrees on the A100 program. I have consulted 2 members on their admissions team. Oxford is going to be tough; there are around 70 applicants per place for international students (someone please fact check me, I'm not 100% sure about this one).

I didn't apply to the graduate program, are you sure the accept only students who graduated in UK? What's the difference between someone who has no undergrad education?
Original post by LMaaz
I didn't apply to the graduate program, are you sure the accept only students who graduated in UK? What's the difference between someone who has no undergrad education?

UCL does NOT have a graduate-entry program. See this link: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/study/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/applications-graduates

I'm not sure why they don't take non-UK graduates but it's their policy.
Reply 186
Original post by chri.sky
UCL does NOT have a graduate-entry program. See this link: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/study/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/applications-graduates

I'm not sure why they don't take non-UK graduates but it's their policy.

Screenshot_20201023-235150-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Screenshot_20201023-235247-compressed.jpg.jpeg

I just noticed the second mail ... so are they considering my application or it is just a randomly generated email?

Edit: I made an undergraduate UCAS application, not a graduate one (I chose not to use my degree but listed it as an additional qualification). I am keeping the post in case anyone wants to clarify or I am understanding it incorrectly.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by LMaaz

All the schools you applied I think are the notorious schools known to hardly accept internationals... 😭
Original post by Lalalala93
All the schools you applied I think are the notorious schools known to hardly accept internationals... 😭

Erm I beg to differ since these unis have a higher number of places for international students in medicine, around 20, compared to places other like Plymouth, where seats are only 6-10.

If you mean they are more reluctant (I'm at a loss of a better word) to accept international students, then that can't be the case either since they usually have a full capacity for international places.
Reply 189
oh man I wish I knew you before applying 😭😓😓 seems like I made the stupidest choices now 😐 specially with Leeds :frown: but oh well, here's to hoping for th best 🙏

but thank you for all information and help (on all threads) 🙏👌
Are you 100% sure? I have an email from Plymouth stating they have 6 places for international students for medicine (turns out my initial 9 figure was wrong too)

Yep, I agree, the competition rates are ridiculously high. Except for oxford though, I thought the others had a similar competition ratio. My bad.
Reply 191
YOLO 😅😂😖
Original post by Lalalala93

Uh just wondering, "notorious schools known to hardly accept internationals" - does this apply for Medicine only, or for all courses?
Original post by LMaaz
Are achieved grades given more weight than predicted grades? Is an achieved A*A*AA better than predicted A*A*A*A*?

I don't think so. 4A*s > 2A*s. That's in my opinion at least, will be interesting to see what others say
Original post by LMaaz
Are achieved grades given more weight than predicted grades? Is an achieved A*A*AA better than predicted A*A*A*A*?

Some universities will give achieved grades extra weight in some way - so for example Liverpool gives you full academic points with achieved grades, and Exeter will bump you to the tier above (so A*A*A achieved = A*A*A* predicted). It varies heavily per university and some won't care, though (although obviously it takes some of the stress out for you if you've already achieved your offer). And nothing will compensate for not having their standard offer grades.

You'll have already applied though, so probably best to try and just stop thinking about the selection criteria :smile:
Ah alright, thank you for the clarification! Only just realised that this thread was posted in the Medicine forum, thought it was for all International Applicants :shy2:
(edited 3 years ago)
Aww bless, thank you ahah x
UCAS has released the 2021 applications statistics,, INCREASE BY 14% for international applicants AND 25% increase in HOME applications!!!!!D2145B8E-FD11-4834-A67A-A14F39B22455.jpg.jpeg
Not surprising considering the price change
Hi, if I'm applying internationally will they use the same GCSE and BMAT cut off scores when considering my application ?
I've scored 9,9,A*A*,8,7,7,6 for gcse and I'm predicted an A for bio , A for English, A for chemistry and a B for Maths.
I'm quite worried about my BMAT grade and I'm terrified of not scoring high enough ,,,,
Do I have a good chance of scoring an interview ?

BTW I'm applying to :
Keele
Bright and Sussex
Lancaster
Leeds

Latest