emmesan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello, I am not sure if this has been asked here before or whether there is a centralised hub of information for my question: which medical school has the highest acceptance rate for international students applying to study undergraduate medicine?

Thank you!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by emmesan)
Hello, I am not sure if this has been asked here before or whether there is a centralised hub of information for my question: which medical school has the highest acceptance rate for international students applying to study undergraduate medicine?

Thank you!
This is the thread to post in.

Anyway, Brunel is exclusively for international students; Buckingham and UCLan caters for international students mostly (the latter has a strict criteria for the number of home students) so these are your best bet.

Note: other traditional medical schools can be incredibly competitive, Oxford for example has nearly 100 applicants to one place for international.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
emmesan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
This is the thread to post in.

Anyway, Brunel is exclusively for international students; Buckingham and UCLan caters for international students mostly (the latter has a strict criteria for the number of home students) so these are your best bet.

Note: other traditional medical schools can be incredibly competitive, Oxford for example has nearly 100 applicants to one place for international.
Oh, thank you for correcting my thread!

I was wondering, is there any compilation of acceptance rates of international students for other medical schools?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by emmesan)
Oh, thank you for correcting my thread!

I was wondering, is there any compilation of acceptance rates of international students for other medical schools?
https://public.tableau.com/profile/a...nttoOfferRatio

Check the tabs on the top of the graph.

International: Applicant to Offer Ratio
International: Other Ratios
International: Raw Values
Khalid Al-Raisi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Libbyc16)
work experience
extra study/research/reading related to your chosen subject
What should my research revolve around of?
Libbyc16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Khalid Al-Raisi)
What should my research revolve around of?
a book you’ve read related you your chosen subject
coainecoins
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I started to worry there might be no places left or only a few places for international medical applicants in 2021. Each medical school has only about 20 places for international students, but now it seems most of 2021 places have already been fixed. e.g. QUB always make around 70 offers for 25 international places, now let's guess at least 50 international students already meet the entry requirements, so places have been filled for next year. GAME OVER :mad:
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by coainecoins)
I started to worry there might be no places left or only a few places for international medical applicants in 2021....
You are also forgetting about the fact that all EU students (except Ireland) will be international fee status next year, that's bound to increase the competition ratios for the international places too. Sorry to add to your bad news.
donprima
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi
need some advice here

Last week i achieved A*AA for A levels and im planninng to apply this year for the 2021 intake.(this sep im taking ucat)
Since medical schools are now offering places for the 2021 intake to those who applied for the 2020 intake will my application get rejected?

im doubtful because of applying as a gap year international student and applying with calculated grades

please be kind enough to advice me on this
John Wick11
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by donprima)
Hi
need some advice here

Last week i achieved A*AA for A levels and im planninng to apply this year for the 2021 intake.(this sep im taking ucat)
Since medical schools are now offering places for the 2021 intake to those who applied for the 2020 intake will my application get rejected?

im doubtful because of applying as a gap year international student and applying with calculated grades

This is just my thoughts,. I don’t claim to be an expert or in the know but this is what I think.
In any given year competition for international spots is very high and I doubt any of the Int’l applicants choose to defer. Moreover, the UK universities only have a finite number of spots for Int’l applicants (capped by funding I think) so are unlikely to over-offer, and certainly not to the same extent as they do for the home applicants. So on that basis there shouldn’t be any change in the number of places for international applicants next year.
Of course the government could theoretically lower the cap on Int’l students for medicine next year and reallocate those spots to home students, but at this point, they haven’t (yet).
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by donprima)
Hi
need some advice here

(Original post by John Wick11)
This is just my thoughts,. I don’t claim to be an expert or in the know but this is what I think.
In any given year competition for international spots is very high and I doubt any of the Int’l applicants choose to defer. Moreover, the UK universities only have a finite number of spots for Int’l applicants (capped by funding I think) so are unlikely to over-offer, and certainly not to the same extent as they do for the home applicants. So on that basis there shouldn’t be any change in the number of places for international applicants next year.
Of course the government could theoretically lower the cap on Int’l students for medicine next year and reallocate those spots to home students, but at this point, they haven’t (yet).
Sadly I think that international medical school admissions will be much more competitive next year, because EU students will be classed as international. While that may well put some EU students off the UK entirely, some will still be happy to pay the fees.

The competition ratio for international medical school admissions already goes as high as 70 to 1 in med schools like Oxford.

For your reference, there were some 1,660 EU applicants to UK medical schools in 2018.
asmae66
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do uk medical universities accept moroccan baccalaureate ?
asmae66
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Please anyone here from morocco managed to get a scholarship to study medicine in UK ?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by asmae66)
Do uk medical universities accept moroccan baccalaureate ?
They probably do - you'd need to email them. It's good money for them to take international students... starting from around £40,000 per year!

(Original post by asmae66)
Please anyone here from morocco managed to get a scholarship to study medicine in UK ?
Ever? Yes sure.

But international medical admission itself is incredibly competitive (for Oxford it's nearly 100 to 1, most other med schools is > 20 to 1), let alone scholarships. Even if you get one, it's unlikely to be 100% so you may still need to pay £10,000 or £20,000 etc.

Please continue to post in this thread for international medical admissions queries, thank you
hannahvsanna
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have one year until i finish high school in Portugal, and have been thinking about applying to oxford university this year(st. johns to be specific). considering the new laws that have been established, does anyone have any advice or knowledge on how to get in with a scholarship and other helpful tips? (i know the chances are slim to none so i don't really have my hopes up but its worth trying XD)thank you in advance!!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hannahvsanna)
...i know the chances are slim to none...
Slim is an overstatement.

Even with paying full price, getting into Oxford medicine as an international student is incredibly tough - at 70+ to 1 competition ratio.

Getting a scholarship on top of that? Virtually impossible. Even if you do manage this miracle, it would most likely only cover 25%, 50% etc. so you'd still need to pay > £20,000 or £30,000 per year (that's tuition + college fees).

Feel free to browse last year's International Student threads, or go to the Oxford Uni forum for some inspiration - but be mentally prepared that it'd be a waste of a choice, unfortunately.

Is there no way you can study in Portugal / Spain etc.? Surely it will be much, much cheaper not to mention a lot easier to get in. I mean even other UK medical schools would be cheaper (except Cambridge!) and less competitive.
Last edited by ecolier; 3 weeks ago
hannahvsanna
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Slim is an overstatement.

Even with paying full price, getting into Oxford medicine as an international student is incredibly tough - at 70+ to 1 competition ratio.

Getting a scholarship on top of that? Virtually impossible. Even if you do manage this miracle, it would most likely only cover 25%, 50% etc. so you'd still need to pay > £20,000 or £30,000 per year (that's tuition + college fees).

Feel free to browse last year's International Student threads, or go to the Oxford Uni forum for some inspiration - but be mentally prepared that it'd be a waste of a choice, unfortunately.

Is there no way you can study in Portugal / Spain etc.? Surely it will be much, much cheaper not to mention a lot easier to get in. I mean even other UK medical schools would be cheaper (except Cambridge!) and less competitive.
yeahhh holyyy, and turns out eu students wont even be eligible for a loan so that would certainly be a pain in the bottom XD
in Portugal its extremely cheap, but the medical field is extremely competitive. i was just thinking of going to uni in oxford cause my grades are great so far and it seems like an excellent uni (also my asian parents would be extremely proud). however, not having a negative bank account once i leave uni sounds better in hindsight.
Thank you for replying so quickly!!
shingshing85
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by coainecoins)
I started to worry there might be no places left or only a few places for international medical applicants in 2021. Each medical school has only about 20 places for international students, but now it seems most of 2021 places have already been fixed. e.g. QUB always make around 70 offers for 25 international places, now let's guess at least 50 international students already meet the entry requirements, so places have been filled for next year. GAME OVER :mad:
Sorry, I can't really get what you mean. Do you mean there is nearly no chance to get into medicine in any UK universities for international students in 2021? Why the places are filled?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hannahvsanna)
yeahhh holyyy, and turns out eu students wont even be eligible for a loan so that would certainly be a pain in the bottom XD
in Portugal its extremely cheap, but the medical field is extremely competitive. i was just thinking of going to uni in oxford cause my grades are great so far and it seems like an excellent uni (also my asian parents would be extremely proud). however, not having a negative bank account once i leave uni sounds better in hindsight.
Thank you for replying so quickly!!
You can always study in Portugal and then come and train in the UK? You'd still need to take an exam, but all UK grads will need to take it anyway so it's all equal.

(Original post by shingshing85)
Sorry, I can't really get what you mean. Do you mean there is nearly no chance to get into medicine in any UK universities for international students in 2021? Why the places are filled?
It will certainly be a lot more competitive, to say the least.
shingshing85
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You can always study in Portugal and then come and train in the UK? You'd still need to take an exam, but all UK grads will need to take it anyway so it's all equal.

It will certainly be a lot more competitive, to say the least.
Yes, but I don't understand why the places have been filled?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (1)
12.5%
Less motivated (7)
87.5%

Watched Threads