ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by shingshing85)
Yes, but I don't understand why the places have been filled?
Some people may be asked to defer to next year - so some places are filled.
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by shingshing85)
Yes, but I don't understand why the places have been filled?
Some people will have had to defer- I am considered an international student at the moment and I have had to defer my offer to start studying Medicine in 2021 instead of 2020 as originally planned. I now have an unconditional offer which I accepted and according to UCAS track, a confirmed place for 2021. There are very few international places to begin with (18 at the University I am going to) and I don't think they usually allow deferral for internationals but given the circumstances this year they have had to. Even if only 2 or 3 people classed as internationals have been granted deferral already then they have filled places, this means there might only be 15 places for this years applicants to compete for, hence making it even more competitive then usual.
Last edited by AfricanDream; 3 weeks ago
Lalipatas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello!

I am an international student wanting to study medicine. I still am waiting to write my A level. I’m not sure if my IGCSE results are good enough compared to others so my back up plan is to do nursing. I wanted to ask if I can apply for medicine and nursing at the same university?

Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you xx
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Lalipatas)
Hello!

I am an international student wanting to study medicine. I still am waiting to write my A level. I’m not sure if my IGCSE results are good enough compared to others so my back up plan is to do nursing. I wanted to ask if I can apply for medicine and nursing at the same university?

Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you xx
Bad idea generally, you d get rejected from nursing as your personal statement will make it clear it's a back up , a better back up choice would be something like biomedical sciences.
McGinger
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As above.

Nursing and Medicine are totally different roles -being really simplistic, nursing is more concerned with the patient's response to illness/injury/healing and delivering treatment, but medicine is more focused on diagnosis and prescription of drugs/treatment rather than delivering that treatment. They are obviously complimentary roles, but nursing is not the 'downgraded' version of medicine.

Because of this different focus, you have to have a different mindset to be a Nurse. A PS about Medicine will tell the Uni that actually you dont want to be a nurse at all, and that you dont have the aptitude for that role.

Most people make their 5th choice (if they use it, you dont have to) something like Biochemistry, Medical Science, Cellular/Molecular Medicine etc. These subjects know that despite you applying for Medicine, you may not get it - and they dont care if they see a Medicine PS, they'll consider you for their course anyway.
aaaddaa
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I am studying in Canada now and am planning to apply for medicine in the UK. My OSSD average scores in grade 11 was in the mid 90s (with no AP course) and my UCAT exam score was 2880 SJT Band 1. I've done some shadowing and volunteering work.

I would like to seek some advice on how to apply strategically with my profile and as an international student. Does anyone have any comments on which schools to apply for a better chance?
Arthur95
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
All UK med schools are excellent, but if I were you I would go with St. Andrews university due to the fact that they’ve special medicine course for students who are from Canada especially if you’re planning to do your residency in Canada after graduation. Check their website.
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subject...cine-bsc-a990/
aaaddaa
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Arthur95)
All UK med schools are excellent, but if I were you I would go with St. Andrews university due to the fact that they’ve special medicine course for students who are from Canada especially if you’re planning to do your residency in Canada after graduation. Check their website.
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subject...cine-bsc-a990/
Thanks Arhtur95

St. Andrews university will likely be one of the universities that I will put in my UCAS application. I am thinking of which other schools that I should put in. I guess those more focus on UCAT results? I am thinking of KCL, Manchester and Newcastle and wonder if I have a chance to get an interview from them. Does anyone know how they shortlist applicants from Canada? Are AP courses a requirement?
rraayynnaa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I got my ucat score of 2590. May i know which universities are recommended for me to apply as an INTERNATIONAL student ? I have a few universities in mind, which are Queen Belfast, Cardiff, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Are these okay ?
turkeydinosaur16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by rraayynnaa)
I got my ucat score of 2590. May i know which universities are recommended for me to apply as an INTERNATIONAL student ? I have a few universities in mind, which are Queen Belfast, Cardiff, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Are these okay ?
Have you considered Liverpool? I don't know how it stands in terms of international students but UCAT only counts for 25% of the application.

What band SJT did you get??? I'm asking this because Edinburgh use it fairly substantially compared to other schools. SJT is worth 15% there so its something to consider
Lalipatas
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by McGinger)
As above.

Nursing and Medicine are totally different roles -being really simplistic, nursing is more concerned with the patient's response to illness/injury/healing and delivering treatment, but medicine is more focused on diagnosis and prescription of drugs/treatment rather than delivering that treatment. They are obviously complimentary roles, but nursing is not the 'downgraded' version of medicine.

Because of this different focus, you have to have a different mindset to be a Nurse. A PS about Medicine will tell the Uni that actually you dont want to be a nurse at all, and that you dont have the aptitude for that role.

Most people make their 5th choice (if they use it, you dont have to) something like Biochemistry, Medical Science, Cellular/Molecular Medicine etc. These subjects know that despite you applying for Medicine, you may not get it - and they dont care if they see a Medicine PS, they'll consider you for their course anyway.
I understand. Thank you very much xx
Lalipatas
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
Bad idea generally, you d get rejected from nursing as your personal statement will make it clear it's a back up , a better back up choice would be something like biomedical sciences.
Thank you.
idklol98789
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello! Any help is appreciated.
I’ve got a UCAT score of 2660, IGCSES of 4A*, 3A, 2B, predicteds of 3A* + EPQ, and a decent amount of work experience/ volunteer work. I’ve also got a second qualification from school (SABIS) since I self studied my igcses (not that I think it matters).
Do you think Aberdeen, Southampton, St George’s, and QUB would be safe choices? Or should I be looking else where?
Thank in advance!
DuncanMyBiscuit
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi folks,

I'm applying as a graduate to undergraduate medicine (aside for maybe Swansea). Can someone help me decide which universities I might have the best chances at? Thanks.
UCAT: 2730 (average 682.5)
- SJT: 600 (UCAT ANZ gives SJT as a raw score rather than bands. Not sure how this translates to band 1-4)

GAMSAT score of 65 (weighted average)

Bachelor of Biomedical Science (non-Honours, long story but Australian Honours is a stand alone research project which many UK universities are aware of and accommodate by requiring a GPA of 5/7, or Distinction/High Distinction instead)
- Overall grade point average of 5.85/7, or ~83%.

Secondary school grades (not sure how this translates to A-levels):
- Queensland OP 3 (equivalent to ATAR ~95.5)
- English and Maths at Very High Achievement
- Biology and Chemistry at High Achievement

The universities I'm considering applying to are: Dundee (first preference), Newcastle (A100, not A101), Swansea (graduate entry), Plymouth (applying as a non-direct school leaver using my GAMSAT), Queen's University Belfast, Nottingham, and East Anglia. Currently I'm thinking of applying to Dundee, Newcastle, Swansea, and Plymouth, but I'm not sure if this is the most strategic or not, especially given how competitive international places are.

Thanks for your help!
idklol98789
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by missyallie)
hello, since this is an international applicant thread, is anyone applying for AUSTRALIA medical schools ie. Monash Uni or UNSW New South Wales medical schools? I am applying to both UK and Australia this year but the COVID is affecting us all If you taking the ISAT exam for Australia medicine, I love to exchange practice questions and share exam tips for prepping together! Cheers

Hello! I’m applying to Australia too. Haven’t started looking at any of the unis since the application process is pretty far off. Happy to discuss anything tho
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by idklol98789)
Hello! I’m applying to Australia too. Haven’t started looking at any of the unis since the application process is pretty far off. Happy to discuss anything tho
I am repeating what I said to missyallie

This is the international applicants to UK medical school thread, not application to international medical schools thread.

You'll need to go to the "International Studies" forum (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=116), and specifically the "Studying in Australia" forum (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=799). The Medicine forum is primarily for UK medical schools and it looks like there are already a few threads about Australian med schools there.

Bottom line: please do not use this thread to talk about Australian medical admissions as it will take this thread off topic (it's for international students applying to UK med schools).
idklol98789
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
I am repeating what I said to missyallie

This is the international applicants to UK medical school thread, not application to international medical schools thread.

You'll need to go to the "International Studies" forum (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=116), and specifically the "Studying in Australia" forum (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=799). The Medicine forum is primarily for UK medical schools and it looks like there are already a few threads about Australian med schools there.

Bottom line: please do not use this thread to talk about Australian medical admissions as it will take this thread off topic (it's for international students applying to UK med schools).
Oh I’m so sorry I didn’t realize. New on here
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by idklol98789)
Oh I’m so sorry I didn’t realize. New on here
Don't worry about it
Sejalsinha
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I want to apply in UK medical schools as an international student from India for 2021 entry.Unlike UK, We don’t get expected A level grades . So how can I apply if I will get my CBSE Class 12 marks only in 2021.
Steve8888
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sejalsinha)
I want to apply in UK medical schools as an international student from India for 2021 entry.Unlike UK, We don’t get expected A level grades . So how can I apply if I will get my CBSE Class 12 marks only in 2021.
Best to look at the universities websites that you are interested in and also email them to find out their specific requirements on the above entry requirements. Some universities except Igcses prior to the equivalent A-level results Plus the UK cat test for consideration
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (1)
12.5%
Less motivated (7)
87.5%

Watched Threads