Elissa Mitri
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! My name’s Elissa and I’m graduating next year from uni in Lebanon with a degree in biology. I’m planning on applying to med in the UK for 2021, but I personally don’t know many people who have done the same. So, if anyone has any advice from experience about what specific unis look for, info about the interview process and how best to prepare for them, and just any insight whatsoever into the specifics of said uni you’ve gotten to apply to for med that could possibly help make this process a bit easier for me 😅
Thanks!
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by rraayynnaa)
I got my ucat score of 2590. May i know which universities are recommended for me to apply as an INTERNATIONAL student ? I have a few universities in mind, which are Queen Belfast, Cardiff, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Are these okay ?
To be honest your UCAT score is probably a bit low for Edinburgh and possibly borderline if not a bit low for Glasgow as well. For Glasgow as far as I know the cut-off score for UCAT that results in an offer to interview depends on the applications they receive and those applicants scores each year (I got this info from the UofG MBChB Admissions Procedures document available online to download from the website). For international applicants the lowest score that resulted in an offer to interview for 2018 entry was 2680 yet for 2019 entry it was 2600 so there can be variation. I don't about QUB or Cardiff as I didn't apply to those schools but I do know that Aberdeen could possibly be good choice for you to apply to. Apply strategically and play to your strengths. I would definitely recommend doing research on a wide range of medical schools so you can figure out which schools would be viable options with your UCAT score, obviously there are also BMAT universities so if you do the BMAT and do well that could give you several other options (I only did the UCAT so I don't know much about the BMAT).
cakebuster17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I want to study medicine at uk, how hard is it for international students to get accepted by universities
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by cakebuster17)
Hi, I want to study medicine at uk, how hard is it for international students to get accepted by universities
Very hard. For some med schools the competition ratio is near 100 to 1 (Oxford), otherwise most med schools will still have at least 10, 20 to 1 ratios.

Not to mention it's super expensive as well, and of course, with Brexit from 2021/22 onwards EU students will be classified as International Students, making this category even more competitive.
dwiti.ponda
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is 2610 and Band 1 a good score for an international student? What are the universities I can apply to.
I was thinking of Cardiff, Nottingham and Aberdeen
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by dwiti.ponda)
Is 2610 and Band 1 a good score for an international student? What are the universities I can apply to.
I was thinking of Cardiff, Nottingham and Aberdeen
I have moved your post here... you could also have posted in https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6679038 but the our amazing experts answer all the questions in there are not as proficient for International admissions, so your post is in this thread. Hopefully someone here can answer your question.
Riolande
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know this question has been asked before but it was a while back, im hoping to be able to go to the UK next year to study medicine and would like to know the chances of getting a foundation there after i graduate.im a malaysian student.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Riolande)
I know this question has been asked before but it was a while back, im hoping to be able to go to the UK next year to study medicine and would like to know the chances of getting a foundation there after i graduate.im a malaysian student.
Chances are low, international competition for medical school places in the UK is fierce but it's not impossible.

This is the thread to discuss with other international applicants.
FriedChicken0
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Let's say you got an offer for medicine and the university is asking for your IELTS result but you missed the mark u needed by a 0.5 (in one section). Would the uni be a bit flexible? Anyone had an experience like this?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by FriedChicken0)
Let's say you got an offer for medicine and the university is asking for your IELTS result but you missed the mark u needed by a 0.5 (in one section). Would the uni be a bit flexible? Anyone had an experience like this?
Depends on many factors - the medical school, how competitive they were that year, how much they like you, how much you scored in UCAT / A-Levels / alternative qualifications etc. etc.
Aditya_Nath
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I have a few doubts regarding the application process:
1. how to apply for exams like UCAT and BMAT as an international student (I'm from India, it will be great if you give me answers in that perspective)
2. How to do the UCAS application? Please put the details because that's what i'm missing to know.
3. What are the important dates when the application process begins?
4. Will the UCAT be conducted online next year i.e. 2021 too?(i'm asking this because the nearest centre for me is nearly in the other side of the country.
Thank you!
your help will be appreciated!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Aditya_Nath)
I have a few doubts regarding the application process:
1. how to apply for exams like UCAT and BMAT as an international student (I'm from India, it will be great if you give me answers in that perspective)
2. How to do the UCAS application? Please put the details because that's what i'm missing to know.
3. What are the important dates when the application process begins?
4. Will the UCAT be conducted online next year i.e. 2021 too?(i'm asking this because the nearest centre for me is nearly in the other side of the country.
Thank you!
your help will be appreciated!
Please post in this thread for international student queries, thank you.

I am sure you can take the UCAT and BMAT overseas, having checked their website?

https://www.ucat.ac.uk/ucat/registration-booking/

https://www.admissionstesting.org/fo...bmat-november/

You'll need to apply by 15th October the year before starting.

Note that international students face a much higher competition ratio and of course the fees are very high.

For the basics, start with https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine and ask specific questions.
Last edited by ecolier; 6 days ago
Aditya_Nath
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
is it very competitive for international students to get in a Uni in UK, (especially King's that's what i'm planning for). I have pretty decent grade, (3A* in GCSE in the UK system) and i hope to get a good score in the UCAT too. Any hope?
Also, please lemme know about the application in UCAS. i guess the information given there is not pretty clear.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
is it very competitive for international students to get in a Uni in UK
Yes

(especially King's that's what i'm planning for). I have pretty decent grade, (3A* in GCSE in the UK system) and i hope to get a good score in the UCAT too. Any hope?
Also, please lemme know about the application in UCAS. i guess the information given there is not pretty clear.
King's did not provide that information. Read https://public.tableau.com/views/UKm...nttoOfferRatio for other med schools' international competition ratios.

It's not impossible but it's hard.

What information is not clear about UCAS? Tell us what you think happens and we will fill in the blanks.
Aditya_Nath
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes

King's did not provide that information. Read https://public.tableau.com/views/UKm...nttoOfferRatio for other med schools' international competition ratios.

It's not impossible but it's hard.

What information is not clear about UCAS? Tell us what you think happens and we will fill in the blanks.
i dont know what all is needed in the process,and how to use the website to apply as an international student. i guess a personal statement is needed, then the UCAT & BMAT scores, along with grades of the high school. What more do they want.
And when does the application process begin. Will i have to give the UCAT after applying in the UCAS (because both UCAT and BMAT need something called "Student ID", which i dont know. In addition to that, we also have UCAT in the September and BMAT in the November, but the UCAS application seem to start from July and end in December. This makes the situation more weird.
I know i'm totally messed up, so i'd like to request you to provide me with the full process, from the very beginning to the end, of the UCAS application. *Your help will be really appreciated*!
aaaddaa
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
For the UCAS application, do international students need to input all their academic results in their secondary school years or just grade 11 and grade 12 predicted grades are sufficient?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
i dont know what all is needed in the process,and how to use the website to apply as an international student. i guess a personal statement is needed, then the UCAT & BMAT scores, along with grades of the high school. What more do they want
You are correct, but start with the official guide: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studyin...nal-applicants

And when does the application process begin. Will i have to give the UCAT after applying in the UCAS (because both UCAT and BMAT need something called "Student ID", which i dont know. In addition to that, we also have UCAT in the September and BMAT in the November, but the UCAS application seem to start from July and end in December. This makes the situation more weird.
You take / sit the UCAT before applying to UCAS (it's designed so that you know your score / the whole year's scores before applying), but the BMAT you'll take either just before (in September, Oxford doesn't accept this) or just after UCAS (in November, accepted by all).

Note: it's not give the test / exam. In Hindi it's exam dhena but in English giving the test means you're composing the test, or you are administering it as an examiner. Just say you're taking / sitting / doing the test.

I know i'm totally messed up, so i'd like to request you to provide me with the full process, from the very beginning to the end, of the UCAS application. *Your help will be really appreciated*!
Start with reading https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine thoroughly
himanshu0000000
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I had posted this in the other 'which medical school should I apply to ' forum. Maybe it would be better to post it here. I would love to hear any recommendations!
IGCSE:
9- Physics
9- Chemistry
9- Biology
9- Human Biology
9- English language
9- Maths
8- French
7- Pure Maths
6- English Literature

A-level predicted
A* - physics
A*- chem
A*-biology
A*- maths

UCAT breakdown
VR- 590
DM- 650
QR- 720
AR- 710
Total : 2670
SJT - Band 1

Work experience
2 weeks at two different large hospitals
2 weeks at charity clinic and after that sporadically over the last two years when they needed help
3 years working in a soup kitchen

Other
Piano grade 8
DofE gold

I know not many people are well versed in international applications but any help would be greatly appreciated!
I'm considering applying to Nottingham, Leicester, UEA and St Georges . (Nottingham score of 48 and Leicester score of 57.5) Is there anywhere else anyone would recommend me applying? Thanks a lot in advance.
Lavi.m
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi everyone, I got my results for the UCAT scoring 2700 and band 1.
I am worried how my score is going to be considered since I read so many students getting really high results . Is my score good enough for applications?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Lavi.m)
Hi everyone, I got my results for the UCAT scoring 2700 and band 1.
I am worried how my score is going to be considered since I read so many students getting really high results . Is my score good enough for applications?
Post again in this format - note that we don't have many international medical school admission experts, you may not get much of a response!

If you are wanting advice about med school applications, we need (as a minimum)
GCSEs and grade breakdown
A levels and predictions
UCAT and breakdown
SJT band
Brief mention of work experience
Any contextual or WP flags
The research you have done and any preferences

It also needs to be remembered that everyone advising here is doing so voluntarily and on top of other commitments, so manners and patience will receive a more favourable response!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (1)
12.5%
Less motivated (7)
87.5%

Watched Threads