The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Are people who go to the open uni employable?

For example, when studying physics there via online classes, are you still likely to be employed after graduating? Especially if say somebody else from the uni of Manchester competes for the same job? I personally like the idea of online teaching and the fact that you can go to this uni to study what you like without much prior experience but is it worth it?
OU graduates are very employable.

A few stats from some random degrees on the OU careers page:
90% of OU business studies graduates are in employment six months after they graduate.
94% of OU Engineering and Technology graduates are in employment six months after they graduate.
88% of OU Law graduates are in employment or undertaking further study six months after they graduate.

Of course, the job market is super competitive, so if you are up against an Oxbridge graduate with already 10 years of experience and 52 A*s at GCSE, it's gonna be tough. But the stats show OU graduates are doing great finding employment and/or further study.
If you cannot find the stats on the exact course you want to take, ring the OU and ask for more information on what graduates did after leaving the OU :smile:
It can also be worth calling up possible employers and ask for there advice, eg: what modules would you want a future employee to choose? Do you value a degree accredited by X?

Some tips that definitely will help you:
- choose an OU degree that is accredited
- try to gain as much work experience before and whilst studying your degree
- attend OU career events
- make the most use out of the OU career advice pages
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I feel like most people do OU whilst working as well, so they have experience, possibly even years of it.

Maybe I'm wrong because I haven't actually looked up the student make up of OU, but honestly, if you put a fresh undergrad from manchester against a fresh undergrad from OU, I'm pretty sure the manchester kid will get the job.

Quick Reply

Latest