The Student Room Group

Brexiters of TSR, thoughts about the current Covid-19 epidemic?

Mod edit: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.

As a remainer, I actually feel sorry for those who voted for Brexit and were so desperate for it to happen. Finally got what you wanted but now it seems there’s far more important and pertinent issues to address in the UK or worldwide.

In addition, what are your thoughts on the severe shortage of foreign nurses and doctors who decided not to come and settle here due to e hostile environment to immigration the past few years? How do you think we can tackle this crisis without the personnel required? Are you happy with the governments handling of this issue? Do you think things may have been different if we were still in the EU?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eva.Gregoria
As a remainer, I actually feel sorry for those who voted for Brexit and were so desperate for it to happen. Finally got what you wanted but now it seems there’s far more important and pertinent issues to address in the UK or worldwide.

In addition, what are your thoughts on the severe shortage of foreign nurses and doctors who decided not to come and settle here due to e hostile environment to immigration the past few years? How do you think we can tackle this crisis without the personnel required? Are you happy with the governments handling of this issue? Do you think things may have been different if we were still in the EU?

1. We havent left fully yet and are still in transition. We wont know the real impact for 30-50 years.
2. Whether we would be in or out we would still be dealing with the issue.
3. There is a shortage of medical staff generally. There will still be plenty form the EU in the NHS. The country will need to attract other medical staff, train more UK ones and more importantly look at retention issues.
4. We can tackle the crisis by minimising the impact, social distancing etc, gove making smart decisions and if pushed they may ask for retired personnel plus those who have left the profession to help out. being in the EU would make no difference as EU medical staff will be helping in their own countries.
5. I believe there should be stricter rules if people arent following them but happy if Boris is following Michael Whitty and other expert advice. UK has excellent medical staff and scientists, something you should be proud of. We are a lot better placed than some other countries.
6. No I dont think it would be any different as we are still in the transition phase.

I am neither a Brexiteer or a remainer. I do not know how you think being in the EU would help us.
Original post by 999tigger
1. We havent left fully yet and are still in transition. We wont know the real impact for 30-50 years.
2. Whether we would be in or out we would still be dealing with the issue.
3. There is a shortage of medical staff generally. There will still be plenty form the EU in the NHS. The country will need to attract other medical staff, train more UK ones and more importantly look at retention issues.
4. We can tackle the crisis by minimising the impact, social distancing etc, gove making smart decisions and if pushed they may ask for retired personnel plus those who have left the profession to help out. being in the EU would make no difference as EU medical staff will be helping in their own countries.
5. I believe there should be stricter rules if people arent following them but happy if Boris is following Michael Whitty and other expert advice. UK has excellent medical staff and scientists, something you should be proud of. We are a lot better placed than some other countries.
6. No I dont think it would be any different as we are still in the transition phase.

I am neither a Brexiteer or a remainer. I do not know how you think being in the EU would help us.

I don’t think it’s simply being in the EU that would make much difference. It’s the constant narrative that came with the brexit discussion which put off many foreign healthcare professionals. Anti-immigration sentiments, racial attacks on the street or in hospitals would obviously make an EU professional think if it’s worth coming over to work in the UK.

An example of an article detailing this is below:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/nhs-missing-10000-nurses-brexit-21694725

If we spent our time fully supporting the NHS instead of fighting among ourselves and committing self-harm by turning off all conversation that doesn’t have anything to do with Brexit, perhaps we may have been in a better position.
Reply 3
Don’t think the U.K. being in the EU would lessen the coronavirus outbreak. And as above said, we are in transition phase right now anyway.

The best way to stop the outbreak is to take action ourselves, it’s our responsibility to practice good hygiene and social distancing, the government can give advice/orders but we need to follow what we are told. This is irrelevant to Brexit.
This thread is trollish and a bit pathetic. Well done.
Reply 5
Truly sad how, even in an unprecedented international crisis, there are still people going around trying to twist absolutely any straw they can cling onto into a petty, political points-scorer, just to try to make themselves feel better.

Whether that be related to a New World Order they're convinced exists, an election in December 2019, vaccination policy... or an argument that they lost approximately 45 months ago.
I don’t think it’s simply being in the EU that would make much difference. It’s the constant narrative that came with the brexit discussion which put off many foreign healthcare professionals. Anti-immigration sentiments, racial attacks on the street or in hospitals would obviously make an EU professional think if it’s worth coming over to work in the UK.

An example of an article detailing this is below:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/nhs-missing-10000-nurses-brexit-21694725

If we spent our time fully supporting the NHS instead of fighting among ourselves and committing self-harm by turning off all conversation that doesn’t have anything to do with Brexit, perhaps we may have been in a better position.

You seem to think this is about the EU, whereas I would be more interested in retaining UK nurses and employing people who live here. Why should we need to rely on other countries to produce nurses? Why not make it a more attractive job for UK nurses? They are alos more likely to stay in the UK.

It is an issue of £

The article doesnt say how many of those nurses have been replaced from nurses coming from outside the EU. I would think its about the same as non EU immigration has replaced the drop in immigration from the EU.

The article does mention that
Numbers in the UK applying for nursing degrees is 25 per cent down on 2016 when bursaries were abolished.

Not really seeing your point.
Original post by 999tigger
You seem to think this is about the EU, whereas I would be more interested in retaining UK nurses and employing people who live here. Why should we need to rely on other countries to produce nurses? Why not make it a more attractive job for UK nurses? They are alos more likely to stay in the UK.

It is an issue of £

The article doesnt say how many of those nurses have been replaced from nurses coming from outside the EU. I would think its about the same as non EU immigration has replaced the drop in immigration from the EU.

The article does mention that
Numbers in the UK applying for nursing degrees is 25 per cent down on 2016 when bursaries were abolished.

Not really seeing your point.

Ideally, yes we should train and recruit enough nurses to cover demand. But we aren’t living in an ideal world and since the government have been lazy in recruiting vital healthcare staff over the years, we had to fill the gap by recruiting foreign healthcare workers.

There isn’t time to invest in and retain healthcare professionals, that would take years if not up to a decade. Something needs to be done right now especially with his pandemic. My question is don’t you think that if there wasn’t such an anti-immigration sentiment in the UK the past few years, we would have more healthcare workers on the front line? A lot of people deliberately voted for Brexit to have fewer immigrants in the country without thinking about what they contribute to the economy and healthcare.
Original post by Em.-.
Don’t think the U.K. being in the EU would lessen the coronavirus outbreak. And as above said, we are in transition phase right now anyway.

The best way to stop the outbreak is to take action ourselves, it’s our responsibility to practice good hygiene and social distancing, the government can give advice/orders but we need to follow what we are told. This is irrelevant to Brexit.

I haven’t said that being in the UK would directly affect the spread of the outbreak. My point is the social consequences of Brexit which meant that foreigners no longer feel welcome in Britain meaning they aren’t coming to the UK in the numbers required and a consequence of that is that we have a diminished number of workers.

Original post by YaliaV
This thread is trollish and a bit pathetic. Well done.

You may think that, but I have asked a direct question. I’m curious to find out if after hoping for fewer immigrants, this has meant that the healthcare professionals we need aren’t coming in to the country anymore in the numbers required. Was this the intention?

Original post by Neilos
Truly sad how, even in an unprecedented international crisis, there are still people going around trying to twist absolutely any straw they can cling onto into a petty, political points-scorer, just to try to make themselves feel better.

Whether that be related to a New World Order they're convinced exists, an election in December 2019, vaccination policy... or an argument that they lost approximately 45 months ago.

See my replies above. Being in the EU or not isn’t my point. My point is the anti-immigration sentiment which has put off many foreign healthcare professionals meaning we are different a severe shortage in the face of this Covid-19 outbreak.
People are going to be MUCH less afraid of a no-deal Brexit upon the ashes of the societal/economic collapse caused by COVID19.
Original post by A Rolling Stone
People are going to be MUCH less afraid of a no-deal Brexit upon the ashes of the societal/economic collapse caused by COVID19.

I agree that put into perspective, a no deal brexit is probably better or easier on the economy than covid-19. My point however is that we’re at the stage we’re out now because a lot of time and resources have gone into making brexit happen, all the while discouraging foreign healthcare workers due to the anti-immigration sentiments the last few years.
I agree that put into perspective, a no deal brexit is probably better or easier on the economy than covid-19. My point however is that we’re at the stage we’re out now because a lot of time and resources have gone into making brexit happen, all the while discouraging foreign healthcare workers due to the anti-immigration sentiments the last few years.

yes COVID19 is all brexit's fault. idiot.
Reply 12
Original post by A Rolling Stone

Well on the one hand if the economy has already been ***** slapped another kicking is unlikely to make much tangible difference. On the other, however, people might find that it's one kicking too much. The straw that broke the camels back as it were.
But who can say at this point.
Last time I was in hospital I was looked after by a few Spanish nurses and I thought they were very good ... but if anything I think atm Spain probably needs it's nurses more than we do.

most recent figures on wikipedia show Spain has 1381 covid deaths in a population of 46M whereas UK has 233 covid deaths in a population of 68M
Despite what you read in the Daily Nail the UK is not the most affected country

Generally the UK is poaching it's nurses from less prosperous countries - anyone think about what's that's doing to those donor countries?
Free movment is just great for stopping COVID-19, right? If anything this confirms the EU is a failed project.
.......if lockdowns will work to prevent people traveling and viruses and diseases spreading...

Then so will brexit obviously. Thankfully this user has been blocked for years so I can't see their op unless it's quoted 😁
Reply 16
Original post by quirky editor
Free movment is just great for stopping COVID-19, right? If anything this confirms the EU is a failed project.

Rather a dim comparison. Not to mention exceptionally reaching.

As a normal rational thinking human, I actually feel sorry for those who voted for remain and were so desperate for it not to happen they would lie, twist, falsely accuse prejudice and generally act like spolit children. They got put in their place by the electorate over and over again but still they went for a 100% of the result on 48% of the vote, lost their power and credibility by talking sheer exaggerated nonsense, inplying impending doom cr but now it seems there’s actually is a actual crisis far more important and pertinent issues to address in the UK, the deluded soles write point scoring garbage like this.

Stupid question 1)
what are your thoughts on the severe shortage of foreign nurses and doctors who decided not to come and settle here due to e hostile environment to immigration the past few years?

There isnt a hostile environment to foreign nurses and doctors due to Brexit alone.

2)How do you think we can tackle this crisis without the personnel required?

Who is saying we can, do you realise the ramifications of what you are saying here? You do realise the other EU countries they have this virus also, dont you?

3) Are you happy with the governments handling of this issue?

This issue? I've been uber busy over the last 2 weeks so I'm not nest placed to answer.

4) Do you think things may have been different if we were still in the EU?

No, absolutely not
(edited 3 years ago)
I fail to see what Covid-19 has to do with brexit. Really clutching at straws.
Original post by Joinedup

Generally the UK is poaching it's nurses from less prosperous countries - anyone think about what's that's doing to those donor countries?

Bringing prosperity in the form of remittances.

Many countries produce more health professionals that they can in normal circumstances afford to employ. That is not only the Philippines but also Spain.and Ireland. Rather than have a nation of unemployed nurses or worse dismantle their very good nursing education programmes because of a lack of demand, we give those countries an export industry.

Quick Reply

Latest