Brexiters of TSR, thoughts about the current Covid-19 epidemic?

Watch
Eva.Gregoria
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
yes COVID19 is all brexit's fault. idiot.
Never once have I made that claim. Are there or are there not less healthcare professionals coming to the UK because of the hostile environment brought on by brexit? It’s a simple question, just answer it.

(Original post by Burton Bridge)
As a normal rational thinking human, I actually feel sorry for those who voted for remain and were so desperate for it not to happen they would lie, twist, falsely accuse prejudice and generally act like spolit children. They got put in their place by the electorate over and over again but still they went for a 100% of the result on 48% of the vote, lost their power and credibility by talking sheer exaggerated nonsense, inplying impending doom cr but now it seems there’s actually is a actual crisis far more important and pertinent issues to address in the UK, the deluded soles write point scoring garbage like this.

Stupid question 1)
what are your thoughts on the severe shortage of foreign nurses and doctors who decided not to come and settle here due to e hostile environment to immigration the past few years?

There isnt a hostile environment to foreign nurses and doctors due to Brexit alone.

2)How do you think we can tackle this crisis without the personnel required?

Who is saying we can, do you realise the ramifications of what you are saying here? You do realise the other EU countries they have this virus also, dont you?

3) Are you happy with the governments handling of this issue?

This issue? I've been uber busy over the last 2 weeks so I'm not nest placed to answer.

4) Do you think things may have been different if we were still in the EU?

No, absolutely not
See my post above. How do you explain the dwindling numbers of foreign nurses and doctors coming in since Brexit was voted on? Coincidence?
Neilos
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
See my replies above. Being in the EU or not isn’t my point. My point is the anti-immigration sentiment which has put off many foreign healthcare professionals meaning we are different a severe shortage in the face of this Covid-19 outbreak.
If it's about this so-called anti-immigrant sentiment or a 'hostile environment', not Brexit itself, why are you aiming your topic at 'Brexiters'?

I was, and am, a Brindifferent, and I disliked both campaigns. There were indeed some racists on the Leave side, as I'm sure you'd agree, contributing to a perception of hostility. But the Remain campaign's deliberate smearing of so many Leave voters as intolerant racists, and continued assertions in areas of the media, and all over social media, that Brexit was in large part due to racism, contributed as much to the perception of increased hostility towards migrants as anything else. Most of the people loudly saying that migrants weren't welcome in Britain were Remainers. That they were doing it while pointing at Leave voters and (either maliciously or stupidly, depending on the individual) adding 'because of them' doesn't absolve them of blame.

Reality says British society is continuing along its trend of becoming more tolerant and is very much on the 'more welcoming' end of the global spectrum, Brexit or no Brexit. If the Remain side has spent more time talking about that reality, and less time using the laziest possible smears ('stupid', 'racist') in an attempt to discredit their opponents without pausing to consider the consequences of those smears, the false idea of Britain being a sea of racists wouldn't exist. Large, organised campaign spends four years implying that a large part of the reason 52% of British voters made the decision they did was racism. What do you think the effect of that would be?

a) Greater perception of Britain as hostile to migrants.
b) No effect.

You can't shove responsibility for creating a phantom of mass British hostility towards migrants onto 'Brexiters' when your side played such an effective part in spawning and maintaining the illusion.
quirky editor
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Never once have I made that claim. Are there or are there not less healthcare professionals coming to the UK because of the hostile environment brought on by brexit? It’s a simple question, just answer it.

See my post above. How do you explain the dwindling numbers of foreign nurses and doctors coming in since Brexit was voted on? Coincidence?
How would having more healthcare workers from Europe create more beds?
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The EU is a very separate issue, esp considering nothing really changes at all until the end of the transition period. It's quite the reach.

If brexit didn't happen, we might've had a different election result I suppose. That would've potentially changed the COVID policies. Then again it might not have. But assuming all else stayed the same, remaining would've changed very little.
Eva.Gregoria
Rep:
?
(Original post by quirky editor)
How would having more healthcare workers from Europe create more beds?
It wouldn’t create more beds but would provide us the much needed task force needed to tackle this crisis. This is why there have been talks to get back retired nurses and doctors and final year medical students are being graduated early so they can join in and help.

Are people deliberately being obtuse or they genuinely can’t see the point I’m trying to make?
quirky editor
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It wouldn’t create more beds but would provide us the much needed task force needed to tackle this crisis. This is why there have been talks to get back retired nurses and doctors and final year medical students are being graduated early so they can join in and help.

Are people deliberately being obtuse or they genuinely can’t see the point I’m trying to make?
Okay Europe provides us with a net benefit of healthcare workers compared to immigrants. Point granted. However we've placed no restriction on doctors and nurses coming here. They simply choose not to. Italy hasn't left the EU, their doctors and nurses can't handle the number of patients. I think this is clutching at straws.

Your first post just came across as arrogant which is why I responded the way I did.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There are several reasons for this, one answer may be uncertainty as the freedom if movement comes to an end, however that's not the only reason and if we are honest unlikely to be the major reason. Other factors could be saltly remainers claiming prejudice where prejudice does not exist or salary paid, housing availability/cost and other living costs all could paint an unwelcoming picture.

Of course there are many other factors, but you are welcome to delude yourself as you sit on your fake moral high ground throne.
Eva.Gregoria
Rep:
?
(Original post by quirky editor)
Okay Europe provides us with a net benefit of healthcare workers compared to immigrants. Point granted. However we've placed no restriction on doctors and nurses coming here. They simply choose not to. Italy hasn't left the EU, their doctors and nurses can't handle the number of patients. I think this is clutching at straws.

Your first post just came across as arrogant which is why I responded the way I did.
No physical restrictions have been placed on European healthcare workers however, there has been a hostile anti-immigration sentiment that has been persistent in the UK since we voted for Brexit. Cases of xenophobia have risen exponentially and many immigrants no longer feel welcome in the UK. You may not have any such sentiments but you can’t deny that immigration was a prime reason for lots of people.

There are several reasons for this, one answer may be uncertainty as the freedom if movement comes to an end, however that's not the only reason and if we are honest unlikely to be the major reason. Other factors could be saltly remainers claiming prejudice where prejudice does not exist or salary paid, housing availability/cost and other living costs all could paint an unwelcoming picture.

Of course there are many other factors, but you are welcome to delude yourself as you sit on your fake moral high ground throne.
Lol talk about clutching at straws, how is it a salty remainers fault for pointing out and shaming prejudice and xenophobia? This has just cemented my view that once we do finally leave, brexiters will still find a way to blame remainers for anything that ails the country. Either that or Hillary Clinton’s emails.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No physical restrictions have been placed on European healthcare workers however, there has been a hostile anti-immigration sentiment that has been persistent in the UK since we voted for Brexit. Cases of xenophobia have risen exponentially and many immigrants no longer feel welcome in the UK. You may not have any such sentiments but you can’t deny that immigration was a prime reason for lots of people.

Lol talk about clutching at straws, how is it a salty remainers fault for pointing out and shaming prejudice and xenophobia? This has just cemented my view that once we do finally leave, brexiters will still find a way to blame remainers for anything that ails the country. Either that or Hillary Clinton’s emails.
Lol irony bell, what's Hillary Clinton's emails got to do with anything?

My point is saltly remainers claiming prejudice where prejudice does not exist, nowhere have I said a hostile environment has been created by remainers for pointing out and shaming genuine prejudice and xenophobia!

Try to keep up :rolleyes:
Eva.Gregoria
Rep:
?
Lol irony bell, what's Hillary Clinton's emails got to do with anything?

My point is saltly remainers claiming prejudice where prejudice does not exist, nowhere have I said a hostile environment has been created by remainers for pointing out and shaming genuine prejudice and xenophobia!

Try to keep up :rolleyes:
It’s called having a sense of humour. You should try it sometime.

Remainers aren’t claiming prejudice where it doesn’t exist, they’re pointing out prejudice to expose and shame them. Not everyone likes to stick their heads in the sand and pretend that everything and everyone is nice and lovely.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s called having a sense of humour. You should try it sometime.

Remainers aren’t claiming prejudice where it doesn’t exist, they’re pointing out prejudice to expose and shame them. Not everyone likes to stick their heads in the sand and pretend that everything and everyone is nice and lovely.
Oh I have a sense of humor, just that's not remotely funny.

I beg to differ, there certainly are some who are claiming prejudice where it doesn’t exist, theres several on this forum. This seems to have stuck a nerve with you, this is just one such reason in a multitude of others whi h come together to form the full picture, you need to open your eyes and see the bigger picture.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.08%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (175)
9.83%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.08%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.88%

Watched Threads