Dawhud1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Please please i need your help and if anybody can help me in this hard time when all face to face contact with uni staff is cancelled!!!!!!

This is my question -

Billy-Jean (60), a French Citizen, lives in Paris, France with her unregistered partner Kevin who is a British Citizen otherwise than by descent.

They have a son, Max who is a French national.

Billy-Jean also has a grown up child Hugo from a previous marriage to Margot (A French Citizen).

Hugo was born and has lived in London since 20th December 1982 but currently holds French Citizenship.

The whole family are concerned that due to the uncertainty of the BREXIT negotiations between the UK and the EU, it may be difficult for them to continue their usual close family relationships travelling between London and Paris without complicated visa arrangements and that Hugo may not be able to continue living in London. To avoid this uncertainty they wish to know if either Max or Hugo might be eligible for British Citizenship by birth.

Advise Billy-Jean on whether Hugo and/Max might be entitled to British Citizenship by virtue of their birth only and if Max’s potential future children would be British Citizens.

The law is just so complicated and if anybody can shed some light on this i will really appreciate it.

Thank you

D
Psych20
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dawhud1995)
Please please i need your help and if anybody can help me in this hard time when all face to face contact with uni staff is cancelled!!!!!!

This is my question -

Billy-Jean (60), a French Citizen, lives in Paris, France with her unregistered partner Kevin who is a British Citizen otherwise than by descent.

They have a son, Max who is a French national.

Billy-Jean also has a grown up child Hugo from a previous marriage to Margot (A French Citizen).

Hugo was born and has lived in London since 20th December 1982 but currently holds French Citizenship.

The whole family are concerned that due to the uncertainty of the BREXIT negotiations between the UK and the EU, it may be difficult for them to continue their usual close family relationships travelling between London and Paris without complicated visa arrangements and that Hugo may not be able to continue living in London. To avoid this uncertainty they wish to know if either Max or Hugo might be eligible for British Citizenship by birth.

Advise Billy-Jean on whether Hugo and/Max might be entitled to British Citizenship by virtue of their birth only and if Max’s potential future children would be British Citizens.

The law is just so complicated and if anybody can shed some light on this i will really appreciate it.

Thank you

D
If your father or mother is british then you gain british citizenship , automatically , or if your mother and father are french and french nationals you also get france citizenship i believe . If you are born in that country you also obtain citizenship automatically i believe . So in the case of hugo he has dual citizenship/nationality . Hugos children if they are born in the uk they will be british , as the childs dad holds a british passport . Max on the other hand will only be eligible for france citizenship . I hope that makes sense!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.49%
England (143)
34.79%
Belgium (31)
7.54%
Germany (41)
9.98%
Spain (10)
2.43%