How to get the Special Support Grant?

Watch
ConfusedStudentQ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ............................
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The special support Grant was stopped, it”s now called the special support element of the Maintenance Loan and can increase your Maintenance Loan by a little bit.

Unfortunately from the top of my head I can’t give you a 100% accurate answer in regards to eligibility as their is a list of acceptable criteria. Receiving PIP and sending evidence of the PIP is acceptable

If you are receiving a Maintenance Loan while studying at the Open University that means you have already sent proof of disability evidence as this is the only way students can receive a Maintenance Loan at the OU, you may have already been awarded the special support element of the loan. I recommend you give SFE a call on 0300 100 0607 or message SFE on Twitter/Facebook so they can check your account.

(Original post by ConfusedStudentQ)
Hi. I receive the Enhanced Daily Living and Enhanced Mobility elements of PIP as well as Universal Credit with LCWRA. And I am studying a degree from home with The Open University.

I have a maintenance loan of around £3300 I can take out (all of which it says the DWP won't count, in any means-tested benefits?) but I haven't since I don't want anymore student-related debt.

But I've just read online about the Special Support Grant, which doesn't need to be repaid? Am I eligible for that? If so how do I go about applying for it?

And are these maintenance loans I've chosen not to take out this year, or last, in fact grants I don't even have to pay back? I'm just quite confused about this whole situation. Appreciate any advice.
ConfusedStudentQ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by murpo)
The special support Grant was stopped, it”s now called the special support element of the Maintenance Loan and can increase your Maintenance Loan by a little bit.

Unfortunately from the top of my head I can’t give you a 100% accurate answer in regards to eligibility as their is a list of acceptable criteria. Receiving PIP and sending evidence of the PIP is acceptable

If you are receiving a Maintenance Loan while studying at the Open University that means you have already sent proof of disability evidence as this is the only way students can receive a Maintenance Loan at the OU, you may have already been awarded the special support element of the loan. I recommend you give SFE a call on 0300 100 0607 or message SFE on Twitter/Facebook so they can check your account.
................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ........................
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ConfusedStudentQ)
I will do that then. Thank you so much for your help. But do you know if that special support element is a loan you have to repay or a grant that you don't?
You do have to repay the special support element. It increases your Maintenance Loan.

I think the special support Grant was stopped the same time as maintenance grants, not 100% sure.

Sorry for typos as I’m on my phone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (213)
33.7%
No (419)
66.3%

Watched Threads