Why do people contradict what they believe in?

Watch
Nobody7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I see it all the time. We all try to act like good people but we are all actually hypocrites. 'Religious' people - the amount of 'Christians' who don't follow what the Bible says, the amount of 'Muslims' that seem to do everything haram (other than eat pork for some reason). The truth is we are all selfish, we all talk **** about each other even when we say it's bad, we don't actually care about anyone's mental health unless it happens to you. We all break the rules.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thanks
periodt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by burnout7)
I see it all the time. We all try to act like good people but we are all actually hypocrites. 'Religious' people - the amount of 'Christians' who don't follow what the Bible says, the amount of 'Muslims' that seem to do everything haram (other than eat pork for some reason). The truth is we are all selfish, we all talk **** about each other even when we say it's bad, we don't actually care about anyone's mental health unless it happens to you. We all break the rules.
That’s human nature for ya.

But I think we should strive to be better and less selfish still.
GeolPhysics
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, I know some Christians who lie and swear even though Christianity tells you not to do that. But they still label themselves as Christians.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GeolPhysics)
Yeah, I know some Christians who lie and swear even though Christianity tells you not to do that. But they still label themselves as Christians.
You make it sound like they're not supposed to at this point?
Nobody7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Napp)
You make it sound like they're not supposed to at this point?
yh word
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by periodt)
That’s human nature for ya.

But I think we should strive to be better and less selfish still.
Well said. Princess Diana once said we should all be kind to each other. That is the best thing anyone has said in my book, and it is so simple, isn't it? xx
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some people admire others who are good, but can't make the effort themselves to be the same. They are weak and have selfish/shallow values.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yh word
Parlez vous anglais?
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
because doing the right thing is often costly, so humans have a struggle between knowing what is 'right' and their own fear of lack. people of faith are not immune to human nature, which is why christians specifically say 'we're all sinners'; hence we're all in the same boat.

i don't talk about anyone behind their back, but i agree with you about the mental health thing. i hope you're doing okay.
chesslover246
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it's because they believe in the core tenets of their religion - e.g. belief in god - and neglecting the rules of that religion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (102)
5.15%
Uncertainty around my education (297)
15%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (210)
10.61%
Lack of purpose or motivation (277)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (86)
4.34%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (112)
5.66%
Loneliness (174)
8.79%
Financial worries (71)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (87)
4.39%
Exposure to negative news/social media (93)
4.7%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.45%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (176)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (187)
9.44%

Watched Threads