The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Economics graduate applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I received my offer for the MPhil in Economics on March 17. I was wondering if anyone heard back about funding decisions / college allocation.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by econ1997
Hello, I received my offer for the MPhil in Economics on March 17. I was wondering if anyone heard back about funding decisions / college allocation.

I was quite persistent in emailing them regarding funding as I have a funded offer elsewhere, and they said the department has not considered me for funding. I haven't heard from colleges yet.
Original post by marekb98
I was quite persistent in emailing them regarding funding as I have a funded offer elsewhere, and they said the department has not considered me for funding. I haven't heard from colleges yet.

Did you apply to Nuffield? :smile:
Did you apply to Nuffield? :smile:

Yep, I did. The grad admissions administrator told me I could still be accepted to Nuffield but without funding. The website of the college says all accepted students get funding, so I'm not sure.
Reply 64
Oxford responded my email yesterday saying that all applicants should be notified by Wednesday. Good luck for everyone who is still waiting (including me : ). It has been an extremely anxious experience for me to sit and wait, no matter what is the final decision, I appreciate the information shared on the thread and wish all the best for everyone.
I received college offer a week ago lol. I didn't choose my college and get assign to Keble. I am pretty satisfied, their accommodation is good.
Reply 66
Did any of you get Nuffield?

I got a mysterious response from the graduate admissions office saying that my “application ... is linked to hertford college”. Haven’t heard anything from hertford though...
Got into Brasenose college. No word on funding yet. Got rejected by Nuffield. Is the college allocation random if you get rejected by college of choice? In addition, did anyone here about funding ?
Original post by econchatt
Got into Brasenose college. No word on funding yet. Got rejected by Nuffield. Is the college allocation random if you get rejected by college of choice? In addition, did anyone here about funding ?

I am unsure about the randomness of the college allocation. I think it may be matched to your interests mentioned on the statement. I haven’t heard back from my college yet... did you get rejected and then they offered you a place elsewhere automatically?
For funding I received this email on April 1:
“It has been brought to my attention that the funding part of your offer letter has been generated incorrectly. Please do not worry, this does not affect the place you were offered on the MPhil Economics Course at the University of Oxford. Please find a corrected version of your offer letter attached with the funding section amended.”
which means that I will not be given any funding.
Hope it helps!

I am unsure about the randomness of the college allocation. I think it may be matched to your interests mentioned on the statement. I haven’t heard back from my college yet... did you get rejected and then they offered you a place elsewhere automatically?
For funding I received this email on April 1:
“It has been brought to my attention that the funding part of your offer letter has been generated incorrectly. Please do not worry, this does not affect the place you were offered on the MPhil Economics Course at the University of Oxford. Please find a corrected version of your offer letter attached with the funding section amended.”
which means that I will not be given any funding.
Hope it helps!

I got an email a few days after being accepted by the uni saying that my application to Nuffield was unsuccessful. A few days after that I got an email from Brasenose college saying that I got a place there. It was not like I was rejected by Nuffield and given a place somewhere else instead at the same time. I asked about funding and they replied that my application has been "nominated" for departmental funding and that they will inform me about their decision soon. Saw a post above where the person said that everyone should have been notified by Wednesday about funding, and I did not get any email so I guess I was unsuccessful to secure funding.

I got an email a few days after being accepted by the uni saying that my application to Nuffield was unsuccessful. A few days after that I got an email from Brasenose college saying that I got a place there. It was not like I was rejected by Nuffield and given a place somewhere else instead at the same time. I asked about funding and they replied that my application has been "nominated" for departmental funding and that they will inform me about their decision soon. Saw a post above where the person said that everyone should have been notified by Wednesday about funding, and I did not get any email so I guess I was unsuccessful to secure funding.

Congrats! I think they are slow in replying because of this unfortunate situation we are experiencing. I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad sign. I am still waiting to hear back from my college :-/

Congratulations for your offer! I was a little bit surprised because I was thinking that Brasenose was a popular choice and hard to get in unless you chose as first-choice. Are you under any special occasion connected to the college? And was it two to three days after the rejection from Nuffield that you got the email from Brasenose? Sorry for asking direct questions...
Original post by POLIs2020
Congratulations for your offer! I was a little bit surprised because I was thinking that Brasenose was a popular choice and hard to get in unless you chose as first-choice. Are you under any special occasion connected to the college? And was it two to three days after the rejection from Nuffield that you got the email from Brasenose? Sorry for asking direct questions...

Nope, not connected to the college in any way. May I ask why Brasenose is a popular choice? I just had a look at when I got my emails. I got rejected by Nuffield on the 30th of March and got accepted to Brasenose on the 1st of April. It wasn't 2 to 3 days it was just the next day.

BTW: Did anyone here apply to Tilburg University? One of my friends applied there but did not hear back yet. Did any of you receive any offers for Tilburg?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 73
Hello people!

I know this thread has been dead for a while. However, if anyone of you is reading this, please reply. So, I applied to Oxford Mphil and MSc Development Econ last year and was rejected. I got into LSE but have reinstated my application because of the pandemic. I am thinking of reapplying to Oxford this year. Below is my profile, please let me know what are my chances:

Undergrad from top Indian college with 8.6 GPA (Not ideal I know but okayish I guess), I had excellent recommendations last year from tutors in college (One of them was an Oxford Mphil Alumna), strong SOP but mediocre GRE(164Q, 156V, 5.0AWA). Right now I am working as an RA at a governmental policy research institute which is Okayish again.

Do you think I have chances?
Reply 74
If your GPA means you're among the top 5% of your cohort then that's probably good enough. However, they do probably expect at least GRE 165Q since they write that explicitly.
Reply 75
Original post by Wastra
If your GPA means you're among the top 5% of your cohort then that's probably good enough. However, they do probably expect at least GRE 165Q since they write that explicitly.

Hey thanks for replying!
Unfortunately, I live in a very remote part of India and retaking the GRE would mean a lot of travelling for me. Is there any way I could possibly improve my chances?
Also, I am probably not among the top 5% of my class. Could be top 15 though. However, I was the state topper in class 12 (did not mention this anywhere though).
Reply 76
Original post by AP21099
Hey thanks for replying!
Unfortunately, I live in a very remote part of India and retaking the GRE would mean a lot of travelling for me. Is there any way I could possibly improve my chances?
Also, I am probably not among the top 5% of my class. Could be top 15 though. However, I was the state topper in class 12 (did not mention this anywhere though).

There are 5 components to the application so if you can't do anything about some then work on the others. Also, there's no need to stress really. It's not uncommon to start a master's as an international student when you're 24 so it might just be worth taking some maths and research assistance/work before applying
Reply 77
Original post by Wastra
There are 5 components to the application so if you can't do anything about some then work on the others. Also, there's no need to stress really. It's not uncommon to start a master's as an international student when you're 24 so it might just be worth taking some maths and research assistance/work before applying

Thanks Wastra! That is really helpful of you!
I think I will work for some time, go to LSE if I get an offer again this year and then maybe work and earn as much as is needed for a Phd at Oxford. I will let my Graduate dream pass for now. Anyway, I seem underqualified for that place. I really don't think that anything I do now is going to increase my chances of getting a place there:frown:
Hi ,I’m an MPhil Econ Applicant for 2021. I submitted my application before the jan 22nd deadline.Does the department give out early offers ?I am getting incredibly anxious 😅. I have received a conditional offer for the Msc Econ program at LSE ( the one year program ), but my first preference is the Oxford MPhil Econ course.This period is wait is more difficult than I though it’d be 😅.
Also,

I have a CGPA of 3.94/4 so far ( batch topper) and have a 330 GRE (167Q and 163 V ; 5 AWA).

My co-curriculars are strong.

How likely am I to get admitted.

A few of my friends told me that Oxford is “elitist” when it comes to admissions. Elitist in the sense that it prefers students from reputed unis only.

Whilst my current uni (NMIMS) is very well reputed in India , I’m don’t think they’re at par with unis like UCL, or even Warwick in UK.

Is this likely an issue ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending