The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham uni

Hello
I’ve got offers from Durham, Newcastle, Exeter and Royal Holloway. My insurance choice is definitely Royal Holloway but I’m confused about my firm. I have visited Newcastle and I loved it. However Durham is a better university. I was thinking about making Durham my firm but now that I have watched student videos on YouTube, I’m reconsidering it. I have heard that there’s a lack of diversity, being Asian and Muslim, I’m worried. I’ve also heard the food is so bad and there is absolutely no variety. “The chicken takes like white brick”. Also, the college system limits you from meeting more people-you are stuck with a group of people that you might not like. Many people have advised me to live in the college accommodation which is catered and I will also have to share my bathroom. I’ve heard worse things about Exeter and don’t like the city either.
In the end, I have to select from Durham and Newcastle. I really liked Durham before watching these videos and was very excited to make it my firm. Btw I’m doing college in central London with almost 80% international students.
Can anyone especially a student from Durham please advise something?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello
I’ve got offers from Durham, Newcastle, Exeter and Royal Holloway. My insurance choice is definitely Royal Holloway but I’m confused about my firm. I have visited Newcastle and I loved it. However Durham is a better university. I was thinking about making Durham my firm but now that I have watched student videos on YouTube, I’m reconsidering it. I have heard that there’s a lack of diversity, being Asian and Muslim, I’m worried. I’ve also heard the food is so bad and there is absolutely no variety. “The chicken takes like white brick”. Also, the college system limits you from meeting more people-you are stuck with a group of people that you might not like. Many people have advised me to live in the college accommodation which is catered and I will also have to share my bathroom. I’ve heard worse things about Exeter and don’t like the city either.
In the end, I have to select from Durham and Newcastle. I really liked Durham before watching these videos and was very excited to make it my firm. Btw I’m doing college in central London with almost 80% international students.
Can anyone especially a student from Durham please advise something?

No one will look down on Newcastle if you go. Durham is of course an excellent uni and it is hard to even get an offer so congrats but if you are personally academic then go there however if it is which you think will look better on a CV then don't even think about it and go to the one you are drawn to on more of a social level. Uni should be where you feel comfortable and not where you think people will respect you more for going to or anything or which will look better on a CV. I personally love Durham but each to their own:smile: Also bad food is not a good reason to be put off by a uni which makes me think (I may be totally wrong haha) that you are trying to justify to yourself why you shouldn't go to Durham but deep down you know it isn't the right place for you and Newcastle is. That probs didn't make sense but basically food shouldn't be a reason to not go to a uni, you can always cook for yourself.

Sorry that was kind of long but basically the little things like food and shared bathrooms shouldnt be enough to put you off a uni so if you are telling yourself those are the reasons then there is probably a deeper feeling behind it. From what you have said I think it sounds like Newcastle is for you but I dk you so I totally understand I am not the person to listen to haha!

Alternatively if you are stuck have you considered making one you firm and the other your insurance instead of Royal Holloway? It sounds like you have already considered this and have made up your mind but just a little suggestion:smile: Good luck!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest