username30893
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have received offers from Barts and Manchester Medicine but currently in a dilemma on which to choose to study. I would like to hear advices and opinions regarding this from your experiences and what you know about them!
Last edited by username30893; 1 week ago
ConnellM
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
First of all, congratulations on getting two offers! That's a huge achievement in itself. I'm a final year at Barts so I can give you a bit of perspective (hopefully). I've really enjoyed my time there - most people are really friendly, the lectures in the first couple of years tend to be very good, it's one of the few medical schools where you're still given the opportunity to do dissection and it's in London, which comes with all the benefits of living there (although it can take some time to adjust to living in a big city - but I imagine Manchester is similar). It is worth being aware that living in London isn't cheap though, and although you get a larger student loan it can still be a little bit difficult financially sometimes.

The admin team is very well-organised and communicative and student support is really good too if you ever run into any issues at medical school (lots of people do). In your 3rd, 4th and 5th years there are a wide range of hospitals that you can get placed at and all of them have been relatively good placements from my experience.

Usually I would recommend visiting both universities on offer holders' days but I guess that probably won't be possible now. Are there any specific questions you'd like answered?
username30893
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ConnellM)
First of all, congratulations on getting two offers! That's a huge achievement in itself. I'm a final year at Barts so I can give you a bit of perspective (hopefully). I've really enjoyed my time there - most people are really friendly, the lectures in the first couple of years tend to be very good, it's one of the few medical schools where you're still given the opportunity to do dissection and it's in London, which comes with all the benefits of living there (although it can take some time to adjust to living in a big city - but I imagine Manchester is similar). It is worth being aware that living in London isn't cheap though, and although you get a larger student loan it can still be a little bit difficult financially sometimes.

The admin team is very well-organised and communicative and student support is really good too if you ever run into any issues at medical school (lots of people do). In your 3rd, 4th and 5th years there are a wide range of hospitals that you can get placed at and all of them have been relatively good placements from my experience.

Usually I would recommend visiting both universities on offer holders' days but I guess that probably won't be possible now. Are there any specific questions you'd like answered?
Thank you for taking the time to give your opinion for it! I would like to ask few questions regarding Barts Medicine.
One of which is regarding the curriculum. With regards to it, how much of the curriculum/timetable is roughly PBL? While it is integrated, is it mostly a lecture-based style of teaching in Barts Medicine?

Secondly, you mentioned about the higher cost of living in London. For yourself personally living in London for 5 years, Would you be able to provide a rough estimate of your living costs (Accommodation etc)?

I'm actually an international applicant, therefore I'm not very clear on the ranking of the medical schools. Are any of these 2 medical schools regarded as 'better' compared to the other in the UK?
ConnellM
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by username30893)
Thank you for taking the time to give your opinion for it! I would like to ask few questions regarding Barts Medicine.
One of which is regarding the curriculum. With regards to it, how much of the curriculum/timetable is roughly PBL? While it is integrated, is it mostly a lecture-based style of teaching in Barts Medicine?

Secondly, you mentioned about the higher cost of living in London. For yourself personally living in London for 5 years, Would you be able to provide a rough estimate of your living costs (Accommodation etc)?

I'm actually an international applicant, therefore I'm not very clear on the ranking of the medical schools. Are any of these 2 medical schools regarded as 'better' compared to the other in the UK?
In your first module you'll do one 2-hour PBL session a week, from then on it's 2 2-hour PBL sessions a week for first and second year, but often they finish early - depends on your facilitator. There are a lot of lectures in first and second year and I'd say they take up most of the time, but it's also broken up by early clinical placements (think it's one day every two weeks), anatomy and physiology and PBLs.

For accommodation, expect to pay somewhere in the range of £500-700/month depending on how centrally you want to live. Groceries are roughly the same price as elsewhere in the country, but eating and drinking out is more expensive - expect to pay upwards of £5/pint. You'll probably end up spending around £1k/month including rent, maybe a little less.

Some people would say that Barts is better because it is higher ranked on many league tables, but often this is just due to the research they produce and doesn't have much of a reflection on the course itself, so I would say just go with the course you like the sound of more - they're both accredited by the GMC and only snobs will care about where you studied. You'll still be a competent doctor, no matter where you go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.58%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
14%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (136)
33.42%

Watched Threads