k4zie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Using the multi-store model, outline how information is transferred from the stm to ltm. (9 marks)

I understand the answer, but I'm not sure how to get it all the way to 9 marks???
studying12345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The multi-store model of memory, proposed by Atkinson and Shifrin, is a representation of how memory works in terms 3 stores: Sensory register, short term memory (STM) and long term memory (LTM). (1 mark)

Stimulus from the environment passes into the sensory register and picked up by stores for each of the five senses. Two main stores are the iconic sensory register, where visual information is coded, and the echoic sensory register, where auditory information is coded acoustically. It has a short duration of less than half a second and high capacity. The key process in this store is attention. This is needed for information to pass into the memory system. (3 marks)

If enough attention has been paid, the information passes into the STM, which is a temporary memory store that codes information acoustically. It has a capacity of 7 +- 2 (between 5 and 9 items), first observed by Miller who noted that things come in sevens e.g. 7 days of week. He also noted people recall 5 words as well as 5 letters. This is done by chunking (grouping sets of digits or letters into units/chunks). The duration of information this store is between 18 and 30 seconds, unless information is rehearsed. Maintenance rehearsal occurs when we repeat material to ourselves over and over again. This allows us to keep information in the STM, and if it's rehearsed long enough, the information passes into the LTM. (4 or 5 marks)

The LTM is a permanent memory store for information that has been rehearsed for a prolonged time. Coding is semantic and it has an unlimited capacity where information and memories are stored up to a lifetime. (1 or 2 marks)

This should get you 9 marks. It doesn't matter how much you put for each store, as long as you have included all 3 stores, how they work and what you need to do at each stage for the information to pass to the next store (attention and maintenance rehearsal). As you can see, I put less for LTM as I had a lot for STM. It doesn't matter since the STM would gain more marks. I'd suggest putting a definition at the beginning as it just helps get in the zone of the question (although if you're running out of time in the exam, best not to). For each store, it's good to aim for 3 marks for each, which would total to 9 marks. So 3 points for each store would suffice.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Also this may seem like a lot and it might be a little. Depends how fast you write in the exam and how much you know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.56%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
10.94%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (37)
11.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (46)
14.38%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.31%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (31)
9.69%
Financial worries (22)
6.88%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (14)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
5.94%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
7.5%

Watched Threads