would you want to have your organs donated without your consent?

Watch
zzzsssss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
the nhs have made a new law that if a person dies they are allowed to legally use his organs for research or donation without asking the patient is this morally correct???
Anonnorth
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by zzzsssss)
the nhs have made a new law that if a person dies they are allowed to legally use his organs for research or donation without asking the patient is this morally correct???
Yes, as far as I am concerned they can have anything at all of use if it helps someone else live.
I wonder if those that dont would refuse a transplant for themselves or their close family if it was needed?
Jadelrx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I thought you were automatically opted in and then a letter was sent that if you do not want your organs donated then you would have to opt out (which is what I did a while ago).
SnowMiku
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I've opted out, although Under 18s are technically still exempt (I think?) from the auto-opt in. Will have to check that though.
My body, in my opinion, is my body and I fear that if I did allow them to take my organs after death without consent, there's the possibility of me being killed just to harvest those, and nobody would know.
For those who are cool with it or have family members/friends who did, I have a massive amount of respect for you.
goggleyed
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
nah it should still be our decision.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yep. It should be opt out rather than opt in and there should be a *real* reason why you don't want to :yes:
β0b
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
answer to the title: no, I'm using them
answer to description:sure why not? I wouldn't mind someone taking my organs while I'm dead
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SnowMiku)
I've opted out, although Under 18s are technically still exempt (I think?) from the auto-opt in. Will have to check that though.
My body, in my opinion, is my body and I fear that if I did allow them to take my organs after death without consent, there's the possibility of me being killed just to harvest those, and nobody would know.
For those who are cool with it or have family members/friends who did, I have a massive amount of respect for you.
Would you accept an organ donation if you needed it? I would assume not?
Greywolftwo
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How are they going to ask the person if they are dead?
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There's been so many announcements, posters, and a big period of time before it coming into effect for people to opt out if they want. It's not without their consent. I think family members can technically say no (even if the person does want to donate them), hence needing that conversation with family to respect their view on it.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
in my opinion no.

but i've opted out now anyway and so has my family so I'm not as bothered about it as I was before.
Treetop321
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
There's been so many announcements, posters, and a big period of time before it coming into effect for people to opt out if they want. It's not without their consent. I think family members can technically say no (even if the person does want to donate them), hence needing that conversation with family to respect their view on it.
I've only seen a TV advert about this a few times. People could easily miss there being an opt-out system.
AnonymousNoMore
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In my opinion, if you opt out you shouldn't be allowed to have a stranger donate you an organ. Just fairness
Karisa96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No I definitely would not.
username5218412
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonnorth)
I wonder if those that dont would refuse a transplant for themselves or their close family if it was needed?
I would opt out. I believe this is a form of corrupt spiritual intimacy. Your organs belong to you and your physical body is spiritually attached to your soul through them. Why I would give a part of me to someone else or have a part of them live in me goes beyond my imagination.
Pharyngotympanic
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes. I would willingly accept an organ if needed, so I would gladly let my organs go to whoever needs them if I no longer need them.
username5218412
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Imagine my heart beating in someone else's chest. Yikes!
mariachi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
would you want to have your organs donated without your consent?

yes : but only after I die
AnonymousNoMore
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by orpheuswolfgang9)
I would opt out. I believe this is a form of corrupt spiritual intimacy. Your organs belong to you and your physical body is spiritually attached to your soul through them. Why I would give a part of me to someone else or have a part of them live in me goes beyond my imagination.
Maybe to live on, say you needed a lung, you wouldn't accept it? If the other option was death.
6ix9ine4life
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Why would I care? I’m dead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (306)
34.27%
No (587)
65.73%

Watched Threads