The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

What is Exeter uni like for foreigners?

Hi, I’m in Year 12 and I was supposed to be looking at unis and open days properly this summer but I’m guessing they will all be cancelled because of the coronavirus outbreak.

I want to apply to Cambridge but I’m accepting the fact that I probably won’t get in, so Exeter would be my next choice. I would be studying English and apparently their department is quite good, but I’m just worried as I’ve heard so many stories of racism and just generally feeling out of place if you’re not white/upper class/ rich.
I’m Polish and even though I’ve lived in the UK all my life I know that the south west region supports Brexit and is strongly Tory. I’m white but I wouldn’t want to feel like I have to lie about where I’m from or change my behaviour to fit in as I’m definitely not upper class. I was strongly considering Exeter as the uni I would want to attend when I don’t get into Cambridge but now I’m not so sure.

If there are particularly any EU students that attend Exeter then any of your experiences/opinions would definitely help! Thanks!
Original post by a.gulietta
Hi, I’m in Year 12 and I was supposed to be looking at unis and open days properly this summer but I’m guessing they will all be cancelled because of the coronavirus outbreak.

I want to apply to Cambridge but I’m accepting the fact that I probably won’t get in, so Exeter would be my next choice. I would be studying English and apparently their department is quite good, but I’m just worried as I’ve heard so many stories of racism and just generally feeling out of place if you’re not white/upper class/ rich.
I’m Polish and even though I’ve lived in the UK all my life I know that the south west region supports Brexit and is strongly Tory. I’m white but I wouldn’t want to feel like I have to lie about where I’m from or change my behaviour to fit in as I’m definitely not upper class. I was strongly considering Exeter as the uni I would want to attend when I don’t get into Cambridge but now I’m not so sure.

If there are particularly any EU students that attend Exeter then any of your experiences/opinions would definitely help! Thanks!

Hi a.gulietta. This is very obviously an extremely personal question and different students will have different experiences. As I am not a student I will leave it to others to give their perspective, however, there are a couple of things in your post that I can address. Firstly, the University itself has a very strong anti-racism stance and strives to support a culture of tolerance and respect. Whilst there have been incidences, I strongly believe from listening to students, that the people responsible are in a tiny minority and not representative of (or tolerated by) the larger student body at Exeter.
You are right that the South West is not as diverse as some regions in the UK. However, Exeter city itself, as with a large number of University cities, is very outward looking, with strong European and international connections, communities and shopping.
On-campus we have an active Polish community and perhaps a good place to follow up on your questions is to contact them directly: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1786728974874584/
or email [url= [email protected]][email protected]
I hope that this helps a bit and that you are able to find the information you need from the contacts above and that we see you in Exeter soon.
Karen
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Hi a.gulietta. This is very obviously an extremely personal question and different students will have different experiences. As I am not a student I will leave it to others to give their perspective, however, there are a couple of things in your post that I can address. Firstly, the University itself has a very strong anti-racism stance and strives to support a culture of tolerance and respect. Whilst there have been incidences, I strongly believe from listening to students, that the people responsible are in a tiny minority and not representative of (or tolerated by) the larger student body at Exeter.
You are right that the South West is not as diverse as some regions in the UK. However, Exeter city itself, as with a large number of University cities, is very outward looking, with strong European and international connections, communities and shopping.
On-campus we have an active Polish community and perhaps a good place to follow up on your questions is to contact them directly: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1786728974874584/
or email [url= [email protected]"][email protected]][email protected]

I hope that this helps a bit and that you are able to find the information you need from the contacts above and that we see you in Exeter soon.
Karen
Thank you that’s definitely reassuring! Do you know if the Exeter open days will still be going ahead this year?
Original post by a.gulietta
Thank you that’s definitely reassuring! Do you know if the Exeter open days will still be going ahead this year?

Hi a.gulietta,

Our May Open Days will not take place on campus either in Devon or in Cornwall but we are organising alternative opportunities for you to visit us in person at a later date. We are also planning a series of live online events for you to experience all that we have to offer and help you make informed decisions about studying with the University of Exeter.

In the meantime, please sign up for our Open Days as usual via our Visit Us web pages to record your interest and give us your contact details so we can keep you informed of the latest position.

Whatever happens over the next few months, we will do our very best to make sure you have the information you need and to answer your questions about studying with us.

Do let me know if you have any further questions that I can help with!

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending