Should i learn the violin?

Watch
MartinisSkip
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have absolutely no musical knowledge whatsoever. Nothing. I've always loved the violin, though, and when I hear soundtracks with it in TV shows, I always think it would be so amazing to be able to do it. But with my non existent knowledge and the fact that I can't really get a teacher right now, I'm not sure whether it's something I should pursue.

I don't know whether it's just something I like to listen to, but would be pointless for me to do myself.
elssssssssa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MartinisSkip)
I have absolutely no musical knowledge whatsoever. Nothing. I've always loved the violin, though, and when I hear soundtracks with it in TV shows, I always think it would be so amazing to be able to do it. But with my non existent knowledge and the fact that I can't really get a teacher right now, I'm not sure whether it's something I should pursue.

I don't know whether it's just something I like to listen to, but would be pointless for me to do myself.
It is a personal decision, I always loved the idea of playing violin and I am currently doing my Grade 8 but tbh it is probably less useful than something like the piano or even like guitar. Sometimes hard pieces sound easy so not very impressive but super hard to play and also bear in mind majority of music soundtracks are made up of orchestras or string ensembles which produce a very different effect to a soloist.

If you like the idea of it but are worried that you have no musical knowledge honetstly do not worry, everyone has to start somewhere, people aren't expected to sit GCSE maths without having had any lessons if you know what I mean? SO don't let the fact you have no musical knowledge put you off at all, teachers honestly won't mid because as harsh as it sounds most violin teachers teach violin as a full time job so if you are paying them, they will never say no haha that sounds so cynical but it is true. You are paying them to teach you and if you had masses of musical knowledge already then they would be out of a job so they are more grateful than anything else!

Good luck in choosing!
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
very few people start out with musical knowledge
MartinisSkip
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by elssssssssa)
It is a personal decision, I always loved the idea of playing violin and I am currently doing my Grade 8 but tbh it is probably less useful than something like the piano or even like guitar. Sometimes hard pieces sound easy so not very impressive but super hard to play and also bear in mind majority of music soundtracks are made up of orchestras or string ensembles which produce a very different effect to a soloist.

If you like the idea of it but are worried that you have no musical knowledge honetstly do not worry, everyone has to start somewhere, people aren't expected to sit GCSE maths without having had any lessons if you know what I mean? SO don't let the fact you have no musical knowledge put you off at all, teachers honestly won't mid because as harsh as it sounds most violin teachers teach violin as a full time job so if you are paying them, they will never say no haha that sounds so cynical but it is true. You are paying them to teach you and if you had masses of musical knowledge already then they would be out of a job so they are more grateful than anything else!

Good luck in choosing!
How long did it take you to be good at it? I'd just be happy with moderately okay because I'm shockingly bad at most things!

But I think you're right that I shouldn't let my lack of knowledge hold me back, and since this whole isolation thing is going on there's really nothing holding me back learning it.
Thank you!
bluemuffin
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would say go for it! I’m going to start learning guitar from scratch, and yes I have a bit of prior music knowledge, but I don’t see this as a reason to hold you back as everyone is a beginner at some stage. If you think about it you’ll probably never have more time than now so why not try it and see what happens! Good luck let me know how it goes
jamiecjx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would say it starts out difficult at the beginning, but the longer you learn, the more confidence you will have at playing whatever instrument (I'm a pianist, but have also learnt violin)

Definitely worth it by a mile and a half, go for it!
elssssssssa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MartinisSkip)
How long did it take you to be good at it? I'd just be happy with moderately okay because I'm shockingly bad at most things!

But I think you're right that I shouldn't let my lack of knowledge hold me back, and since this whole isolation thing is going on there's really nothing holding me back learning it.
Thank you!
It took me a few year to get good but that was because I did absolutely no practice in-between lessons! If you practice once or twice a week you could get moderately good very quickly I would say
JohnMiller711
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I have about 1 and a half years of violin experience but learning running in the 90s sounded pretty dope put some drums merge mm sounds good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (306)
34.27%
No (587)
65.73%

Watched Threads