Kribs
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I want to apply for Law next year at Uni. I’ve been struggling to think of an idea for my EPQ topic because many of my ideas overlap with my subjects that I take. Therefore, every time I suggest something to my EPQ teacher she just rejects it and I haven’t been able to start.

I’m studying Alevels psychology, Sociology and Business.

I would appreciate if anyone could help
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
hayzc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You just have to avoid overlapping your EPQ with your course content, so I would highly recommend going through the syllabus for each of your subjects and double-checking the topics that you cannot do.

First of all, just try to generate as many ideas as possible, and list them down somewhere (it doesn't matter if it doesn't directly link to Law, or if you think that it's not a 'good' idea, just list it). During this process, think about what interests you: what have you always wanted to find out or know more about? If you really cannot think of any ideas, watch a few lectures on YouTube about Law, or read a few books. (I would recommend 'What About Law?' or 'Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do?', or just find books on the reading lists for Law prospective applicants) Alternatively, go on the university websites, and look at course modules; see what interests you, what you can look into.

Examples off the top of my head include:
- Corporate Law (examining the ethics of business?)
- Use of regulations and their effects on the marginalised sectors of society (though this might veer into more of Economics and Politics)
- Jurisprudence in relation to society (I've read a journal article about liberalism and abortion, so that might be interesting, but maybe choose a topic instead of abortion that's slightly less controversial)

Personally, my EPQ was about 'To what extent did Mao Zedong contribute to the creation of Modern China from 1966 onwards?' (which at first glance appears to be extremely History focused; I took History, Economics, and English Literature at A-Level). Within my personal statement, I talked about law and oppression being a primary factor after my research, and the EPQ was not a significant part of my personal statement. (I received offers from Leeds, Sheffield, and York thus far) Honestly, I would recommend that you undertake a research question that you can write a 5,000 word essay in response to, as it would show and help consolidate your writing skills for long projects such as this. You don't have to absolutely love your EPQ question, but I would highly recommend trying to start and complete it as soon as possible so that you have time for your other commitments. I hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
57.17%
I don't have everything I need (191)
42.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise