Does mental illness count as a disability?

Watch
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
I think this shows that you need to do a bit more research on mental health. Some people do live with treatment resistant depression for the majority of their life,
Exactly, plus there is a difference between high and low functioning. Some people with autism might be able to live life totally normally because they are high functioning yet someone could be low functioning with depression and struggle to get out of bed.
Depression is also not the only mental illness and can often be long term (chronic). Personality disorders, eating disorders etc can very often be life long.
Thankfully the law does not take a narrow minded approach to this which means people with mental illnesses can access disability support and rightly so.
Anonymous #1
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Exactly, plus there is a difference between high and low functioning. Some people with autism might be able to live life totally normally because they are high functioning yet someone could be low functioning with depression and struggle to get out of bed.
Depression is also not the only mental illness and can often be long term (chronic). Personality disorders, eating disorders etc can very often be life long.
Thankfully the law does not take a narrow minded approach to this which means people with mental illnesses can access disability support and rightly so.
The law does not walk in the light of the truth. Some people have more importance than others.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The law does not walk in the light of the truth. Some people have more importance than others.
People with mental disabilities are just as important as those with physical disabilities Mental illness is truly horrific at times and i would encourage researching it properly before trying to diminish people's experiences as not as bad as X disability.
AnonymousNoMore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
People with mental disabilities are just as important as those with physical disabilities Mental illness is truly horrific at times and i would encourage researching it properly before trying to diminish people's experiences as not as bad as X disability.
As someone with schizophrenia, I can tell you that someone of my exact intellect, ability and capacitance in all senses but without schizophrenia has more value. So yes some people just are more valuable then others, especially to society.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by AnonymousNoMore)
As someone with schizophrenia, I can tell you that someone of my exact intellect, ability and capacitance in all senses but without schizophrenia has more value. So yes some people just are more valuable then others, especially to society.
Sorry you feel that way, with or without BPD i am just as valuable to society.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm afraid you're not, you unfortunately, as do I., posses a negative trait and so removing that trait would make you more valuable.
Harsh truth, but that's reality
please explain this 'negative trait' that makes you less valuable to society
AnonymousNoMore
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
please explain this 'negative trait' that makes you less valuable to society
I have schizophrenia
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I have schizophrenia
yes so do I but I am no more or less valuable than someone with a different disability or mental health condition or someone without either
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm afraid you're not, you unfortunately, as do I., posses a negative trait and so removing that trait would make you more valuable.
Harsh truth, but that's reality
My value is not determined by my mental neurodiversity. It is one thing if you want to take that stand point for yourself but please don't project your own views onto how others define themselves.
AnonymousNoMore
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
My value is not determined by my mental neurodiversity. It is one thing if you want to take that stand point for yourself but please don't project your own views onto how others define themselves.
No you're value is not determined by your neuro diversity but it is impacted by it.
Sorry if you were hurt by anything I said, was not my intention.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm afraid we are, someone with a less impactful negative trait and exactly the same other attributes would be more valuable.
Harsh reality my friend.
valuable in what sense?
AnonymousNoMore
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
valuable in what sense?
Well value in the value you provide to society as in what you can provide and help achieve.
Anonymous #1
Report 5 days ago
by your logic, someone who is not blind is equally as important as a person who is blind? the visually impaired deserve more care and assistance, henceforth they are more important than the other. it is what it is.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Are you sure you were not meant to say low functioning?
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
by your logic, someone who is not blind is equally as important as a person who is blind? the visually impaired deserve more care and assistance, henceforth they are more important than the other. it is what it is.
What i actually said is that mental and physical disabilities are just as important as each other and deserve the same level of support It is not a matter of being more important, everyone able bodied and not are equals. Some people, including those with mental disabilities just need extra support to get on a level footing with the rest of society when it comes to certain tasks, that doesn't make them more or less important than those with no disabilities.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
No

Living life normally = high functioning
Living life significantly impaired = low functioning
username4913556
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
according to verywellhealth:
Low functioning people generally look and sound very different from their typical peers. In other words, their disability is more visually and aurally obvious to the casual observer. High functioning people are more likely to appear typical (until some event or conversation makes their autism more obvious).

so the person is correct in what they meant.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
Sorry you feel that way, with or without BPD i am just as valuable to society.
How can you compare BPD with schizophrenia though? I don't understand this would make anyone feel better.
The beauty of BPD is that it never causes you to loose capacity. Unfortunately that's not the case for schizophrenia.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
How can you compare BPD with schizophrenia though? I don't understand this would make anyone feel better.
The beauty of BPD is that it never causes you to loose capacity. Unfortunately that's not the case for schizophrenia.
I wasn't comparing i was giving my own experience and view point
BPD is not beautiful in any capacity, it can be incredibly destructive to someone's life and relationships and can cause them to become manic and lose mental capacity.
People with mental and physical disabilities should not be batting off against each other and trying to one up one another, doing that achieves nothing. It is far more productive to support one another.
bfm.mcdermott
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by rahmaso)
urm no, how can you consider depression to be in the same category as down syndrome, autism etc. depression is a mental illness not a disability tf
(Original post by rahmaso)
that is minimising the effect that disabilities like down’s syndrome, autism and blindness have. you can always get better from depression with the right help,
As someone with mental illnesses, physical disabilities and Autism, I disagree.
Mental illnesses can definitely be disabilities, and are sometimes considerably 'worse' to live with than other, physical, disabilities, although of course that depends on the person and the severity of their conditions.

Yes, some people have mild or relatively short periods of mental illness, and this might not be seen as a disability, but some people will struggle with very severe mental health problems for their entire life. You can't group everyone with mental illnesses into one category.

Mental illnesses can be legally seen as a disability ('a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities') and are covered by things such as DSA, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (84)
62.22%
No (51)
37.78%

Watched Threads