The Student Room Group

Mechanical engineering Bath or Southampton

Hi,

I’ve received offers from both Bath and Southampton to study mechanical engineering however, I am really stuck on which one to go to. I like both of the uni’s as I have visited them both.

However, I would like to get some people’s opinions on the current courses at the universities because the Bath course seems to be less exciting than the Southampton course and also seems to have more manufacturing which I don’t really like.

So, is it possible if anyone could give me some help on deciding which uni to go to based off their experiences of the course and course content?

Many Thanks
Reply 1
Hi,

I’ve received offers from both Bath and Southampton to study mechanical engineering however, I am really stuck on which one to go to. I like both of the uni’s as I have visited them both.

However, I would like to get some people’s opinions on the current courses at the universities because the Bath course seems to be less exciting than the Southampton course and also seems to have more manufacturing which I don’t really like.

So, is it possible if anyone could give me some help on deciding which uni to go to based off their experiences of the course and course content?

Many Thanks
Reply 2
Hi,

Many Thanks
Original post by Jack.S987
x

Hi there :smile:
Popped your threads in the most relevant forum so you get more responses!
Please do bump this thread instead of making new ones :fyi:
Best wishes,
Cheese :bump:
Hi,

Many Thanks

Hi,
Mechanical engineering at most unis tends to be fairly similar for the first 2 years across the country and what uni you go to influences more 3rd/4th years (where you'll have more optional modules).

If you have a specific industry you want to work in, then perhaps its worth considering as this can have minor influence on how the teaching is applied to the real world.

I would just pick the City/Uni combo you prefer tho, the courses will focus on thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, stress and solids, dynamics, design, all mech engineering degrees do, its inherent to the degree.
Reply 5
They both are excellent courses with strong reputations in engineering. Which course appeals to you most ?
Where would you prefer to live ?
Which industry do you want to go in after graduating ?
What are the typical careers graduates go into from each university ?
What percentage of students get 1st or 2:1 ?
Which course do you really want to do and will enjoy most ?
Ask yourself these questions and it will help.

I went to Bath Admissions day and really liked the staff I met, decent course structure, good career prospects, good facilities. Bath is well respected in engineering. Southampton is well respected in engineering too especially for research. They are both great for engineering.
Reply 6
Hi,

Many Thanks

Hi Jack,

I'm just finishing my Aerospace degree at Bath. Aero here is a part of the Mech Eng course for the first two years, so I can give you some advice on that. I also held an offer for Southampton, and like you, there were certain parts of each course I wasn't a fan of. In reality, the course content will likely be extremely similar, just maybe more emphasis on certain parts at each uni. It will be hard to tell the too apart. So I was mainly looking at the factors surrounding the course.

I don't remember Southampton that well, but what won me over for Bath was:

- Campus University: Lectures, accommodation, sports facilities, shops, entertainment all within a 5-10 minute walk. Southampton's facilities are quite spread out if I remember rightly, you'd need to get transport between them.
- Placement and Graduate prospects: Bath has some of the best industry links around. Lots of Mech Eng students do a placement year - there is a serious amount of support available from the department to get you a placement which, naturally put you in a very good position for graduate recruitment.
- Projects: If the course doesn't look that exciting to you, keep in mind the breadth of projects which are available at the department (most of these are extra-curricular for the first two years, but can then count towards your degree in years 3 and 4). Aside from the classic Formula Student team, we have an electric FS team, Drone team, Rocket team, Submarine team, Eco Marathon team and an Electric Motorcycle team. Super fun projects to be involved with and they are great to set you up for a career in a similar industry.

Hope this helps. Let me know anything else I can help with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending