The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Essex

Hey everyoneeee :smile: I hope you are all doing well and you are not entirely freaking out.
I applied to Essex to study Politics and IR their offer is BBB or CCC if i make them my firm choice.
What is your opinion on the uni ? What are you applying for ? What made you apply there in the first place ?
Reply 1
Hi i've firmed essex for next year and think its a really good uni. I've applied for sociology and originally looked around due to it being not to far but not too close to home as well as being very good at research and for my course. Did u get a chance to look around before they cancelled the open days?
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Kl7391
Hi i've firmed essex for next year and think its a really good uni. I've applied for sociology and originally looked around due to it being not to far but not too close to home as well as being very good at research and for my course. Did u get a chance to look around before they cancelled the open days?

no unfortunately i did not have the time , i was hoping to go now during the Easter break but obviously now i cannot do that. I have a few friends that go there to study business and hospitality. I think what is discouraging me from Essex is that they do not have the prestige some of my other unis have so maybe the graduate prospect is not as high. The accommodation and campus though look sooo lovely and I have heard the community is really close together.
Reply 3
Original post by kalina17
no unfortunately i did not have the time , i was hoping to go now during the Easter break but obviously now i cannot do that. I have a few friends that go there to study business and hospitality. I think what is discouraging me from Essex is that they do not have the prestige some of my other unis have so maybe the graduate prospect is not as high. The accommodation and campus though look sooo lovely and I have heard the community is really close together.

It is a really nice campus, i wouldn't worry about how prestige it is. If you think you will enjoy studying their that's what matters otherwise you'll be unhappy for three years or longer. Have u looked at the course content, that helps a lot as you can see what modules etc u will be learning?
Reply 4
Original post by Kl7391
It is a really nice campus, i wouldn't worry about how prestige it is. If you think you will enjoy studying their that's what matters otherwise you'll be unhappy for three years or longer. Have u looked at the course content, that helps a lot as you can see what modules etc u will be learning?

Yeah the course content is the most diverse in essex. Which other unis did you apply for ? what made you pick essex ?
Reply 5
Original post by kalina17
Yeah the course content is the most diverse in essex. Which other unis did you apply for ? what made you pick essex ?

I applied for Lincoln, Westminster and Anglia Ruskin all for different reasons. I choose essex as it seemed very diverse and very welcoming when i went. I could imagine myself studying and living there. I also live only 40 mins away so i can come home to work if i need the money as my job said they would let me.
Reply 6
Original post by Kl7391
I applied for Lincoln, Westminster and Anglia Ruskin all for different reasons. I choose essex as it seemed very diverse and very welcoming when i went. I could imagine myself studying and living there. I also live only 40 mins away so i can come home to work if i need the money as my job said they would let me.

okay thats lovely then :smile: I am sure you will have a great time in Essex. Hopefully i will get to meet you if i go there too
Hiii, I’ll be studying Politics and International Relations at Essex! Did you attend the interview? I found that the Pol+ IR course had the most interesting modules out of all the universities I looked at.
Although the university as a whole might not be as prestigious as the top 10 universities in the country, Essex is really well known for Politics and IR. This course is looked up upon across the uk.
Original post by Anonymous
Although the university as a whole might not be as prestigious as the top 10 universities in the country, Essex is really well known for Politics and IR. This course is looked up upon across the uk.

The course rates well globally too!
Yes!! 29th in the world and 6th in the UK according to QS World University Rankings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending