mqb2766
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by As.1997)
Oh I see what you mean. We know the 5000 people are middle aged and elderly but it says those that had moderate to high levels of activity lived 1.4 to 3.6 years longer.

From this we can’t determine whether middle aged people actually took part in the study. It’s possible that they could have but we can’t be certain. Therefore, to say “moderate to high levels of activity in middle aged people can add years”, is not something we can deduce.
Nearly, I think it's to do with the level of activity. The "exercising more" is not supported by the text. Middle aged people who exercised regularly lived longer than people who didn't. It doesn't say that exercising more in/after middle age will add years.
As.1997
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mqb2766)
Nearly, I think it's to do with the level of activity. The "exercising more" is not supported by the text. Middle aged people who exercised regularly lived longer than people who didn't. It doesn't say that exercising more in/after middle age will add years.
Ahh okay 👌🏻
But would you not agree that the passage doesn’t tell us if the middle aged people actually did any moderate to high levels of activity? Because in that 5000 it could have just been the elderly that took part.
mqb2766
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by As.1997)
Ahh okay 👌🏻
But would you not agree that the passage doesn’t tell us if the middle aged people actually did any moderate to high levels of activity? Because in that 5000 it could have just been the elderly that took part.
I think that's valid as well. There must have been some.Middle aged people who took part, but it says nothing specific about their exercise levels, which is the focus of the question.
As.1997
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mqb2766)
I think that's valid as well. There must have been some.Middle aged people who took part, but it says nothing specific about their exercise levels, which is the focus of the question.
That makes sense. It seems there are many flaws for that statement. Thanks a lot 🙏
Last edited by As.1997; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (270)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (274)
15.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
9.99%
Isolating with family (122)
7.01%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (78)
4.48%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (145)
8.33%
Loneliness (172)
9.88%
Financial worries (69)
3.96%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (159)
9.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (124)
7.12%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (154)
8.85%

Watched Threads