The Student Room Group

No idea how to do coursework and no one to ask

In the larger scale of things, this is a relatively small issue but this coursework counts for 10% of my module grade. It's a really complex piece with concepts based on an experiment that we did that I have no understanding of. I'm naturally very, very dense so I can't understand things easily and looking at the instructions, I am at a complete loss.
I don't know anyone in my lectures (that's a whole other issue) so I don't have anyone to ask. I'd rather not ask my professor as he has tried to put out many things to help us (online tutorials, notes etc) which I'm embarrassed to admit, I STILL don't understand and I don't want to look like an idiot by asking him. The issue is, I don't understand even the basic concepts. We had a webinar with him last week where we could ask him questions and everyone else in my year were asking him very complex questions about things very far into the coursework.
And I'm over here not even sure what the experiment was about, let alone the calculations, scales, etc.
What should I do? Every time I sit down to try and wrap my head around it, I give up because I just cannot grasp the basics.
Reply 1
Also because of the corona situation it's basically impossible for me to find physical help as my campus is essentially a ghost town. I have no clue who I'd ask anyway
It's ok to ask for help if you don't understand, just email your tutor. It's nothing to be embarrassed about, there may be others on your course in the same situation who may have already asked for help and there must have been students in the past.
Original post by Anonymous
In the larger scale of things, this is a relatively small issue but this coursework counts for 10% of my module grade. It's a really complex piece with concepts based on an experiment that we did that I have no understanding of. I'm naturally very, very dense so I can't understand things easily and looking at the instructions, I am at a complete loss.
I don't know anyone in my lectures (that's a whole other issue) so I don't have anyone to ask. I'd rather not ask my professor as he has tried to put out many things to help us (online tutorials, notes etc) which I'm embarrassed to admit, I STILL don't understand and I don't want to look like an idiot by asking him. The issue is, I don't understand even the basic concepts. We had a webinar with him last week where we could ask him questions and everyone else in my year were asking him very complex questions about things very far into the coursework.
And I'm over here not even sure what the experiment was about, let alone the calculations, scales, etc.
What should I do? Every time I sit down to try and wrap my head around it, I give up because I just cannot grasp the basics.

What is the subject?
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
What is the subject?

Biology, genomics/pcr stuff
Biology, genomics/pcr stuff

What, running gels, blots, ELISAs...that sort of thing?
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
What, running gels, blots, ELISAs...that sort of thing?

Sort of, basically we had to use pcr and some genomics website to identify gene deletions in fungus.. no idea even.
Sort of, basically we had to use pcr and some genomics website to identify gene deletions in fungus.. no idea even.

Have you tried going back to basics to get the hang of DNA amplification via PCR and how that can then be used in genomics? Good books are 'The Cell' by Alberts and 'Introduction to Genetic Analysis' for techniques and genomics. I feel that this might perhaps give you a way into understanding the theory behind what the question is about.

Quick Reply

Latest