The Student Room Group

Weird A level combination?

I have been planning on taking Biology, Geography and Drama A levels.However, many people have said to me that this is an odd combination of subjects that won't get me very far. I understand that the combination is unusual, but will it hinder my progress to university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DaisyOC
I have been planning on taking Biology, Geography and Drama A levels.However, many people have said to me that this is an odd combination of subjects that won't get me very far. I understand that the combination is unusual, but will it hinder my progress to university?

I reckon three completely different might
um you might want to drop one subject and pick one closer to the remaining two
Original post by PenicillinAB
I reckon three completely different might
um you might want to drop one subject and pick one closer to the remaining two

Potentially dropping drama and picking a science subject if you feel more into science or history/economics/politics if you prefer that
If you feel more into arts and drama then probably drop biology and pick up English literature
What uni course do you want to do? Look at its requirements. Many courses don't actually require many specific A levels i.e Law only requires an essay subject. This may change based on the university though like Computer Science at some unis might not need maths while at others it will. Some subjects are preferred though like Further Maths for Computing/Physics so you might like to pick in line with these.
Reply 4
Potentially dropping drama and picking a science subject if you feel more into science or history/economics/politics if you prefer that
If you feel more into arts and drama then probably drop biology and pick up English literature

yeah I was originally going to take chemistry instead of drama-thank you for your advice.
Reply 5
Original post by peaerhead7997
What uni course do you want to do? Look at its requirements. Many courses don't actually require many specific A levels i.e Law only requires an essay subject. This may change based on the university though like Computer Science at some unis might not need maths while at others it will. Some subjects are preferred though like Further Maths for Computing/Physics so you might like to pick in line with these.

I may want to do law! However, I don't want to restrict my choices.
Original post by DaisyOC

I think there's a list of subjects which give more options. I can't find it on the usual site but this has the same info: https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/a-level-subject-combinations/

Read only the top bit about facilitating subjects; they're usually the subjects which allow you to do more degrees. Ignore the list below because that's the requirements at Trinity Cambridge and they're quite picky about what subjects you should do.
if it matches the requirements for your uni course then it doesnt matter if it looks funky
Original post by kurro
if it matches the requirements for your uni course then it doesnt matter if it looks funky

However that requires you to know what uni course you want to study which 2 years prior can be hard. Best to pick at least some subjects which are close enough to one another and maximises the variety of courses you can do

You dont need an essay subject for Law - anything is fine
Ha dw there you dont have a weird A level combination you have a unique taste in subjects . I do 3 odd subjects myself too : Chemistry, Philosophy and Spanish yet I am still able to do a Chemistry degree and truss me the subjects you do will not hinder your progress :smile:
Original post by PetitePanda
You dont need an essay subject for Law - anything is fine

Oh I didn't know that oops, I thought one of the law students I knew told me that.
Reply 12
Original post by lloydmynumber
Ha dw there you dont have a weird A level combination you have a unique taste in subjects . I do 3 odd subjects myself too : Chemistry, Philosophy and Spanish yet I am still able to do a Chemistry degree and truss me the subjects you do will not hinder your progress :smile:

I did Chemistry, Philosophy and English Literature. It was a great combination :smile:
I am doing physics Art And math
Any social science courses like law is fine. Any art and design courses is fine. Also, Accounting, business, marketing, finance, Childhood studies, drama, media, nursing, geography, occupational therapy, orthoptics, planning, speech therapy, social policy. For science courses, biology, environmental studies, Geology. You arent restricted at all but I would look if that drama a level will be accepted because some unis dont accept it for some courses. Btw I'm taking History, Physics and Maths and I want to do law at uni :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Oh I didn't know that oops, I thought one of the law students I knew told me that.

I guess it helps with essay writing but its never been a requirement.
Original post by DaisyOC

If you want to.do law then I'd probably ditch drama and pick something like history/English literature/a language or something similar.
Original post by Emma:-)
If you want to.do law then I'd probably ditch drama and pick something like history/English literature/a language or something similar.

I agree that they should ditch drama. Even though it'll be non-preferred but it wouldn't be excluded unless I'm wrong and there is a uni that does exclude it, it would definitely hinder their competitiveness tho. However, they can pick absolutely anything
As above it's fine, for law or otherwise.

Outside of law, biology and geography may be a stimulating combination for going on to e.g. human sciences, archaeology, anthropology (especially biological anthropology), or some more conservation/ecology oriented bioscience courses (which accept only one science course) or some more evolution/biologically oriented earth sciences courses (such as oceanography or palaeontology), provided you meet the requirements in terms of science subjects. I would note that while most STEM courses expect two core sciences/maths at A-level, they are widely available with a foundation year if you did change your mind from law.
However that requires you to know what uni course you want to study which 2 years prior can be hard. Best to pick at least some subjects which are close enough to one another and maximises the variety of courses you can do

ahh trusay, nvm then disregard my post!

then again when the time comes to chose uni's/course the OP would be influenced by her/his then subjects to lean towards a specific field/course, so it rlly doesnt matter (unless the OP is comfortable w/ sciences so he/she can have as many paths open as possible but im assuming they arn't) they just need to enjoy their subjects and course I guess not everyone is in it for the money too (not that im saying ur in it for the p but i am tho xD and it aint goin well😂)

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest