gardener129
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I am a student in year 13 who has recently had exams cancelled due to corona virus. My predicted grades were not good enough (BBB) and so I have chosen to repeat year 13 however I am concerned that this will impact my chances of getting into vet school. I have diagnosed learning disabilities also which could help my situation by applying under special circumstances. Does anyone know, under my current situation, if I stand a chance of getting into veterinary medicine. Thankyou very much for any advice as to what I should do as with information the government has given us I am very unclear as to what steps I should be taking at this point in my life. (edit: They are giving us our predicted grades as actual grades as exams are not happening this academic year).
Last edited by gardener129; 6 months ago
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Personally I also took a resit year - I wasn't that committed to sixth form and was not set on vet until after my AS results - Chemistry was a right off so had an extra year to fix that. Applied to Surrey, Nottingham, RVC and Liverpool - rejected the following day from Surrey but interviews and offers from the other three. Would you be more competitive without a resit year? absolutely. Is it impossible to get in with one? Think I am proof it isn't

Just write a cracking personal statement and have way more work experience than required and you'll go far
Schnuckiboo
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by TheWannabeFarmer)
Personally I also took a resit year - I wasn't that committed to sixth form and was not set on vet until after my AS results - Chemistry was a right off so had an extra year to fix that. Applied to Surrey, Nottingham, RVC and Liverpool - rejected the following day from Surrey but interviews and offers from the other three. Would you be more competitive without a resit year? absolutely. Is it impossible to get in with one? Think I am proof it isn't

Just write a cracking personal statement and have way more work experience than required and you'll go far
You can probably make yourself more competitive in a resit year too by doing extra work experience or reading, although the former may be harder with the virus at the moment
OrangeArcher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm resitting my a levels this year after not achieving the grades I needed for my vet school offer last year. I applied to Bristol, Harper & Keele, Liverpool and Surrey this year. I got interview invites from Liverpool and Harper & Keele and received offers from both of them (heard back from Harper & Keele a few days after my interview but they said that most applicants would hear back a month or so after my interview date). I decided to withdraw from Bristol and Surrey after receiving offers from my two top choices. It's definitely feasible to receive offers from vet schools if you are resitting a levels. A large majority of interviewers at my vet interviews were impressed that I was committed to resitting my a levels and didn't have any negative thoughts about people resitting a levels.
gardener129
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheWannabeFarmer)

Thanks so much for the advice. I have been working at a vets near my house for 4 years now consistently every week and aim to get alot more done in the time I have.
gardener129
Rep:
?
(Original post by OrangeArcher)
I'm resitting my a levels this year after not achieving the grades I needed for my vet school offer last year. I applied to Bristol, Harper & Keele, Liverpool and Surrey this year. I got interview invites from Liverpool and Harper & Keele and received offers from both of them (heard back from Harper & Keele a few days after my interview but they said that most applicants would hear back a month or so after my interview date). I decided to withdraw from Bristol and Surrey after receiving offers from my two top choices. It's definitely feasible to receive offers from vet schools if you are resitting a levels. A large majority of interviewers at my vet interviews were impressed that I was committed to resitting my a levels and didn't have any negative thoughts about people resitting a levels.
Thanks so much, thats a real reassurance for me as after doing a little bit of looking around online i thought i would be doomed.
OrangeArcher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by gardener129)
Thanks so much, thats a real reassurance for me as after doing a little bit of looking around online i thought i would be doomed.
Look at vet school websites and admissions statements. Quite a few vet schools allow resits and off the top of my head I know that Liverpool, Bristol, Surrey, Harper & Keele, Nottingham and RVC allow resits. I know for RVC you need to have achieved BBC or higher first time round to be eligible to apply whilst resitting a levels. The majority of vet schools that accept resits usually state a maximum of one resit per subject apart from Surrey (which doesn't state a maximum amount of resits per a level subject on their admissions statement) but I'd check the admission policies of the vet schools to check.
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I am a student in year 13 who has recently had exams cancelled due to corona virus. My predicted grades were not good enough (BBB) and so I have chosen to repeat year 13 however I am concerned that this will impact my chances of getting into vet school. I have diagnosed learning disabilities also which could help my situation by applying under special circumstances. Does anyone know, under my current situation, if I stand a chance of getting into veterinary medicine. Thankyou very much for any advice as to what I should do as with information the government has given us I am very unclear as to what steps I should be taking at this point in my life. (edit: They are giving us our predicted grades as actual grades as exams are not happening this academic year).
I resat a year (for health reasons) and was not penalised in any way. It is certainly possible you might get higher than your predicted grades if you repeat, or ask for lower offers due to your learning disability. Are you getting enough support for your learning disability?? It would be worth emailing the vet schools individuals to see what they recommend.
TheWannabeFarmer
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Theres a lot of negativity online about if you have anything less than perfect grades you won't get in - you'll typically find this is from people with perfect grades who can't get in as they just lack the right mentality for it.

Keep keeping on
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (90)
14%
I'm not sure (30)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (204)
31.73%
I have already dropped out (14)
2.18%
I'm not a current university student (305)
47.43%

Watched Threads