?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
By Oxford Mum
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have I missed something? What’s going on?
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
We live in difficult times at the moment. Being apart from our friends, and relatives is tough. In our interconnected world, isolation can be depressing and unnatural, particularly when you are young and feel your life is just beginning.

This is why a friend asked me to repeat a story about his own father on TSR.

Picture Sheffield in wartime Britain. Living conditions were not great for the majority of people. The houses were back to back. The toilets were outside, often at the bottom of the garden. Also in the garden was an object you may not be familiar with. The Anderson shelter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHyxP3epU-w
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-back-to-life

These basic corrugated iron structures were meant to keep families safe when the sirens went off and the bombing began. Two families would squeeze into the cramped shelter and sit down on the dirt floor. Uncomplaining, and completely used to the dangers, my friend's father would play board games as the deadly bombs whizzed by overhead.

After the bombardment, there would be no mobile phones to use, to check if their friends were ok. The only way they would find out was when they went to school the next day, and there would be an empty space where their friends used to sit.

What I am trying to say is no matter how inconvenient isolation and social distancing are now, we do not have to go through what my grandparents, and your great grandparents, had to endure.

Decades later, these brave children are now in their 80s and 90s. Looking forward to a well earned, peaceful and incident free retirement , the last thing they must have expected would be the fresh threat that is coronavirus.

So let us at all times be mindful of those who should never have to re-live the nightmare they thought they had left behind and keep acting responsibly.
Last edited by Oxford Mum; 2 weeks ago
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
We live in difficult times at the moment. Being apart from our friends, and relatives is tough. In our interconnected world, isolation can be depressing and unnatural, particularly when you are young and feel your life is just beginning.

This is why a friend asked me to repeat a story about his own father on TSR.

Picture Sheffield in wartime Britain. Living conditions were not great for the majority of people. The houses were back to back. The toilets were outside, often at the bottom of the garden. Also in the garden was an object you may not be familiar with. The Anderson shelter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHyxP3epU-w
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-back-to-life

These basic corrugated iron structures were meant to keep families safe when the sirens went off and the bombing began. Two families would squeeze into the cramped shelter and sit down on the dirt floor. Uncomplaining, and completely used to the dangers, my friend's father would play board games as the deadly bombs whizzed by overhead.

After the bombardment, there would be no mobile phones to use, to check if their friends were ok. The only way they would find out was when they went to school the next day, and there would be an empty space where their friends used to sit.

What I am trying to say is no matter how inconvenient isolation and social distancing are now, we do not have to go through what my grandparents, and your great grandparents, had to endure.

Decades later, these brave children are now in their 80s and 90s. Looking forward to a well earned, peaceful and incident free retirement , the last thing they must have expected would be the fresh threat that is coronavirus.

So let us at all times be mindful of those who should never have to re-live the nightmare they thought they had left behind and keep acting responsibly.
Mmm

My mother was a WAAF in WWII and it is quite clear that she had the time of her life; dances, movies, dashing young men in Airforce blue wanting to take her out and even a completely unauthorised flight in a bomber.

Peoples’ experiences of the War were all very different.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Mmm

My mother was a WAAF in WWII and it is quite clear that she had the time of her life; dances, movies, dashing young men in Airforce blue wanting to take her out and even a completely unauthorised flight in a bomber.

Peoples’ experiences of the War were all very different.
Both my nans spoke fondly of it, too. I think it was a mindset thing. they were young women during (both met my granddads when they were home on leave, actually).

Different story for me granddads, obviously
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My great grandpa before he passed always told a similar story, he was in the Airforce during WWII. Spoke of all the hardships him and others had to go through in these times. Funny though, how we become so used to technological advances that we can't seem to do without where generations before managed to cope just fine. Definitely a brave lot after going through so much worse and perhaps going through it again.

Thank you for sharing.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
My great grandpa before he passed always told a similar story, he was in the Airforce during WWII. Spoke of all the hardships him and others had to go through in these times. Funny though, how we become so used to technological advances that we can't seem to do without where generations before managed to cope just fine. Definitely a brave lot after going through so much worse and perhaps going through it again.

Thank you for sharing.
Thank you, midget. Is your fiance with you, or are you separated by the epidemic?
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nobody:

Oxford Mum: Picture Sheffield in wartime Britain. Did I mention my kid goes to Oxford?
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you, midget. Is your fiance with you, or are you separated by the epidemic?
He's still with me, luckily. I think I would have gone stir crazy if he wasn't here. :lol:
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
I am glad for you xx
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you, midget.
:giggle:
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Etomidate)
Nobody:

Oxford Mum: Picture Sheffield in wartime Britain. Did I mention my kid goes to Oxford?
Lol
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yet that's exactly what is happening. My 85 year old dad is trapped in the house just as he was under the stairs in the 1940s. Difference being family cant visit now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.08%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (175)
9.83%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.08%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.88%

Watched Threads