a.frh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm currently looking for poems to do my NEA on and finding it quite difficult to decide... is it a good idea to just go down a well-traveled route and do a well-known poet? I don't really want to because I feel like that makes it a bit too easy, but I read far more prose than I do poetry so I feel less sure of my own judgement in poetry.
If anyone knows of any good poems that reference Greek mythology, or any predominantly feminist poets, please let me know!!
allstoriesrtrue
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I went with one relatively unheard of text and one more well known one for my NEA last year so I think you can do either route. (I did AQA for reference). Carol Ann Duffy’s collections are generally quite varied, feminist and often reference Greek mythology; many schools do them so there’s a myriad of materials out there (for example Feminine Gospels was one of my set texts and I think other courses do The World’s Wife). Maya Angelou and Monica Yon also have some really good collections. Meadowland is the first collection that comes to mind in regards to Greek mythology.

It’s really how your write it and your points more than the texts themselves though so I wouldn’t panic too much. Good luck!
a.frh
Rep:
?
(Original post by allstoriesrtrue)
I went with one relatively unheard of text and one more well known one for my NEA last year so I think you can do either route. (I did AQA for reference). Carol Ann Duffy’s collections are generally quite varied, feminist and often reference Greek mythology; many schools do them so there’s a myriad of materials out there (for example Feminine Gospels was one of my set texts and I think other courses do The World’s Wife). Maya Angelou and Monica Yon also have some really good collections. Meadowland is the first collection that comes to mind in regards to Greek mythology.

It’s really how your write it and your points more than the texts themselves though so I wouldn’t panic too much. Good luck!
Thanks! This is really helpful.
allstoriesrtrue
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Np, what exam board and texts are you studying? Sometimes you can double up on context
mtanvir
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I used the Goblin Market for my NEA & it was a pretty straightforward text. It reads as a fairy tale, so I compared it to Carter's 'Bloody Chamber' collection.
a.frh
Rep:
?
(Original post by allstoriesrtrue)
Np, what exam board and texts are you studying? Sometimes you can double up on context
AQA, and Othello, Death of A Salesman, Keats for tragedy, then Atonement, Hamlet and Rime of the Ancient Mariner for crime.
allstoriesrtrue
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So quite the range! I think I did the other course entirely but if you want any help on Othello hmu as we covered that too x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (270)
15.54%
Uncertainty around my education (273)
15.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
10.01%
Isolating with family (122)
7.02%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (78)
4.49%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (145)
8.34%
Loneliness (172)
9.9%
Financial worries (68)
3.91%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (158)
9.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (124)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (154)
8.86%

Watched Threads