Fosbourne85
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hey guys,
So I'm in year 12 and been researching, and I came across foundation year(s) at university.
Could anyone just expalin to me what these are exactly and how and when they work please?
Many thanks
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Fosbourne85)
Hey guys,
So I'm in year 12 and been researching, and I came across foundation year(s) at university.
Could anyone just expalin to me what these are exactly and how and when they work please?
Many thanks
Hey, here's a little breakdown I did a while ago:

Found yourself wondering what a foundation year is and whether you will need to do one or not? Rest assured, this thread will give you a simple breakdown of what they are, why you might need to do one and how they work.

So, what exactly is a Foundation Year?

A foundation year is an extra year of study at the start of a university course. Most (but not all) courses can be accessed via a foundation year. A foundation year is closely linked to the degree you will progress onto, it can be seen as an introduction to university.

In what situation would I need to enter into a Foundation Year?

Foundation years are often seen as a stepping stone into the world of higher education. They can be useful for mature students who may have taken some time out of education and find the idea of getting back in the classroom quite daunting. They can also be helpful if you don’t quite have the qualifications to make it onto an undergraduate course.

How does a Foundation Year work in relation to my degree?

Your foundation year will act as the key to the door for your degree. Overall, if your course was originally 3 years, with a foundation year it would be four. With regards to finance, students are currently entitled to four years of student finance - this would cover a foundation year (+ your 3 year degree).

It is worth noting that there is a difference between a foundation year and a foundation degree.

A foundation year will provide you with access onto a degree course whereas a foundation degree is a standalone qualification which is the equivalent of 2 out of 3 years of a bachelor's degree.

I hope this cleared some things up for you, but drop any questions in the comments and I’ll make sure to get back to you!

Mia
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Fosbourne85)
Hey guys,
Many thanks
The really big issue is that foundation years count as 1 year of your student finance meaning if you start a degree course and dont like it you wont have the extra years funding to restart a different course. Many people start courses find it isnt for them then restart a 3 year degree elsewhere or a different course at the same university. You rule that option out by taking foundation years. I would strongly suggest considering whether you would be better off taking an extra years A level or Access course at your local college rather than a foundation year due to the cost implication.
Liverpool Hope University
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
The really big issue is that foundation years count as 1 year of your student finance meaning if you start a degree course and dont like it you wont have the extra years funding to restart a different course. Many people start courses find it isnt for them then restart a 3 year degree elsewhere or a different course at the same university. You rule that option out by taking foundation years. I would strongly suggest considering whether you would be better off taking an extra years A level or Access course at your local college rather than a foundation year due to the cost implication.
Yes, exactly what swanseajack1 said, there are other options too! So make sure to consider them all before making a decision

Mia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (15)
17.05%
No one else does (30)
34.09%
I'm embarrassed about my background (10)
11.36%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (28)
31.82%
We don't use a video platform (2)
2.27%
I don't have a camera (2)
2.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.14%

Watched Threads