Will SQA grade bands (e.g. A1, A2, B3 etc) exist since exams cancelled?

Watch
arshakshahr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Yo everyone. Bit concerning for me rn as I was hoping to get all A1s which is fairly important since Oxbridge actually ask for such bands, as oppose to just A, B, C etc.

In light of this coronavirus pandemic, it's clear that our grades will be dependant on what the SQA recieves as evidence aswell as coursework. Will they still consider the grade boundaries even though it'd be difficult if not impossible for them to quantify this evidence and fit it into band boundaries?

ANY HELP WOULD BE BLESSED, THANK YOU ALL, STAY SAFE
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by arshakshahr)
Yo everyone. Bit concerning for me rn as I was hoping to get all A1s which is fairly important since Oxbridge actually ask for such bands, as oppose to just A, B, C etc.

In light of this coronavirus pandemic, it's clear that our grades will be dependant on what the SQA recieves as evidence aswell as coursework. Will they still consider the grade boundaries even though it'd be difficult if not impossible for them to quantify this evidence and fit it into band boundaries?

ANY HELP WOULD BE BLESSED, THANK YOU ALL, STAY SAFE
Good question :yep:

They've not really confirmed what the situation will be yet, and while it's not important for 99.9% of people's applications, you're right in that it can be for Oxbridge. The SQA haven't stated whether people will receive a mark (which then implies/gives a band) or just a letter grade, but they are expected to confirm more details over the next couple of weeks.

What I think we can be fairly certain on (as certain as we can be without them actually saying it) is the Oxbridge shouldn't (and won't want) to disadvantage anyone if there aren't any bands that people can be separated into this year. If there are no bands, when you submit your UCAS application, your teacher reference can include why this is the case.

Overall, I think that while it is a valid concern, it isn't one to be too worried about, as everyone will be in the same boat, and it isn't your fault that you wouldn't have them. Hope this helps calm any worries
arshakshahr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Labrador99)
Good question :yep:

They've not really confirmed what the situation will be yet, and while it's not important for 99.9% of people's applications, you're right in that it can be for Oxbridge. The SQA haven't stated whether people will receive a mark (which then implies/gives a band) or just a letter grade, but they are expected to confirm more details over the next couple of weeks.

What I think we can be fairly certain on (as certain as we can be without them actually saying it) is the Oxbridge shouldn't (and won't want) to disadvantage anyone if there aren't any bands that people can be separated into this year. If there are no bands, when you submit your UCAS application, your teacher reference can include why this is the case.

Overall, I think that while it is a valid concern, it isn't one to be too worried about, as everyone will be in the same boat, and it isn't your fault that you wouldn't have them. Hope this helps calm any worries
Thanks for your reply. Yes this was very calming and useful hahaha. I feel especially relieved that you didn't say 'bUt gRaDe bAnDs dOn'T mAtTeR for uNi'. Thanks again I also realise that we don't know very much at the moment about the action plan, but I know it will be fine.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by arshakshahr)
Thanks for your reply. Yes this was very calming and useful hahaha. I feel especially relieved that you didn't say 'bUt gRaDe bAnDs dOn'T mAtTeR for uNi'. Thanks again I also realise that we don't know very much at the moment about the action plan, but I know it will be fine.
Hey, I'm an offer holder for Cambridge.

They ask for your bands at Higher on the SAQ (supplementary applicant questionnaire). As far as I know, teacher's are being asked to estimate bands as opposed to grades, so this would likely be the same for next year's applicants.

However, I'd imagine they'd take the situation this year more holistically. If you've produced work that is consistently 85%+ throughout the year, your teacher should really be predicting 1s anyway. I'm sure you'll be fine, though

If you have any other general questions about Oxbridge applications as a Scottish student, feel free to DM me.
Last edited by 123543; 1 week ago
arshakshahr
Rep:
?
(Original post by 123543)
Hey, I'm an offer holder for Cambridge.

They ask for your bands at Higher on the SAQ (supplementary applicant questionnaire). As far as I know, teacher's are being asked to estimate bands as opposed to grades, so this would likely be the same for next year's applicants.

However, I'd imagine they'd take the situation this year more holistically. If you've produced work that is consistently 85%+ throughout the year, your teacher should really be predicting 1s anyway. I'm sure you'll be fine, though

If you have any other general questions about Oxbridge applications as a Scottish student, feel free to DM me.
Thanks so much, I feel like I've been blessed. To be honest, I think if this is the case then I will be fine. I think I should get A1s for 3 subjects; 2 I'm not so sure about. But anyway, I'll definitely DM you if I feel unsure about any part of the application process.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (228)
33.78%
No (447)
66.22%

Watched Threads