The Student Room Group

Punishment for the Majority because of the actions of the Minority in the UK

Well I am new here and enjoyed the debates I have on here so far. I been polite, I haven’t been rude or throw personal insults to others. However I found my right to freedom of speech on here stop.

I am reference to the thread Beijing 2008: Time for China to show that its power is for real.

We have a good debate in that thread today but now the thread has been closed. The only insult was given was by two individuals who post negative comments towards an individual. It is not right that individuals should be told to go and died. However imply punishment on everyone involved in the thread is equally not right. Surely take the posting rights away for these individuals for so many days would be a better punishment. Instead punishment everyone for the crime of a few is wrong and now our debate has been force to stop.

It’s a common factor we are seeing in our society. Some young people get totally drunk, cause problems and end up in trouble in the law. Most young people will drink but not get so drunk they cause problems and end up in trouble with the laws. However there been many calls that the drinking age should rise to 21 and supermarket should avoid selling drink to people below 21. There are calls to raise prices with more taxes on drink because of action of the minority. There are many case studies where young people are put into a box and because some are wrong by they all wrong by associate. Civil rights laws are going by the bucket loads that protect the majority so we can stop the few minorities’ crazy people in the country.

I wanted to clearly show my objection to this action because it is wrong. We’re starting to see it in our society the punishment of the majority by the action of the minority and it a shame to see it on the TSR. It does seem only a few individual needs to spam a thread to warrant it to be closed. In future I don’t actually need to “debate” but instead I can spam a few insults around and watch the thread closed every time I didn’t agree with something.

As a whole is our society now going down the road where it feel it need to take action take everyone by of the action of the minority? Are we class everyone into boxes with labels. Is it right we take such action to say to group of young people sitting on a wall they should move on?
I don't know whether you're objecting to this on TSR or generally, but that's the way it is. There will always be idiots, so the rest of us have to suffer or lose out so they can't cause trouble. I'm in Year 11 (going into Year 12 in September), and this year our school wouldn't even tell us what day we were leaving on so people couldn't pull pranks like setting off the fire alarm. I was annoyed because I couldn't get a shirt signed or anything, but even more hurt that they left on a day when I'd had five hours of exams. Understandably I wanted to go home, but if I'd known everyone was leaving, I would've stayed. But nobody told me since it wasn't the "right time" - everyone had to find out together in the hall at the end of the day.
Reply 2
Irv
OP
Muppety_Kid
I don't know whether you're objecting to this on TSR or generally, but that's the way it is. There will always be idiots, so the rest of us have to suffer or lose out so they can't cause trouble. I'm in Year 11 (going into Year 12 in September), and this year our school wouldn't even tell us what day we were leaving on so people couldn't pull pranks like setting off the fire alarm. I was annoyed because I couldn't get a shirt signed or anything, but even more hurt that they left on a day when I'd had five hours of exams. Understandably I wanted to go home, but if I'd known everyone was leaving, I would've stayed. But nobody told me since it wasn't the "right time" - everyone had to find out together in the hall at the end of the day.

Both really! The fact that the TSR seem it accepted to make the majority to paid for the actions of few individuals is really sad, plus it was a really good debate. I have read the other China threads and there was lot more insulted in though than the one I was reference to above yet they're still opened. Then again I am old; I am used to working with local government, government, NGO and not been in the position to keep my opinions to myself when I think something is wrong.

I think it's sad that your school take such a negative view of it students. Unless you've middle school you've been with your fellow students for five years and knowing the last day of school is important to do the goodbye. The fact they worry that one or two might do something like a fire alarm is wrong. It's label you all as trouble makers and subject you all to be treat as such so not having to have any proper goodbye or fun day before you leave. We did it in the 80s and 90s and our school live for another school year so I don’t see why our society is going down this route now.
Reply 3
That is quite a spectacular overreaction you've produced there.
Reply 4
Irv
OP
MSB
That is quite a spectacular overreaction you've produced there.

It inspire me to start a new topic about UK society and it problems how people misuse their position. ie. the police against young police and so forth. I wanted to know if others share the view that they feel punishment in our society because they're young. It like when shop owners say that only two young people in a shop at a time.

Some young people steal but so do some older people too. Yet we don't see signs that said "only two adults" in this shop at any time. I wanted to start a debate on this and see what are young people feeling on the topic.

By associate it's a shame the TSR isn't able to allowed good debates on here because of the actions of few individuals but I am using it as case study for my topic.
Irv
Both really! The fact that the TSR seem it accepted to make the majority to paid for the actions of few individuals is really sad, plus it was a really good debate. I have read the other China threads and there was lot more insulted in though than the one I was reference to above yet they're still opened. Then again I am old; I am used to working with local government, government, NGO and not been in the position to keep my opinions to myself when I think something is wrong.

I think it's sad that your school take such a negative view of it students. Unless you've middle school you've been with your fellow students for five years and knowing the last day of school is important to do the goodbye. The fact they worry that one or two might do something like a fire alarm is wrong. It's label you all as trouble makers and subject you all to be treat as such so not having to have any proper goodbye or fun day before you leave. We did it in the 80s and 90s and our school live for another school year so I don’t see why our society is going down this route now.

Well, in all fairness to the school, it was getting out of hand. Last year, they put washing up liquid down the staircases and fish behind the radiators, so the pranks were becoming dangerous. I still think they should've put us all in the sports hall and had a mini-disco or something though.

I doubt you'll get many responses to this thread, but never mind. I dunno, I'm in a daydreaming mood, so I'm not making much sense...
TSR doesn't operate by some ueberhuman morality. It operates by it's EULA and is keeping it I guess.

You might think it was a "really good debate", but the mods don't think so, and in the end, they are the arbitrators. This is a privately owned website. You signed up to the EULA, as did the people who are debating China. Do the math.

Latest

Trending

Trending