Report Thread starter 9 months ago
1 2
Last edited by username5221914; 6 months ago
Clanderson
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I am 50 and am starting a mental health nursing degree next month. My situation is a little different as I already have a degree - I am making a career change. If you can sit tight for a while - you may have better luck going through Clearing ?
OnlySonia
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by R2d2020)
Hi Clanderson,
I wasn't sure how clearing works but maybe there is some hope yet.
All the best with your training!
With clearing you can’t apply for the course again at the same university you have already applied for but you could apply to other universities or for different courses at the same university, sometimes they are more lenient with entry requirements to fill places but not for the requirements required by the NMC 😀
Last edited by OnlySonia; 9 months ago
musicnurse
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Entry requirements vary depending on the university, but UCAS states "you are likely to need at least two (usually three) A-levels, Highers, or equivalent qualifications at Level 3, plus supporting GCSEs including English, maths, and a science (usually biology or human biology)." So generally speaking you should be fine as long as you have the appropriate A Level/Level 3 grades/tariff points for your chosen uni - check their website & you can always contact them to query it/appeal if you believe you fit the entry requirements & the university didn't follow its own admissions procedures.

It may be that they have specific entry requirements regarding subjects (for example some universities require any foundations to be in health subjects or may have specific Level 3 qualifications such as a science-based subject) which if you don't fit that requirement they may suggest doing the Access to HE Diploma so that you do meet that requirement. The other common reason they may suggest doing the Access course is not meeting the required number of UCAS tariff points, for example an A* in a Foundation course is 56 points, NVQ 3s are generally not worth any UCAS points, a B at A Level is 40 points... UCAS tariff calculator can tally up how many points you have so you can compare it to the tariff points required by your uni!

Best of luck with your application!
username5221914
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by OnlySonia)
With clearing you can’t apply for the course again at the same university you have already applied for but you could apply to other universities or for different courses at the same university, sometimes they are more lenient with entry requirements to fill places but not for the requirements required by the NMC 😀
Thanks Sonia, that's helpful to know
musicnurse
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thank you for your email, I have queried it but got the same response. The reason for their decision is that I haven't studied in the last 5years. I have tried to get them to reconsider based on my current role but no luck unfortunately.
Ah yes I've read that it's an issue for many mature students who "have been out of formal education for some time" (UCAS website)... I wasn't aware there was a numerical figure associated with it though, news to me too!
I know you mentioned the finance side of things in terms of the Access course, there are Advanced Learner Loans available (similar to the Tuition Fee & Maintenance Loans for undergrad degrees) for Access courses. https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan unsure if it's any help for you but may be good to know
musicnurse
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Fingers crossed for you!!☺️
Marina_w
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hello,

Looking for a bit of advice please.

For a few years I have been hoping to train as a mental health nurse, I currently work as youth worker having trained at Uni in 2002 for 3 years and gained a foundation degree and He diploma, Nvq 3.

For the last 8 years I have been working as as part of a multi disciplinary team with young people experiencing mental health issues.

When the NHS bursary came back I was excited as meant it was potentially financially feasible to increase my knowledge to make me more effective in the field of mental health.

I have unfortunately been informed by Ucas that my intended Uni have declined declined my application and it has been suggested that I do an access to higher education diploma.

I have tried to appeal this in light of recent relevant experience and that I have already obtained a higher level qualification.

I have 4 A Levels and good GCSE's and it would not be financially feasible for me to do an access course. I currently work for a University in the student support team and have offered to provide references from colleagues etc.

So far I am being told that I would need to do an access course to be considered.

I am 39 years old and just wondered if anyone has had similar experience or any advice for me in evidencing recent experience in order for me to gain a place at Uni on Mental health nurse training.

The whole situation seems odd to me and I am obviously disappointed at the moment.

In my view it would be better for me to do a top year via the open University to get a full degree and then apply opposed to an access course.

Sorry for rambling just feeling a bit confused by what I have been informed so far.

Any thoughts by anyone who has successfully got into Mental health nurse training as a mature student would be appreciated.

Thank you
You have to contact your preferred uni, ucas can not decide, they just give you advice, uni decide, i dont see any problem why you cant go to uni with your qualification, many uni considered for nvq 3, i havent even have nvq 3, only nvq2 health and social care, plus working in nhs, although i have educated abroad over 15years ago(a level equivalent), i just been offered place from adult nursing a couple days ago. Worth to try to applied. Goodluck, with your passion and your experience you will be good nurse
Clanderson
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Your CPD should count as learning - if you did any online things for your youth worker post to keep you up to date etc . Good luck x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads