d r e a m y
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, the question says "Explain how it is possible for blood to return to the heart when the vein pressures are so low"

The mark scheme reads:
"Massaging effect / contraction of muscles / (prevention of backflow) by valves /suction effect of the relaxing heart (not less resistance due to wider lumen)".

I don't understand the answers here, could someone explain as online ones are in too much detail for a 1 marker.
Mapleservers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Seems a big question for a 1 marker - I’m assuming you only have to give a short example? Probably 10 words maximum
Mapleservers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The valves direct the blood heartwards and prevent it from falling back again
d r e a m y
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mapleservers)
Seems a big question for a 1 marker - I’m assuming you only have to give a short example? Probably 10 words maximum
The answer is "Massaging effect / contraction of muscles / (prevention of backflow) by valves /suction effect of the relaxing heart (not less resistance due to wider lumen)" but I dont get it
d r e a m y
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mapleservers)
The valves direct the blood heartwards and prevent it from falling back again
okay tyy
raspbewwies
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by d r e a m y)
Hi, the question says "Explain how it is possible for blood to return to the heart when the vein pressures are so low"

The mark scheme reads:
"Massaging effect / contraction of muscles / (prevention of backflow) by valves /suction effect of the relaxing heart (not less resistance due to wider lumen)".

I don't understand the answers here, could someone explain as online ones are in too much detail for a 1 marker.
Filling of the heart during diastole (when it relaxes) is due to the pressure in the right atrium falling below venous pressure, encouraging venous flow. That's the key reason - contraction of muscles and valves help avoid venous stasis (blood pooling).

Source: med school

Hope that helps!
d r e a m y
Rep:
?
(Original post by raspbewwies)
Filling of the heart during diastole (when it relaxes) is due to the pressure in the right atrium falling below venous pressure, encouraging venous flow. That's the key reason - contraction of muscles and valves help avoid venous stasis (blood pooling).

Source: med school

Hope that helps!
OHH!! Thank you!!!!
Jpw1097
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by d r e a m y)

The mark scheme reads:

Venous blood from above the level of the heart is returned via gravity. In the legs, contraction of muscles in the legs squeezes the veins and pushes blood back to the heart. The reason why venous blood only moves towards the heart when muscles contract is because of the valves, which prevent the back flow of blood. Also, during inspiration, the thorax expands and the intrathoracic pressure (including the heart) decreases, which increases venous return.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (274)
34.16%
No (528)
65.84%

Watched Threads